Author Topic: A Wedding in Six Weeks?!?!?  (Read 5978 times)

justme2

Re: A Wedding in Six Weeks?!?!?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2014, 04:37:36 AM »
You really should sample the boxes of wine. They are not bad at all, the pricing is good and they are easily transported. I don't know if you are going to a self serve bar or not, but if you do and don't want to present a box of wine, you could put it in a beverage dispenser (something like http://www.homewetbar.com/adornment-glass-beverage-dispenser-p-1688.html) . Just make sure that the adult beverages are placed away from the children beverages and they are labeled. If you have a winery close by they also will be happy to do a tasting. I have found them to be very reasonable in pricing.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 07:43:31 AM »
Easy and cheap affordable centerpieces: glass bowls or giant brandy glasses ( get at a craft store or dollar store), fill with pebbles or marbles ( available at same places). Then add water and a floating candle.

Or do what my cousin did - fill huge bowls with M&Ms ;D
Great idea! Especially the chocolate part because I will NEED chocolate and wine and then more wine
LOL. just note that some people are grossed out by this (you know, everyone sticking their hand into the communal M&M bowl)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Kaymar

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2014, 09:44:45 AM »
Easy and cheap affordable centerpieces: glass bowls or giant brandy glasses ( get at a craft store or dollar store), fill with pebbles or marbles ( available at same places). Then add water and a floating candle.

Great idea! Especially the chocolate part because I will NEED chocolate and wine and then more wine

It is hard to tell what extent you are joking or if you are in fact very stressed out. I honestly can't understand expecting another adult to plan my event for me, so you would be fully justified in asking the happy couple to take on the work and stress and not leave it to you.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2014, 04:54:35 PM »

LOL. just note that some people are grossed out by this (you know, everyone sticking their hand into the communal M&M bowl)

You can add a spoon to avoid that.

jazzgirl205

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »
This is what some organizations do for fundraiser teas.  Members volunteer to "sponsor a table."  That means that a member is responsible for the linens, silverware, and china for one table.  They use their family's fine china etc..  Each table is very elegant and different from the others.  Perhaps close friends and family could decorate a table with the nice things they have if you decide on a sit down meal.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
I gotta ask - where are your son and his fiancee in all this? They want to get married in 6 weeks so most of this should fall on their shoulders, not yours.

They are both heavily involved but have asked DH & I and STB DIL's parents to help, which we are all very willing to do. 

I'm getting some great ideas here, thank you!

Just to address this point--it's great that you guys are willing to help out, but I would just be super-clear with the HC about what that means. I mean, that sentence--"have asked DH & I and STB DIL's parents to help, which we are all very willing to do"--could simply be referring to handing over a check, while the HC make all the arrangements.

I think what I would do to help, is do the tedious things that the HC have already decided on. Maybe I would buy and cook the food they told me to, in the amounts they wanted. Or after they picked out decorations, I would work alongside them to decorate the space. I could print the invitations and envelopes after they already vetted the guest list and addresses. I could tie up M&M's inside little circles of tulle after they showed me what they wanted.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking an even more active role, but it does seem to be stressing you out, and I think really there's no need for that. The HC are adults and made this decision to get married quickly and while of course you don't want to leave them out there to dangle, it would be okay to let them run the show, and just be the helper. They want hay bales? Then they figure out where to get them and how to get them to the location, and maybe you agree to meet the truck. And you could say, "Hay bales are prickly, what are you going to put down over them for seating?" in case they haven't thought of that, but then let them figure it out. Then you could offer to go buy/pick up the thing they decided on.

Maybe they won't get everything they envision--I don't think a hay bale sounds very comfortable to sit on, personally. An HC might not get everything they envision no matter how much time they have to plan. That's life. I just get the vibe that maybe you will stress yourself out too much, trying to make things perfect for them, and really, perfect should not be their goal or expectation, and it definitely shouldn't be on you to deliver it.

Just some thoughts. :) I think a nice wedding in six weeks is totally doable, but you don't want to look back and think, "That was the worst six weeks of my life!"
~Lynn2000

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »
This is what some organizations do for fundraiser teas.  Members volunteer to "sponsor a table."  That means that a member is responsible for the linens, silverware, and china for one table.  They use their family's fine china etc..  Each table is very elegant and different from the others.  Perhaps close friends and family could decorate a table with the nice things they have if you decide on a sit down meal.

To be honest I wouldn't be willing to do that. For one i don't have fine china, for another if i did I would be worried about it being broken and a wedding being thrown together in 6 weeks sounds like it could be fun, but doesn't sound like it would have everything in place to ensure that my china makes it back to me in one piece.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 11:02:22 AM »

To be honest I wouldn't be willing to do that. For one i don't have fine china, for another if i did I would be worried about it being broken and a wedding being thrown together in 6 weeks sounds like it could be fun, but doesn't sound like it would have everything in place to ensure that my china makes it back to me in one piece.

I was thinking the same thing.  I think it is a great idea for a fundraiser where everyone is an adult and the tables are set up inside on sturdy surfaces but for an outdoor wedding, potentially with children there, I wouldn't be comfortable with this.

What you could do, though, is scour the local thrift stores for partial sets of china/stoneware/everyday stuff and mix and match for each table, if there is no rental available.  My Mom had tons of odds and sods of china and we've done dinners for around 20 using different pieces, using white serving pieces to pull it together.  It looks cool and is a bit of a conversation starter, especially when everyone at the table has a different plate.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »

I was thinking the same thing.  I think it is a great idea for a fundraiser where everyone is an adult and the tables are set up inside on sturdy surfaces but for an outdoor wedding, potentially with children there, I wouldn't be comfortable with this.

What you could do, though, is scour the local thrift stores for partial sets of china/stoneware/everyday stuff and mix and match for each table, if there is no rental available.  My Mom had tons of odds and sods of china and we've done dinners for around 20 using different pieces, using white serving pieces to pull it together.  It looks cool and is a bit of a conversation starter, especially when everyone at the table has a different plate.

But the OP stated the wedding is for 100. I do think that buying that much china 0 even from thrift shops 0 is going to be more expensive then renting. Personally I would be looking at a caterer that brings the china and the tables and the linens. 100 seems like a lot to try to do yourself.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »
This might sound like stating the obvious, but do make sure they can complete the legalities and book the pastor/celebrant/registrar on time.
NE England

Mikayla

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2014, 04:50:53 PM »
OP, with 100 adults plus kids, I would strongly encourage your son and his fiancee to hire a day of wedding planner (available for other questions and services), and if that's not possible, someone with large group catering expertise.   I did catering in grad school, and we were told that once the group size hits 50, it's time to consider outside help.  At 100, it's mandatory to get professional help. 

There's nothing wrong with family helping with cooking, but that's a far cry from knowing quantities needed for this size group, having people onsite to manage the heating, presentation and refilling, etc.  Also, you didn't mention anything about available kitchen facilities.

I do agree with other comments that this is a pretty massive undertaking, especially if they want it outdoors.  They can't proceed without rain protection, which usually means tent rentals and people to handle the logistics of getting them set up for a large group.

If the invites haven't gone out yet, you may want to rethink parts of this. 

JoW

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »
No china.  No glassware.  Chinet has a great line of heavy-duty paper plates and plastic glassware.  They look good and cleanup is trash bags.  Use the heavier paper napkins, I forget the brand name.  And disposable plastic utensils.  Do you have a Party City near you?  They carry all that stuff in every color you can think of. 

Look at Good Will or other thrift stores for table cloths and bed spreads you can use to cover the hay bales. 

suzieQ

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2014, 12:51:38 AM »
We did DD's wedding in three weeks! Outdoor BBQ for the reception. Went to Sam's Club and got plastic plates (very cute, bright colors) that were cheap enough to toss, but we did keep them for future use, plastic "silverware" and cups.
Even managed to get a  David's Bridal dress (and it did need to be hemmed for the length) within that time.
I think we had about 50 people there, but that was no problem for my husband, who cooks like he's feeding an army.  ;)
It can be done!  :)
Check out my crocheted cross body bags for phones!

http://phlings.blogspot.com/

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2014, 07:35:01 PM »
Second (third? fourth?) looking at party rental stores for rental china, glasses, silverware, tables, chairs, linens, etc.  It is cheaper than you realize, looks classy, and you don't wash a thing.  You may be able to save a delivery fee and pick it up yourselves. 

Yes, you will need help with serving and cleanup for 100 people. 

Fer

• Lurker
  • Blend in, like an elephant wearing a party hat.
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2014, 12:14:09 AM »
OP, with 100 adults plus kids, I would strongly encourage your son and his fiancee to hire a day of wedding planner (available for other questions and services), and if that's not possible, someone with large group catering expertise.   I did catering in grad school, and we were told that once the group size hits 50, it's time to consider outside help.  At 100, it's mandatory to get professional help. 

There's nothing wrong with family helping with cooking, but that's a far cry from knowing quantities needed for this size group, having people onsite to manage the heating, presentation and refilling, etc.  Also, you didn't mention anything about available kitchen facilities.

I do agree with other comments that this is a pretty massive undertaking, especially if they want it outdoors.  They can't proceed without rain protection, which usually means tent rentals and people to handle the logistics of getting them set up for a large group.

If the invites haven't gone out yet, you may want to rethink parts of this.
I agree with hiring a caterer.  You don't have to go all-out and get a Fancy Wedding Caterer if you're having a relaxed BBQ-style reception, but perhaps consider a company that does corporate catering, or spit-roast hire.  They'll be able to gauge the quantities needed and on the day of the wedding you will actually be enjoying your son's nuptials, rather than being too stressed and busy getting things in the oven/out of the fridge/worrying if there is enough food to sit down and have the much needed chocolate and wine.

(and I understand as long as you don't say the W-word, corporate caterers don't need anywhere near as long a lead-time as the Big Fancy Wedding Caterers who need to be booked a year in advance!)