Author Topic: Nancy the Nosy Co-worker  (Read 9947 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Nancy the Nosy Co-worker
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:59 AM »
I agree, it's time to get blunt. Stop trying to be careful of her feelings, she clearly doesn't care about yours.

Yeah..I'm afraid it will have to come to that. I'm pretty bad about being overly nice and just gritting my teeth and dealing with people, but she's getting on my last nerve now and I've noticed people are now actively avoiding coming to my desk to speak to me about things. I've been getting a lot of e-mails and phone calls instead.

If they agree, have those people put in their email to you that they aren't stopping by in person because of Nancy, and then forward those emails to the appropriate supervisors/HR.
~Lynn2000

DanaJ

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »
<snip>  and I've noticed people are now actively avoiding coming to my desk to speak to me about things. I've been getting a lot of e-mails and phone calls instead.

Then you really have reached the point where you can legitimately complain to her supervisor and/or HR. She is impeding your ability to do work and your co-workers' ability to communicate efficiently with you. She has the attention span of a gnat and can't keep her attention on her own tasks.

I'd also start lobbying IT to change the phone setting so she doesn't interrupt you do tell you "Barb's calling!" while your on the phone with Bill. In our old office, the open concept plan was terrible, so we relied on an instant messaging function a lot.

But you shouldn't need to take all those steps.

She has gone beyond the point of good etiquette and now needs some serious bluntness:  "You're not a part of this conversation. Turn around and focus on your own work."

greencat

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2014, 10:45:11 PM »
You're working with the gender-swapped version of my now-former-new-coworker.  I sent emails to my boss detailing his failures to perform and his inappropriate behavior.  It's a lot harder to ignore written communication.  Give your boss's failure to act, you may want to skip your boss and complain directly to HR - viewing cheesecake photos and making sexual comments about them is cited as example of sexual harassment in every training material I've ever been seen on the topic.