Author Topic: Mongolian BBQ question  (Read 6433 times)

Jocelyn

Mongolian BBQ question
« on: August 16, 2014, 06:32:08 PM »
For those who may not know, a Mongolian BBQ is an Asian restaurant where there is a buffet table of raw ingredients one might want in a stir fry. One fills a plate/bowl with one's choices, and at the end of the buffet, one hands it to the cook, who puts it on a grill and stir-fries it for you. Typically, it is much faster to select one's ingredients than it is to cook them, so if one is at the end of the line, one might have to wait 10 minutes or so to be given one's cooked food.

Situation: Customer A is going down the line. He is putting a variety of ingredients on his plate, and taking time to select just what he wants. However, he is not dawdling over his choices. Customer B comes hurrying up to the buffet, quickly tosses a couple of things on his plate, goes around Customer A, and hands his plate to the cook first. A reaches the end of the line about 30 seconds after B.

If this were a cooked-food buffet, there wouldn't be a question- of course a person is not obliged to walk past every single food item. But in this case, B wasn't just walking away from food items he didn't want, he was getting to the end of the line ahead of A, so that his food would be cooked first, even though A was there first.

So settle a debate, please, Ehellions: Was B rude?

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
Re: Mongolian BBQ question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:54:22 PM »
As long as B didn't push around or reach over A, I vote not rude. 30 seconds is quite a bit of time when it comes to a buffet line. If B finished picking out their ingredients, there's no obligation to wait for A to finish before handing off the food to be cooked. For all B knew, A could have taken much longer.
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:58:47 PM »
As long as B didn't push around or reach over A, I vote not rude. 30 seconds is quite a bit of time when it comes to a buffet line. If B finished picking out their ingredients, there's no obligation to wait for A to finish before handing off the food to be cooked. For all B knew, A could have taken much longer.

I agree.

I love Mongolian grills.  I wouldn't even bat an eye if someone walked around me while I was still choosing my food.  They were done first, why would I make them wait for me?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 07:00:54 PM »
I actually feel this is rude without asking if it was okay if he moved past customer A (and I'm the person who would be picking fast as usually I just get chicken, noodles and sauces so super quick).  The only thing I take time on is to ask the cooks to water wash the grill to get the spices of previous people off as I can't do hot spices (I go often enough that they already know to do it when they see me).

jmarvellous

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 07:15:56 PM »
Not rude. I can see where you might feel that way if the ingredient area(s) were set up like a traditional single-file buffet,  but even then, it's fine with me.

I am coming at this as a vegetarian who skips the whole meat area (usually separated somewhat for sanitary reasons) and has jumped to the cooking area rather than wait in some ill-defined open space and potentially block other foot traffic.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 09:40:24 PM »
Not rude unless they trip A to get there first. :)
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 12:52:16 AM »
I actually feel this is rude without asking if it was okay if he moved past customer A (and I'm the person who would be picking fast as usually I just get chicken, noodles and sauces so super quick).  The only thing I take time on is to ask the cooks to water wash the grill to get the spices of previous people off as I can't do hot spices (I go often enough that they already know to do it when they see me).

May I ask why, please?  What purpose would that serve?  I honestly don't understand why the question would need to be asked.  I think it saves time and unneeded interactions to assume the person who is slower than you are can be skipped with them understanding why they are being skipped.  I see it as: we are both headed towars the entrance, but I see that you are being delayed by your children.  Should I hesitate because you parked first?
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 01:03:40 AM »

May I ask why, please?  What purpose would that serve?  I honestly don't understand why the question would need to be asked.  I think it saves time and unneeded interactions to assume the person who is slower than you are can be skipped with them understanding why they are being skipped.  I see it as: we are both headed towars the entrance, but I see that you are being delayed by your children.  Should I hesitate because you parked first?

Because the aisle is narrow and the items in a straight line (at least in the ones around here).  Because you might go to the item (or area as the smaller buckets of food are lined up two to three deep) that they were just about to start on.  Because most people go in groups or at least a couple and you might split up the group and cause their meals to be cooked at different times.  Because they were there first and it's simply polite to ask rather than just barge around and go ahead.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 01:14:54 AM »
It can't hurt to ask, "Can I go ahead" but I don't see it as rude not to. If Person A is still perusing the ingredients, then they are not ready to have their food cooked. Person B is ready. Who knows how long Person A is going to take, and they have a right to take as long as they want.

The Mongolian BBQ I've been to had the raw ingredients set up in kind of a semicircular area and you could meander between the veggie section, the fish section, the meat section, etc., ie it wasn't all one line. Then when you were ready, you took your plate to the cook at the grill in sort of a different line. We weren't all funneled into one narrow line.

I also think that if a couple or group wants their dinners to be ready at the same time, they should organize themselves as a group and say, "OK, are we all ready to go to the grill now?"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:17:10 AM by Raintree »

kudeebee

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 01:16:42 AM »
Not rude at all.  If your plate is ready, no reason to follow the other person down the line while he/she fills his/her plate up.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 01:32:22 AM »
I think it's fine to go ahead to the grill once you're done dishing up whatever meats and veggies you want.

To me, it would be like leaving a buffet line. If I've served myself everything I want, why would I continue on down the line just to reach the end and head for my table? I'm going to peel off and leave. I guess I think of the grill as being step 2 in a process, not part of the serving line. I'd hope people behind me would do the same because I wouldn't want to feel rushed while I decide whether or not I want pineapple, how much garlic I feel like, which sauce to try, etc.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 03:07:16 AM »
Agree with the majority - not rude at all.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

allthelittledaisies

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 03:09:39 AM »
I am a 'slow picker' in situations like this and don't think someone should have to wait for me. They are done, they can proceed. I also vote not rude.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 09:51:16 AM »
At the Genghis Grill here, the ingredients are laid out in a "U" shape, with vegetables on one side, spices in the middle, and meats on the other side.  It's easy and not rude to pass someone up.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »
I don't think it's rude either. At a salad bar, would you wait behind 3 people to finish before going to the cashier if you're done? Yes, in Mongolian BBQ's, it takes longer because the food has to cook, but the cooking process doesn't take that long (in my experience anyway). By the time person A finished, person B's food has already been cooking for 30 seconds which is a lot of time for this type of cooking. B and the cook didn't have to waste time waiting.