Author Topic: Online reviews  (Read 2137 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Online reviews
« on: August 17, 2014, 09:29:39 AM »
Over the years, I've read many online reviews where it's clear that the reviewer is at fault. I was reminded of this yesterday when Mrs.k2002 and I were looking for frock coat patterns for some cosplay ("Dapper Day" at Disneyland for those interested.) We found this great pattern: Patterns - Laughing Moon #109, Men's Frock Coat with Vests 1850-1915. Scroll down and read the 1-star and 2-star reviews and some of the comments on those reviews.

Apparently, it's the vendor's fault that the reviewer failed to see the word "Pattern" in the title and description and therefore thought that they could get a complete frock coat and vest for $17.90. (For comparison, I found a ready-made coat, in a similar style, for $289.00.) They never noticed that there was no option to specify a size. Some of the comments are great, chastising the reviewer for being an idiot. Then you get a couple of ones in the vein of "Oh, thank you for this review, I would have made the same mistake." *sigh* At least they bothered to read the reviews, even if they didn't bother to read the item description.

Please, share yours. I know that hotel and restaurant reviews are fertile ground for this!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

GreenHall

Re: Online reviews
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:44:31 AM »
I've made similar mistakes to the reviewers you mentioned. The difference being, when I got my item, and went back to look, I realized I made a mistake. Why on earth would I want to advertise to all and sundry that I had a reading comprehension fail?

bloo

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
That is hysterical!

Posting for updates. I did *not* know people could be this 'brain-hurty' (why don't I know this?).

Reviews are so helpful. They helped me to decide on 'not' buying the banana slicer, for example.

http://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-571-Banana-Slicer/dp/B0047E0EII

Best reviews ever, btw.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
I can't think of any specific ones, but I always read the reviews for everything, whether it's travel, hotel or a product I'm thinking of buying. I've learned to take them with a grain of salt.  And have gotten pretty good about figuring out who has a legitimate gripe, and who's just a whiner.

I'm going on a cruise two weeks from today (not like I'm counting down the days or anything!) and have been avidly reading the reviews on cruise critic. I've been on two previously, and loved them. As with this one I'm taking, I was amazed at the petty things people chose to complain about. For me, I will only complain or leave a bad review if it's something major, but not something as silly as. "My cruise was ruined because this line doesn't do towel animals in the staterooms" yes, I've seen that.

The other ones that get me are the clearly SS reviewers. Those who didn't have the server or employee'so absolute undivided attention, even when they were only one of many being helped. Really? Please get over yourself.

Coley

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 02:14:07 PM »
I recently tried to "undo" someone's negative review of a cabin we rented for our vacation. The headline on the web page for the cabin says, "Great mountain views, private, new, wifi." The description of the cabin clearly states that there are long-range mountain views. The description says that it is landscaped to sustain the wildlife. Photos show that the cabin is on a heavily wooded lot. There's a photo of bears on the property. Think "quiet, secluded, serene." In addition, the owner offers satellite TV, and guests are allowed to use the laundry facilities on the lower level of the cabin. The posted map of the cabin's location shows that it's off the beaten path -- out of town. The reviews are all glowing -- except one.

Someone who rented the cabin the week before we did left a horrible review. They didn't like that they couldn't just let their dog out in the yard because it got in the "bushes" and came back with ticks. Well, welcome to a wooded, natural setting. They didn't like that they had to walk the dog on a gravel road. Welcome to "secluded."

They complained that there weren't enough TV channels. Because when you go on a mountain vacation, you need more than 200 TV channels. I'm not kidding. This was a well-equipped satellite TV provider. The owner also provided DVD, VCR, and CD players and a small library of videos. A store with video rental was located less than two miles from the cabin.

They didn't like that a hammock stand was provided, but the hammock pictured in one of the photos wasn't available. [Note: They commented in their review that they used the laundry facilities.] The hammock was in the laundry room, rolled up, with a note on it saying it was a hammock and was available for guests' use.

They didn't like that the owner e-mailed them during their visit to check on them. They didn't check their e-mail on vacation, so missed his e-mails. The owner lived right down the road (which they noted themselves in their complaint) and left his phone number in the cabin so guests could call and ask questions. If they needed something or had questions, they could have called and asked him.

In my review, I advised that guests should check around the cabin to see what's provided. Everything in the cabin appeared to be fair game for guests' use, so if guests have a question or can't find something, calling the owner and asking would be an effective way to solve that problem.

What a ridiculous, PA review. Seriously, dude. You rent a cabin for a week, and you can't be bothered to look around and see what's been provided for you? You can't pick up the phone and ask a question? Rather than giving the owner the chance to make it right, you wait until you get home and write a bad review?  ::)

By the way, the cabin was a slice of heaven. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat. No question.

allthelittledaisies

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 03:04:26 PM »
Not about my review but about others' comments on it.

I once purchased a particular set of Wusthof knives because they had cream-colored rather than black handles. (I thought they looked cool.) But when they arrived I was astonished to find that the handles were lightweight, so much so I sent them back. I prefer solidity.) In my Amazon review, I noted this as a flaw but I also said that the knives were high quality but the handles made them much better suited to those who needed lightweight handles or had arthritis. I also left three stars. Since then, two people commenting on my review have not just given it "not helpful" marks but have actively criticized me for being ... a dummy, I guess, with no taste for quality knives.

I have quality knives, including Wusthof. I just don't like handles that feel like they can float away. I think others might like to know that when shopping. But apparently my thoughts on that make me a knife idiot.  ::)

I'm with you. I own a lovely set of Wusthof knives and it would honestly just confuse me to have lightweight handled knives. They would not feel as well balanced, I suspect.

nayberry

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »
That is hysterical!

Posting for updates. I did *not* know people could be this 'brain-hurty' (why don't I know this?).

Reviews are so helpful. They helped me to decide on 'not' buying the banana slicer, for example.

Best reviews ever, btw.

in a similar vein,  **Disclaimer - do NOT read if eating or drinking, around small children, at work(or anywhere else where crying and wheezing could be disturbing) or likely to fall off your chair** 
i present, Veet for Men  http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK

its my go to for a quick pick me up laugh,  and the reviewers are clearly bonkers but thats half the fun ;)

bloo

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 03:35:48 PM »
That is hysterical!

Best reviews ever, btw.

in a similar vein,  **Disclaimer - do NOT read if eating or drinking, around small children, at work(or anywhere else where crying and wheezing could be disturbing) or likely to fall off your chair** 

its my go to for a quick pick me up laugh,  and the reviewers are clearly bonkers but thats half the fun ;)

Hahahahahahaahahahaahahahahaahaha! The very first one had me crying!  ;D

ETA: O....m....g....the second one...the second one...my stomach hurts!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:38:30 PM by bloo »

nayberry

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 03:54:26 PM »
^^ :D

Nikko-chan

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
That is hysterical!

Best reviews ever, btw.

*wheezing gasp* Oh the prison confession one. *tears stream down face*

Library Dragon

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
That is hysterical!

Best reviews ever, btw.

Ah, but imagine the magic that occurs when I use the slicer wearing my Three Wolves tshirt.  ;)

www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-Three-Adult-T-shirt/dp/B00JDU5CZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408314859&sr=8-1&keywords=wolf+tshirt

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

CakeBeret

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 07:06:21 PM »
I always take online reviews with at least two grains of salt. I'm always amazed at the number of people who leave one-star product reviews for ridiculous reasons.

I leave you with the epic Tuscan Whole Milk:

http://www.amazon.com/Tuscan-Whole-Milk-Gallon-128/product-reviews/B00032G1S0
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 08:55:29 PM »
I think reviews are invaluable. But it's always better to look at the overall pattern of reviews -- mostly positive or mostly negative -- than any particular review, and to most heavily consider the detailed ones because they'll actually explain what's good or bad about it.Then I can decide if I agree the same things are good or bad.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 09:14:59 PM »
I was laughing about one today. A woman wrote in complaining that they were not allowed to dine in a very upscale restaurant because her son was not dressed according to their stated dress code. Though she was told it was "jacket required" when she made the reservations, she assumed that meant he could show up in shorts and tennis shoes because he had a sports coat on to complete the outfit. I guess she believes black tie means to wear a black tie only.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »
I was laughing about one today. A woman wrote in complaining that they were not allowed to dine in a very upscale restaurant because her son was not dressed according to their stated dress code. Though she was told it was "jacket required" when she made the reservations, she assumed that meant he could show up in shorts and tennis shoes because he had a sports coat on to complete the outfit. I guess she believes black tie means to wear a black tie only.
Or she watched to many of those movies where the cop throws on a sports coat to go into the club to question the suspect.

I do remember my boy cousins having suits with short pants from about preschool maybe end of 1st or beginning of 2nd grade. But these were suits with the short pants made out of the same material as slacks would have been made from, and they wore dress shoes. The reasoning was that kids that age grow so fast that regular long pants got from right length to to short in months if not weeks. The short pants had a longer time that they fit because of not having to break correctly over the shoes. They would have to wear them a couple times a week (Church/Brunch, Friday or Saturday out to eat)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future