Author Topic: The Rude Guest  (Read 2329 times)

AngelicGamer

Re: The Rude Guest
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
Re: the blind part - different conditions make different kinds of blindness.  Macular degeneration comes to mind where your central vision is gone but you have your side vision until it starts to move out to take that as well.  Retinitis pigmentosa, which I have, is where your side vision goes but you have your center until it goes as well (a finalist in ANTM season 3 has this as well).  So, while I see better from the distance ( ;D ), someone with MD might really need to be close.

That said, that's what second and third row is for!  First row is immediate / very close family, not for other guests.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »
Re: the blind part - different conditions make different kinds of blindness.  Macular degeneration comes to mind where your central vision is gone but you have your side vision until it starts to move out to take that as well.  Retinitis pigmentosa, which I have, is where your side vision goes but you have your center until it goes as well (a finalist in ANTM season 3 has this as well).  So, while I see better from the distance ( ;D ), someone with MD might really need to be close.

That said, that's what second and third row is for!  First row is immediate / very close family, not for other guests.

I think that another option might be to contact the HC, as one would with any other kind of disability that needed accommodation.  It's entirely possible that if they knew in advance, the HC could have arranged for the person to be seated as close as possible (the end of a front row maybe or at least the second row) in a discreet way. 

That's assuming, of course, that the accommodation really was needed.  I find it odd that the so-called blind person did not speak up for herself, and instead someone else made a big deal out of it.  Not saying she didn't really have a vision impairment but maybe the other person overreacted.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 07:39:50 PM »

I think that another option might be to contact the HC, as one would with any other kind of disability that needed accommodation.  It's entirely possible that if they knew in advance, the HC could have arranged for the person to be seated as close as possible (the end of a front row maybe or at least the second row) in a discreet way. 

That's assuming, of course, that the accommodation really was needed.  I find it odd that the so-called blind person did not speak up for herself, and instead someone else made a big deal out of it.  Not saying she didn't really have a vision impairment but maybe the other person overreacted.

As someone who hasn't been to a wedding (yet), I wouldn't think to call the bride and groom about seating.  I would think to speak up for myself to an usher though and not have a random guest speak up for me though.  But I'm not every blind person and some are a bit ... I'm not even sure what the right term is.  They don't want to stand out about their blindness, in a way.  But yes, now that you pointed it out, the blind person should have spoken up for herself.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

mime

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 10:28:58 AM »
I can't help but think that if I was visually impaired to some degree and attending the wedding of a neighbor, I would still take my place in a middle-to-back row in the church (or wherever). There are plenty of places where you can't see much of what's going on in front unless you're in the first 5 rows anyway, so I may not be any worse off than everyone else attending. If I wasn't a close family friend or relative I wouldn't want to take a place in a front row that should belong to someone closer. I'd could still enjoy seeing the bride pass as she walks up the aisle, still enjoy the music/vows/speaking, and still enjoy the reception afterwards where I would get my chance to see the HC up close and in person. I would never want to act so special as to think I belong in the first 3 rows unless I was offered one of those seats, and knew my relationship warranted the honor.

I also have to wonder if the vocal neighbor was using her companion's impairment to procure a place of honor for herself in the seating. Her other behavior sure suggests that she thinks pretty highly of herself, and not so much of others.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 12:47:37 PM »

I also have to wonder if the vocal neighbor was using her companion's impairment to procure a place of honor for herself in the seating. Her other behavior sure suggests that she thinks pretty highly of herself, and not so much of others.

I am kind of wondering the same thing myself.  Because the companion didn't speak up herself or call in advance to see if arrangements could be made, I wonder if the companion actually wanted to keep the situation private and do as you said in the other part of your post, just sit in a regular spot and enjoy the ceremony from there even if she couldn't see everything perfectly.  The behavior of vocal neighbor might even have been very much not wanted from the companion, making her feel embarrassed, and maybe there were words said afterwards to that effect.

In any case, an awkward situation all the way around.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 12:19:57 AM »
Coordinator should have stepped in when she entered the chapel during photos. Her behavior was truly inappropriate.

Yeah, I think the coordinator fell down on the job--that's why you hire her, to run the hosting stuff while you're getting pictures taken and all that other stuff.