Author Topic: Boss's Day....  (Read 5787 times)

Kiara

• My dragons!
Re: Boss's Day....
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 10:31:37 AM »
To follow up.....I was actually out of the office most of the day, so I missed all the discussions on what to do.  We went with everyone giving $3 to get bagels and a card.   None of the bosses expected anything, so that was nice.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »
We all signed a card for our boss, and boss said:

"Words cannot express how surprised I was to receive the card today.   I want to say THANK YOU – because it is YOU that make this one of the best places to be!  I am glad to be on YOUR team!

And as the great play playwright and poet said …

I can no other answer make but thanks, and thanks, and ever thanks...
(William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night)"

We like our boss.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »
^^  Now that is one classy boss.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »
My boss put out a request for boss-themed jokes with the winner to be taken to lunch on the boss' dime.
I replied that none of my boss-themed jokes would get through the email filter.

I won the lunch.

As did all the other 14 members of our group.

This would be my way to approach Boss's Day. Make it be about what a boss gives, or owes, to the other people.

I like Bopper's boss, too--no wonder you all signed that card for him (her?).

Biker Granny

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »
My boss is like a big kid so it's fun to do things for him.

We all pitch in for a card and the ingedients for chocolate chip cookies which another employee bakes.

The poor man deals with 22 women every day :o .  The least we can do is give him a cookie. :)

POF

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
I would never ever expect something for bosses day (  I am the "big boss" ). Every year my assistants put together a dessert buffet in the lunchroom ( I think others help ) and it is terrific.

it ends up being snacked on by all the managers and the staff.  Its very nice.  She also sends me a nice handwritten note - which I appreciate. 

Yes -  I send flowerd on admin day - she loves dramatic arrangements and  Ifound a florist who does craxy exotic plants ! she loves it.

strawbabies

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 12:23:13 PM »
I used to have a wonderful boss who gave us mini potted roses on Administrative Professionals Day.  For her, I always got at least a card.  My current boss doesn't seem to even like to acknowledge any appreciation for the admin people, so I'm not doing anything for Boss' Day.

Lynda_34

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »
I worked in a place where one person tried to strong arm the subordinates to gift the Administrator and the DON with money and she would put together gift baskets for them.  i didn't donate, maybe cost me my job, i don't know. 
But when I was the "boss" department head or whatever I always gifted my staff, the people I told what to do  with something, a Christmas ornament, a gift card, whatever, i know I made more money than they did and I always felt I should be thanking them.

Barney girl

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 05:02:11 PM »
I'm puzzled how an event like this gets started. Just because a card company thinks it's a good idea for selling cards ..... Why do people take it up? We don't have it in the UK and I would be hugely embarassed if our staff felt they had to give us gifts for a special day. Presumably initially there must have been similar resistance in the USA.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 02:31:21 AM »
My immediate boss has some kind of a phobia about his birthday. He does not want to celebrate it in any way and gets incredibly grumpy about it. So we do Boss's Day the same way we do anyone else's birthday -- all go out for lunch, we sign a card, and maybe there's a cake or other dessert-y thing brought in. He enjoys it, and it lets us do something since we all like celebrating birthdays and feel a little bad for not celebrating his even though he doesn't want to.

We don't usually do anything for the Big Boss, but this year Boss's Day came just a week or two after he announced he was going to be getting a particular work-related luxury for all of us. (Not something we would've ever expected him to get for the whole office, but definitely something related to our jobs. :)) My section was going to particularly benefit from it due to the nature of our jobs, so we decided to get him a card and one of those fruit bouquets for Boss's Day as a thank you.

Jocelyn

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »
I brought in candy corn and pumpkins, which my boss loves and I bought her an iced tea with lemon today. She knows she's appreciated.

This sounds more like a sentiment one would express about a sweetheart, tbh (in general, not meaning you have a crush on your boss  ;D)
I'm perplexed; what about this sounds like a sweetheart to you? I just associate candy corn and pumpkins with fall, and iced tea doesn't seem particularly romantic.

Jocelyn

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 07:21:49 PM »
I used to have a wonderful boss who gave us mini potted roses on Administrative Professionals Day.  For her, I always got at least a card.  My current boss doesn't seem to even like to acknowledge any appreciation for the admin people, so I'm not doing anything for Boss' Day.
I had a boss who gave the APs big gifts on AP day (one year it was $50 gift certificates, another year an extra vacation day). He was mystified that the rest of us did not have enhanced morale from seeing 5-6 employees getting gifts when we never got anything- after all, there just wasn't a holiday for the job titles the rest of us held, so how could we possibly believe we should get gifts, too? He was also mystified that we didn't acknowledge Boss's Day.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 07:42:21 PM »
I had a boss who gave the APs big gifts on AP day (one year it was $50 gift certificates, another year an extra vacation day). He was mystified that the rest of us did not have enhanced morale from seeing 5-6 employees getting gifts when we never got anything- after all, there just wasn't a holiday for the job titles the rest of us held, so how could we possibly believe we should get gifts, too? He was also mystified that we didn't acknowledge Boss's Day.

That's definitely occurred to me a time or two, since I'm also in that middle ground that doesn't get AP Day or Boss's Day. Oh well, I get my birthday. :)

blueyzca01

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »

I used to work for Enterprise Rent-A-Car, and they were very big on employee morale and “working hard and playing harder.”  We were told about this exciting thing that was scheduled to occur during the annual picnic, how much fun and memorable it would be, and it would be a crowd-pleaser that would inspire all of us to work even harder and reap all the benefits of this great company.

The day of the picnic arrives and the exciting thing is?!?!?  Watching a co-worker parachute into the picnic area.   The co-worker was certified to jump by himself and yeah, it was sorta cool but I didn’t understand how it was fun and/or memorable for anyone else.   

The area managers kept asking everyone, “Wasn’t that awesome?! So much fun for everyone!  Don’t you just loooove working here?!”  I was told that I had a bad attitude/lack of team spirit because I replied that the only person who benefitted from the great big fun was Gary, the guy who jumped from the plane. 

They were big on Bosses’ Day too. 

Now I work for a man who gets embarrassed when we simply send him an e-card telling him that he’s the bestest boss ever, yet insists on taking his team out for a very nice lunch on his own dime for Administrative Professionals Day.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.