Author Topic: Appropriate to ask about expected promotion?  (Read 1792 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: Appropriate to ask about expected promotion?
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 10:20:43 AM »
Pastry ...  "then it's perfectly fine to follow up to make sure that your i's are dotted and t's are crossed."

With all due respect, no, it is not.

That is the responsibility of the company or business, not the employee.

If I waited for my employers to do what they are 'supposed' to do, I'd still be making minimum wage. Do you have any evidence at all for this broad claim you're making?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 10:46:45 AM »
It's a fine line. I agree that being aggressive, even nagging, about a promotion is a turnoff. However, it's not at all unusual for something to be forgotten (truly or as a ploy) by employers. I would say if there is a clear time when a promotion/benefit should be expected, the employee should follow up politely if it does not occur then.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 11:52:00 AM »
I think polite persistence is the key. No one can legitimately get mad at you for something like, "Hi, just wanted to check on the status of my promotion paperwork. Is there anything I need to do? Thanks!" And I think asking what the process is like, or where your promotion is in that process, can also be done politely, and can be read as wanting to be well-informed about company policy.

Unfortunately some systems need to be kickstarted and encouraged by interested parties--the squeaky (but polite) wheel and all. It doesn't have to be anything malicious or lazy, a lot of people are just overworked and do indeed forget about stuff. At least this is my experience with academic bureaucracy. I think I'm good about being "politely persistent." My boss tends to vacillate between, "I'm going to put off mentioning it for another month, when it becomes urgent" and "My thing needs to be done right now or the world will end and it's all your fault!" ::)
~Lynn2000

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: Today at 10:05:51 AM »
I think polite persistence is the key. No one can legitimately get mad at you for something like, "Hi, just wanted to check on the status of my promotion paperwork. Is there anything I need to do? Thanks!" And I think asking what the process is like, or where your promotion is in that process, can also be done politely, and can be read as wanting to be well-informed about company policy.

But I think DavidH and I and others were not saying "CHeck the status of my paperwork", but " you'd discussed the possibility of a promotion in December and you wanted to know how you were progressing towards that goal." This way you are not being entitled but are genuinely asking about your performance and also hinting about the promotion.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: Today at 02:53:10 PM »

But I think DavidH and I and others were not saying "CHeck the status of my paperwork", but " you'd discussed the possibility of a promotion in December and you wanted to know how you were progressing towards that goal." This way you are not being entitled but are genuinely asking about your performance and also hinting about the promotion.

Yes, I think I'm not entirely clear on the OP's situation, so maybe my wording isn't accurate. IME in academia, the holdup is usually just pushing the paperwork through all the people who have to rubber-stamp it. I think my promotion last year had to be approved by seven different levels. But maybe in the OP's case it's more like, a promotion only if you meet certain goals, so it would be more applicable to say, "How am I progressing towards the goals we set?"
~Lynn2000

veronaz

« Reply #20 on: Today at 03:21:56 PM »
I have been told that I will be promoted in approximately December at my job. However, the process tends to move slowly and if I don't say anything I can expect it to take an additional 2 months. There are some circumstances that would make it very sensible (IMO) for the promotion to occur right at the beginning of December. Would it be appropriate to ask my supervisor if we can plan on the promotion occurring at that time and explain why I think it would be beneficial? Or would it be better to keep my mouth shut and let things move at their own pace?

Regardless of what field the OP is in, I’m still not understanding the need to ‘nudge’ the supervisor now.

This is September.  OP said she was told the promotion would probably be in December.  I think asking if there's something she can do to hurry things along is a mistake.

It’s not as if the promotion is late or that OP is performing extra duties and not getting paid.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21 on: Today at 05:25:28 PM »
I have been told that I will be promoted in approximately December at my job. However, the process tends to move slowly and if I don't say anything I can expect it to take an additional 2 months. There are some circumstances that would make it very sensible (IMO) for the promotion to occur right at the beginning of December. Would it be appropriate to ask my supervisor if we can plan on the promotion occurring at that time and explain why I think it would be beneficial? Or would it be better to keep my mouth shut and let things move at their own pace?

Regardless of what field the OP is in, I’m still not understanding the need to ‘nudge’ the supervisor now.

This is September.  OP said she was told the promotion would probably be in December.  I think asking if there's something she can do to hurry things along is a mistake.

It’s not as if the promotion is late or that OP is performing extra duties and not getting paid.

No one is telling to ask how she can hurry things up.  But to ask to find out what the process is. 

December is 13 weeks away, 12 if you take into account that Thanksgiving is the week before and people will be in the office less around that time.  Those weeks can go by quickly.  There is paperwork to process, salary to negotiate, the updated job description, and other admin stuff that won't happen in an instant.  If the OP knows what's coming then she can make sure that she starts her promotion off on the right foot and not scrambling to catch up. 

Again, there is no need to be anxious, but asking what the promotion process is at that job is not a bad thing. 

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: Today at 05:36:21 PM »

Nobody has suggested that try to hurry things along or obtain her promotion BEFORE December. Every piece of advice (as I understand it) is saying that is preferable to make sure that she understands the process (the goals she needs to meet, the paperwork her boss has to do, etc...)  so that things will be set to go in December.

Even if the boss says now "Yes, you are doing great. Assuming everything continues in the same fashion, I will be recommending you for a promotion in December that will be effective by the end of January", she will know what the process is.

A promotion is not a gift you are given. It is a reward that you earn. In this case, a little entitlement is a good thing. You are entitled (as an employee) to understand the process for a promotion and, if you complete what you need to do, you are also entitled to the promised promotion.