Author Topic: Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza  (Read 26237 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
Re: Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »
You could offer the job of cleaning out the fridge to Grace, with the understanding that she can do what she wants with the old food, as long as it doesn't stay in the fridge.

If any solution involves getting Grace to do something different, I don't think it's going to work. ;) She actually keeps extra food at work in the science fridges because it won't fit in the food fridge, and the boss allows it. I think she thinks we're her extra cold storage place.

Where I worked, we didn't have any food hoarders.  And we did have a sign on the fridge warning people that unlabeled food would be thrown out every Friday at 4pm (it was considered a janitorial assignment) and labeled food would be tossed if it had obviously gone bad.  So our fridge stayed pretty clean.

I wish! The janitors don't throw out the food here though, we have the hourly interns do it, and I can barely prod them into doing it once a month. I think the problem is that I am a fanatic about throwing the suspect food away, whereas Grace is a fanatic about keeping it, and everyone else is somewhere in the middle or doesn't want to get involved. We basically do have those rules about labeling the food though, it's more the enforcement of them.

Next time you do a clean out, 'ruin' the food you throw out. Rip wrappers, open things, pour liquids down the sink. She can't get anything out of the bin if the ancient-but-hopefully-not-stinky-yet yoghurt has been opened and poured all over the stuff that looked too suspect to poke into. ;)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

MrTango

« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2014, 07:28:30 PM »
I remember a time when I would frequently order a pizza to have as my dinner when working overnight shifts in college.  I'd pick the pizza up on my way to work and store it in the refrigerator in the break room until it was about "dinner" time (usually 3:00 in the morning).

Without fail for several shifts in a row, I'd go to retrieve my pizza only to find two or three slices missing.

I got fed up with it and decided to order the pizza with ingredients that I happen to like but that most people don't.  I went to retrieve my dinner that night, and was very pleased to find that no one had stolen a piece of my pineapple, banana pepper, and green olive pizza.

miranova

« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2014, 09:28:18 PM »
On the "no one is entitled to free stuff" discussion.  Very true.  However, once someone gives me something, it's mine.  I'm not entitled to it before it's given, but after it's been purchased and paid for by someone and their intention is that I get some and they make that intention clear, then yes I am in fact entitled to some of it.  Would it ruin my year if someone ate my food?  Of course not.  It's not the only food in existence and it's not even about my immediate survival.  That's not the point.  It's the principle of it.  It would tell me something important about someone's character if they took food not intended for their family and hid it before all of the intended recipients got some.  I would not be impressed and I would know who I was dealing with from that point forward.

At my first "real" job after college, someone kept stealing sodas that a coworker brought in for his own lunch.  He finally just left a note to the effect of:  "To whoever is stealing my sodas:  I can afford to buy you a soda if you need one that badly.  I will just bring more from now on. So feel free to take one, at least now you are not a thief!"  I laughed so hard.  It had the desired effect of shaming the thief.  He had no issues after that.  I decided that's how I would handle it if it ever happened to me (if it was something I could afford of course).

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2014, 09:35:31 PM »
You could offer the job of cleaning out the fridge to Grace, with the understanding that she can do what she wants with the old food, as long as it doesn't stay in the fridge.

If any solution involves getting Grace to do something different, I don't think it's going to work. ;) She actually keeps extra food at work in the science fridges because it won't fit in the food fridge, and the boss allows it. I think she thinks we're her extra cold storage place.

Where I worked, we didn't have any food hoarders.  And we did have a sign on the fridge warning people that unlabeled food would be thrown out every Friday at 4pm (it was considered a janitorial assignment) and labeled food would be tossed if it had obviously gone bad.  So our fridge stayed pretty clean.

I wish! The janitors don't throw out the food here though, we have the hourly interns do it, and I can barely prod them into doing it once a month. I think the problem is that I am a fanatic about throwing the suspect food away, whereas Grace is a fanatic about keeping it, and everyone else is somewhere in the middle or doesn't want to get involved. We basically do have those rules about labeling the food though, it's more the enforcement of them.

Next time you do a clean out, 'ruin' the food you throw out. Rip wrappers, open things, pour liquids down the sink. She can't get anything out of the bin if the ancient-but-hopefully-not-stinky-yet yoghurt has been opened and poured all over the stuff that looked too suspect to poke into. ;)

That requires you to be willing to open ancient yogurt though.  ;D That stuff is staying SEALED!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2014, 11:27:25 AM »

That requires you to be willing to open ancient yogurt though.  ;D That stuff is staying SEALED!

I think that is what has prevented me from opening things in the past. But I work in a lab, we have latex gloves and a variety of cleaning products. I just need to buck up and do it! :)

Actually, I think I will have the intern clean out the fridge today, while Grace is gone...
~Lynn2000

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »
Actually, I think I will have the intern clean out the fridge today, while Grace is gone...

Might be a too late for this cleaning, but don't have them put it right in the bin. Have them put it in a different trash bag, seal that bag, then put it in the bin.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2014, 05:44:42 PM »

Might be a too late for this cleaning, but don't have them put it right in the bin. Have them put it in a different trash bag, seal that bag, then put it in the bin.

Next week, will there be a thread, "Someone stole my two-year-old yogurt from the work fridge!!!!"  ;D
~Lynn2000

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »

Next week, will there be a thread, "Someone stole my two-year-old yogurt from the work fridge!!!!"  ;D
No sympathy here, unless it was an active, approved experiment.  ;D
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2014, 08:21:32 PM »
I remember a time when I would frequently order a pizza to have as my dinner when working overnight shifts in college.  I'd pick the pizza up on my way to work and store it in the refrigerator in the break room until it was about "dinner" time (usually 3:00 in the morning).

Without fail for several shifts in a row, I'd go to retrieve my pizza only to find two or three slices missing.

I got fed up with it and decided to order the pizza with ingredients that I happen to like but that most people don't.  I went to retrieve my dinner that night, and was very pleased to find that no one had stolen a piece of my pineapple, banana pepper, and green olive pizza.

Perfect solution - you liked the pizza and you got to eat the whole thing!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

learningtofly

« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2014, 01:17:19 PM »
This has to be the most polite place I have ever worked.  I leave sodas in the fridge, and no one takes one.  I bring in baked goods and everyone takes a portion.  We have company lunch-even if the food runs out I've never heard anyone complain.  And it doesn't run out from people taking too much (occasionally they just don't order enough).  Everyone takes some and then goes back. 

The downside is our fridge cleaner outer is too nice.  We have a clean out every 2 months and you need to label what should stay.  After the last clean out I approached HR and told them that I was throwing out the foil thing in the fridge.  When she cautioned me about throwing out someone's food I told her that the foil had split, the food had multiple colors now, and it was oozing onto the shelf below.  Still have no idea how that survived the fridge clean out.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »

We used to order the "Bill Special" (named after the postdoc whose genius idea it was). Black olives and anchovies. We never had to share.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

cheyne

« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »

We used to order the "Bill Special" (named after the postdoc whose genius idea it was). Black olives and anchovies. We never had to share.

Mine is the "Cheyne special"; green olives, pepperoni and anchovies.  For some reason I can't get anyone else to take a piece!  ;)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »

You could try octopus, onion, mayonnaise and fish flakes.

(actual pizza at my local Pizza Hut - takoyaki pizza.)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2014, 09:04:54 PM »
I'd spell out "Hi (name of lunch thief)" in pizza toppings  >:D

Xandraea

« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2014, 09:27:21 PM »
I'd spell out "Hi (name of lunch thief)" in pizza toppings  >:D

Thief may think the pizza's for him, in that case!