Author Topic: Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza  (Read 27561 times)

magicdomino

Re: Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »
The assistant had stammered in reply to my comment "Well the teachers will eat them tomorrow for lunch with the rest of the leftovers." I thought throwing them out in public at the school would have been even more rude. I was so upset by her response that I quietly picked up the plate and left the area with no further comments.

Did they know the sandwiches needed to be kept cool?  If they were with a whole bunch of other items, maybe they didn't realize it.

That's what I was wondering:  if anyone there realized that the sandwiches were chicken salad and  knew that kind of chicken salad is perishable, like egg and tuna salads. Mind you, I'd be a little suspicious of even ham sandwiches despite of the salt and preservatives.  I would have mentioned the food poisoning issue, if only because there may have been some other perishable foods somewhere on that table.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »

Re: the chicken salad sandwiches. I get being angry about the money and effort going to waste--to me it seems a bit odd that the school would ask parents to bring in food for the teachers in the first place. IME with public US schools, teachers do get a fair amount of food/treats at the holidays, but as a totally voluntary thing from the students/their parents--I've not heard of a school specifically putting out a request to feed the teachers. Anyway, if this request had resulted in so much food that the teachers couldn't eat it all that day, yeah, someone should have been in charge of dividing stuff and packing it up safely for later--I'm sure there were a number of other things that went bad, if they sat out all day, and that's just a waste all around.

Our schools (or rather, the PTOs/PTAs) do this during Teacher Appreciation Week.  It's not something that happens often and it's strictly voluntary.

DanaJ

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »
Before our office moved, we had a great kitchen/lunchroom (in our new location we just have a litchen, but no place to have lunch except a boardroom). A group of us started "Salad Club". We would each bring in an ingredient, and one person would volunteer to bring in lettuce. So we would always end up with a great variety of ingredients and fun salads every day (no two days ended up being alike). It was cheap, cheerful, and social.

Occasionally we would have ingredients that didn't go so great together or duplicates, so we'd keep it for the following days. We had vast kitchen cupbaords that were mostly empty, so the Salad Club had a little shelf set aside for canned goods.

Eventually we realized that someone was pilfering our food. At first we were sympathetic, because it meant someone was hungry. We assumed it was a student hire or someone else in need. But in time, it got ridiculous! We were practically being cleaned out! Finally another co-worker, "Bob", overheard someone on the phone (open concept office) making plans with her hubby to have hot fudge sundaes for dessert that evening, and referred to the chocolate sauce in the office fridge. Bob's chocolate sauce. Sure enough, Bob's chocolate sauce went missing.

Bob knew who the thief was but couldn't prove it. So without identifying the culprate, he did tell us that someone who was not "in need" was likely the one taking our salad supplies.

To end the thieving, we peeled the labels off all our canned goods. We used a marker to write a number on the bottom of each can, so we knew what the cans contained, but the thief never touched them again.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »
genius

mimi_cat

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »
Yes, people get weird around free food.

I once worked in a call center that had monthly goals, and staff that worked in shifts starting at 7 am until 11 pm at night.  The first day of the month we would have donuts in the morning, and then cookies for the afternoon and evening shifts.  We had an onsite cafeteria that would make them fresh, and they were really good and not terribly expensive.

It ended after a couple of months because our VP came through one day and saw people grabbing several - in some cases a dozen - claiming they were going to take them home for their kids. 

Another time I was in charge of a sign up table for a local charity walk.  Our employer was a large corporation and every year makes a huge donation to this walk and invites employees to walk.  We gave walkers a t-shirt that had the walk logo and our corporate logo so we'd all stand out.  I had one guy ask me a couple of times about the "free t-shirts" and seemed kind of disappointed that you were supposed to participate to get them.  Finally he came and signed up himself and his entire family (6 in all).  I'm pretty sure they did not participate.

The worst though - at Christmas we would set up "Giving Trees" on each floor.  One was a hat & mitten tree, another was a pet supplies tree, and I forget what the others were.  The idea was that you'd bring in items related to the theme and place them around the tree, and then they would be donated to various charities.  I was walking by the hat & mitten tree, and two women were "browsing".  One woman said "I don't think you are supposed to take things" and the other replied "well my kids need hats and mittens too". 

HorseFreak

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 07:29:20 PM »
My office once received a gift basket of various foods addressed to everyone (about 10-12 people). Boss was off that day so I opened it and took a package of cookies and some others took other items. Boss came in the next day furious that we had opened the gift basket as she was planning to re-gift it to a client whose relative had died! She still brings it up half-jokingly about the gift basket meant for her that I "stole." Boss makes easily twice what I do and 4-5x what the other employees do. Gifts are never shared if she gets her hands on them first despite who they're addressed to.

JustEstelle

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 08:35:10 PM »
The assistant had stammered in reply to my comment "Well the teachers will eat them tomorrow for lunch with the rest of the leftovers." I thought throwing them out in public at the school would have been even more rude. I was so upset by her response that I quietly picked up the plate and left the area with no further comments.

These sandwiches have been eaten rather quickly and enjoyed at other events. if there had been too much food for the teachers that day, they should have been stored.

Dh was pretty upset too and would have probably reacted more strongly if he had been there.

In all likelihood, those sandwiches were left untouched simply because they'd been sitting out all day.  I wouldn't want a chicken salad sandwich at that kind of luncheon unless it had just been removed from the refrigerator and served.  I'm guessing that the person who had been in charge of putting out the food really didn't understand about proper serving (and keeping) temperatures for perishables.

kudeebee

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2014, 09:16:01 PM »
We had a food thief at a school I taught at.  The thief would go into lunches and just take part of the lunch.  We though we knew who it was, but noone had caught the thief.  So, one week we all made two lunches for a few days.  One we kept with us and the other--with an extra little bit of an added ingredient--went in the fridge.
Sure enough we were able to figure out for sure who the thief was as he had to make several extra bathroom trips during the day. 
Nothing was ever said by us or thieft but we never had a food thief again.

Xandraea

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2014, 09:21:02 PM »

These sandwiches have been eaten rather quickly and enjoyed at other events. if there had been too much food for the teachers that day, they should have been stored.

Dh was pretty upset too and would have probably reacted more strongly if he had been there.

In all likelihood, those sandwiches were left untouched simply because they'd been sitting out all day.  I wouldn't want a chicken salad sandwich at that kind of luncheon unless it had just been removed from the refrigerator and served.  I'm guessing that the person who had been in charge of putting out the food really didn't understand about proper serving (and keeping) temperatures for perishables.

This, very much. I also wouldn't chance eating a chicken salad sandwich that had been sitting out all day. Someone really dropped the ball there when it came to serving.

AnnaJ

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »

This, very much. I also wouldn't chance eating a chicken salad sandwich that had been sitting out all day. Someone really dropped the ball there when it came to serving.

If I were one of the teachers I wouldn't eat one - no matter how good they looked - if I thought they had been sitting out without refrigeration.

laughtermed

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 10:27:18 PM »
The sequel - I did speak to someone in the PTA the next week about what happened. When I dropped the food off in the AM, I had labelled  chicken salad on the plate cover and placed it on a big table in front of a refrigerator with all the other food. I said I don't think any of the food had been refrigerated between servings and that I had to take my food home so nobody would get sick. She said she would speak to the front office staff. She did agree that removing it was the best thing to do and apologized.

TabathasGran

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
To clarify - Administrative & Professional staff were VP's, Department Heads, Managers, Directors etc.

Administrative Professionals is a term applied to clerical staff like secretaries, clerks, assistants and other support staff.

Huge difference but meant to illustrate what other posters had said about the top dogs thinking they were entitled to everything.

Ah - I have never heard of "Professionals" (this makes me think lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants, etc.) also being referred to as "Administrative."  That's a bizarre title to me! Administrative *is* support staff in my experience!  Out of curiousity, what line of work are you in?
I have commonly seen in industries where the bulk of the staff is labor.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 01:27:33 AM »
To clarify - Administrative & Professional staff were VP's, Department Heads, Managers, Directors etc.

Administrative Professionals is a term applied to clerical staff like secretaries, clerks, assistants and other support staff.

Huge difference but meant to illustrate what other posters had said about the top dogs thinking they were entitled to everything.

Ah - I have never heard of "Professionals" (this makes me think lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants, etc.) also being referred to as "Administrative."  That's a bizarre title to me! Administrative *is* support staff in my experience!  Out of curiousity, what line of work are you in?
What is an example of this? I guess I haven't ever heard of "labor" being "professional" either. I can't think of a position that would be both "administrative" and "professional"!

greencat

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 01:36:53 AM »

What is an example of this? I guess I haven't ever heard of "labor" being "professional" either. I can't think of a position that would be both "administrative" and "professional"!

It's a job category to distinguish the laborers or other employees from those that perform administrative (i.e. management) or professional (e.g. accounting) services.  It's common in government employment as well - for example, my job is a different class, which is "support personnel", but my boss is A&P, because she supervises people, and my friend in accounting is A&P, because she's an accountant.  A&P personnel are subject to slightly different HR regulations regarding leave time and things like that.

English1

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 05:19:50 AM »
Nice to hear the pizza nabber outed himself to uber boss.

I see this sometimes from the other side. I own a small business. We runs events that are catered. On the whole leftovers from these events are shared out/left for people to take but I get annoyed if people just assume and don't ask. Perishables - fine, non-perishables are supposed to come back to the office. I had to stop someone loading up whole trays of soft drink cans into their car once and say I was taking them back to the office (where we'll all share them) and they had the nerve to look at me like  :o.

Also I once froze a load of perishables in the office freezer and sent round an email telling everyone they were there so if you haven't got lunch or need a snack - help yourselves. I went to get some just over a week later and the freezer was empty. Surprised, but ok. More surprised when someone working near there told me one employee had had the lot - eaten it for lunch every day. I didn't mind them being eaten up, that's why they were there, but really it didn't cross his mind that he shouldn't eat ALL of them and other people might want some?

Some people just go very peculiar over free food.