Author Topic: Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza  (Read 46413 times)

Margo

Re: Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2014, 08:01:49 AM »
people are weird over free food.

We had one a few years ago: Our firm was rebranding and we held a little event and invited people from other local businesses round for champagne and cupcakes. We had two offices in 2 separate towns, and we decided to hold the events in different days n order that the business owners could attend both events. Other staff were expected to attend part of the event in their office (in working time)

We had caterers make cupcakes decorated in the company's new colours, and other canape type finger foods.

At the first event, one of  the owners 'Sharon', who worked in that office, was present, and was policing the food and discouraging staff from taking any in case there wasn't enough for visitors. (there was plenty, and she was still doing this 10 minutes before the event was due to end, when it was clear that no one else was likely to come.) 2 days later, the second event took place at the other office. 'Sharon' came over, stayed a while and then left, about 90 minutes before the event was due to end, and when we knew that there were a group of people still to come (they had accepted our invitation and told us what time they were likely to be there) 'Sharon' was getting ready to leave to go back to her own office, and started packing up boxes of cupcakes, apparently to take home for her kids. This was despite the fact that the event wasn't over, there was less spare food as more guests had attended, and many staff members had held back to make sure we didn't run short.

Sharon did stop when she was asked by another of the owners to leave the cupcakes for the guests, but she was still making comments about how 'mean' they were, two weeks later.

To me, the weirdest thing was that she didn't try to take anything from the event in the office she worked in, only in the other office, and she would be the first to criticise if someone else acted that way!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2014, 09:21:10 AM »

Also I once froze a load of perishables in the office freezer and sent round an email telling everyone they were there so if you haven't got lunch or need a snack - help yourselves. I went to get some just over a week later and the freezer was empty. Surprised, but ok. More surprised when someone working near there told me one employee had had the lot - eaten it for lunch every day. I didn't mind them being eaten up, that's why they were there, but really it didn't cross his mind that he shouldn't eat ALL of them and other people might want some?

I would give that guy a pass. As long as he didn't eat them all the first day other people did have access to them and if they wanted some they would have taken some. Sounds like he was the only person who wanted any.

martin8

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »
What gets me with a lot of these food thief stories is that the thief is usually (not always, but a good majority) seem to be a management/boss type. The ones who make more than the hourly workers.

I would just be so tempted to put on a look of concern and say something along the lines of:
"I'm so sorry. It can't be easy to be so short of money that the only way you can feed your family is by taking home free food".

Probably not a good idea, though.    >:D

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2014, 10:52:05 AM »
A weird thing I often encounter is the opposite of the food thief, where no one will take the food. There's the standard "it's impolite to take the last piece" mentality, for example. Or "it will look greedy if I get these leftovers out and eat some." Both of these usually result in the leftover food going bad and having to be thrown out, when people genuinely wanted it!

Once I left a bag of non-perishable food on the break room table, with a note saying to please take it if you wanted it. After a week, it didn't look like anyone had even touched it, and as it was kind of big, I decided to just throw it away. (It was protein powder that I had opened and tried one scoop of, so I couldn't donate it anywhere.) Later that same day, someone came up to me asking if they could have it. ::) Of course, but now you have to dig it out of the trash. You've been here all week, why didn't you take it earlier? I get (sort of) not snatching it up first thing, but surely a couple days would have been sufficient for everyone else to see it. Of course digging it out of the trash wasn't very appealing so in the end it went to waste.
~Lynn2000

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2014, 11:19:57 AM »
Greencat, thank you for the clarification - I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how to explain.  This was a Univ. in the US and the Administrative AND Professional (one or the other, not both) are exactly as you said - management or professionals.

The Administrative Professional is a term that replaces terms like secretary or Administrative Assistant.  For some reason the title "secretary" seems to have acquired a stigma in recent years (I have no idea why) and is rarely used.  "Administrative Professionals are clerical, assistant, support staff" - I guess what you termed "labor" and yes, are unionized and have different HR guidelines than the Administrative And Professional.

The amusing part (for lack of a better word) was that my boss, a Director and therefore A&P, decided that AP day, a day historically devoted to honoring support staff in the US, was an excuse for her to get free food intended for others.

As so many other posters have noted, free food (or easily accessible food) makes some people do crazy things.  Said Director was also known to blatantly help herself to food from the department fridge, even when clearly noted with owners name.  If she got hungry she was not above rummaging through the fridge, opening containers and helping herself to leftover lunches or food brought from home.

amylouky

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »

Also I once froze a load of perishables in the office freezer and sent round an email telling everyone they were there so if you haven't got lunch or need a snack - help yourselves. I went to get some just over a week later and the freezer was empty. Surprised, but ok. More surprised when someone working near there told me one employee had had the lot - eaten it for lunch every day. I didn't mind them being eaten up, that's why they were there, but really it didn't cross his mind that he shouldn't eat ALL of them and other people might want some?

I would give that guy a pass. As long as he didn't eat them all the first day other people did have access to them and if they wanted some they would have taken some. Sounds like he was the only person who wanted any.

I agree with this. If they were there for a week, I think that's more than enough time for others who want some to get a share. No way would shared food last a week in my office.. leftovers are generally a free-for-all.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2014, 12:21:28 PM »
I find it odd that so many people hog free food, but equally odd that so many people notice and care. No one is entitled to free food - not the people who hog it or the people who didn't.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »
Kudubee, you've been a member on this forum for years, so I'm surprised you would think posting that you and your colleagues put "an extra little bit of an added ingredient" in your food is acceptable here. It is not. And while it may have amused you and your coworkers, we're not even smiling.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Goosey

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2014, 12:57:27 PM »
I find it odd that so many people hog free food, but equally odd that so many people notice and care. No one is entitled to free food - not the people who hog it or the people who didn't.
So you don't think there's a social convention that says, when someone offers, you take a fair share for yourself and leave the rest for others?

Or that when you're sharing food with others, you need to make sure that everyone gets their portion? You bet your rear people will notice when they're going hungry and someone has taken all the food for an outside party. Or when they've been offered a treat and it's been selfishly hoarded by one person.

I know you have issues with food and people liking food, but this is such an odd and judgmental statement.

Edited because commas matter.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:04:38 PM by Goosey »

Hillia

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2014, 12:59:05 PM »
So you don't think there's a social convention that says when someone offers you take a fair share for yourself and leave the rest for others?

Or that when you're sharing food with others, you need to make sure that everyone gets their portion? You bet your rear people will notice when they're going hungry and someone has taken all the food for an outside party. Or when they've been offered a treat and it's been selfishly hoarded by one person.

I know you have issues with food and people liking food, but this is such an odd and judgmental statement.

Actually, once someone has offered food as a gift to me, I am entitled to my share of the food.  I'm not entitled to expect that people provide food, no, but once it's given then yes, I am entitled to my share, and to be annoyed if someone steals my share.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2014, 01:03:36 PM »
So you don't think there's a social convention that says when someone offers you take a fair share for yourself and leave the rest for others?

Re your last comment I have no idea what you are talking about. I love food and consume 2500-3000 calories every day to fuel my training. So your comment in quite strange.

Re social conventions, I am envisioning a situation like what happens in my office. A group email goes out: "there are cookies in the break room!" I either go then, or wait until I may want a cookie, and if there are cookies then great. If not, great. I am not entitled to a cookie. Is it weird to take cookies for kids to save for later? I guess so. But I would never notice or care.

If everyone is all together when food is presented I would say something if I thought another person was taking more than their share, but only if I noticed and only if I were going to take the food right then and there myself. Unless I am guarding the food I don't see how I would notice.

Goosey

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2014, 01:09:14 PM »
Because it's right in front of you? Because you see that other people are going to get some and none are available. I mean, considering the tales here, it would be baffling if you were so, shall we say, introspective that you didn't notice the issues people around you were having accessing an offered meal. And you are also being rather insulting to people who DO notice. It's great that you wouldn't notice or care that people are hoarding cookies. But I do - because it's rude. And I want a cookie.

Yes, I know about your extensive exercise routine and calorie intake. You also tend to jump into threads about people being disappointed by some aspect of a meal or lack thereof by saying you don't understand why food is so important to people. It's really not helpful or productive to constantly point out you think people have an unhealthy relationship with food because they would like to eat some and are disappointed when they don't.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 01:12:36 PM by Goosey »

melicious

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2014, 01:11:30 PM »

Re your last comment I have no idea what you are talking about. I love food and consume 2500-3000 calories every day to fuel my training. So your comment in quite strange.

Re social conventions, I am envisioning a situation like what happens in my office. A group email goes out: "there are cookies in the break room!" I either go then, or wait until I may want a cookie, and if there are cookies then great. If not, great. I am not entitled to a cookie. Is it weird to take cookies for kids to save for later? I guess so. But I would never notice or care.

If everyone is all together when food is presented I would say something if I thought another person was taking more than their share, but only if I noticed and only if I were going to take the food right then and there myself. Unless I am guarding the food I don't see how I would notice.

You don't consider it poor etiquette to take more than your share? To take home food meant for employees for your family? Especially when you're in a position that pays more than the employees from whom it's being taken?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »
Would I notice no cookies when I showed up later than everyone else? Probabaly, and I'd note that I didn't get there early enough; but a snack is a far cry from an entire meal (pizza). That I would notice because that is a substantial amount of food. I see nothing off about noticing that someone has taken my share of a substantial gift and is giving it to someone for whom it was not meant.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

laughtermed

« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2014, 01:18:47 PM »
One company I worked at handled this situation very well-if there were parties for clients, etc, it was always announced "Guests are served first, and then staff". People were very cooperative all around concerning food.

Back to Pizza Thief's kids - I wonder what they thought about getting leftovers from work-Gee, Dad/Mom just brought us leftover pizza for dinner?