Author Topic: Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza--final update p. 20  (Read 68642 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!
Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza--final update p. 20
« on: August 24, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »
Ah, office pizza.

A bunch of us had to work on Saturday, as a project has had several problems--the project director went into labor 2 months early and is now hospitalized, the assistant director was hit by a car while out on his bicycle and is out for two weeks, the printer printed the wrong files, the client changed some specs last minute--it's been a nightmare.

And, instead of having Big Boss supervise us as expected, we ended up with Uber Boss, because Big Boss's children are sick with a stomach virus that has been going around.

Uber Boss kindly ordered pizza for the whole gang. The boxes were put in the break room. There looked to be plenty of pizza for everyone.

But people who went to get pizza 15 minutes after it arrived came back commenting that they had only been able to get a single slice. I ran to the break room and got the second to last slice of pizza.

At a rough guess, there was one pizza for every three people working on Saturday, and it seemed . . . odd that it would have disappeared so quickly. But I figured people were hungry and tired (we've all been working lots of overtime) and maybe I was just too slow.

Then about an hour later, I saw people coming back from the break room with multiple slices of pizza. They explained that someone had put most of the pizza in the refrigerator, so they had just nuked some to warm it up.

On investigation, there were 5 plates of pizza in the fridge, all with about 6-7 slices on them, all wrapped up in paper towels. It did indeed look as if someone had been worried about leaving the food out, and put it in the fridge to keep it safe.

Cue 5 pm when we all started for home. A manager, someone who had spent most of the day complaining about having to work, stormed out of the kitchen, demanding to know where his pizza was. After a few minutes of kerfuffle, it transpired that he had taken most of the pizza and put it in the fridge to take home to feed his family that evening. He considered it his "payment" for having to work on a Saturday. He was not happy that the hourly employees, who also gave up their Saturday, had eaten the pizza he wanted.

Seriously, there was so much pizza in the fridge that I don't think anyone thought, "Oh, someone is taking this home." Or if they did, they decided no one had the right to that much pizza. When I saw the plates full of pizza, I just assumed someone didn't want to leave the food out at room temperature for very long.

A slice or two of pizza? I would have figured someone was saving it. And we have a lot of temp employees--I would have figured one of them was taking the pizza home for dinner--a lot of the temps are hurting for money. Either way, I wouldn't have touched it. But plate after plate stacked high with pizza? It looked as if it were up for grabs.

Uber Boss was not amused.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 10:18:17 AM by camlan »
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

menley

Re: Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 05:33:15 PM »
We had a manager that would do something quite similar. In my line of work, there was a certain time of year where we pulled very long hours, including Saturday and Sunday work. This particular manager would always decide that on Saturday afternoons, we should order in pizza (despite most of us not liking pizza or being sick of eating it after 8 Saturdays in a row!) And regardless of what we actually wanted to order, he would always add in 4-5 extra pepperoni pizzas.

We didn't catch on at first, as the pizza always seemed to get eaten, but it was really strange that for a group of 15 people, we would order 15 pizzas (especially as there were several girls who would only eat one slice) and have no leftovers. But once, the fridge in our closest breakroom was on the fritz, so we went down to the fridge in the downstairs breakroom and found five pizza boxes sitting there, with a large duffel bag next to the fridge. And that afternoon, as our manager left for the day, he had the duffel bag slung over his shoulder. He finally admitted to his co-manager that he was taking it home for his kids because "since they couldn't have Daddy because he was working so much, they at least deserve some free pizza."

The co-manager made sure that this guy was no longer in charge of ordering the pizzas, but all that meant is that when we did get pizza, he would go around and gather up the excess pizza once everyone had first grabbed their food. He'd then take it aside and do the same thing - bring it home to his kids. When I privately brought up the idea that perhaps some of the guys on our team would want seconds, and that should take precedence over bringing his kids leftovers, he said "Oh, they should be watching their weight anyway. I'm doing them a favor."  :o

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:09:21 PM »
 :o
I am always shocked by these, can't help it. I just can't understand the thought/ behaviour of some.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:07:53 PM »
What a jerk!! It's beautiful that he had the gall to complain, thereby outing himself to Uber Boss. Little bit of Professional Darwinism there.  ::)

I will never, ever understand the people who assume it's okay for them to load up plates for their spouses and children before the other employees have had a chance to eat. Hello, did your kid come work? No? Then why would he get 5 slices of pizza?! Drives me batty!!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:08:13 PM »
:o
I am always shocked by these, can't help it. I just can't understand the thought/ behaviour of some.
Me too. I feel odd taking a left over cupcake home.

Reika

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 09:24:38 PM »
What gets me with a lot of these food thief stories is that the thief is usually (not always, but a good majority) seem to be a management/boss type. The ones who make more than the hourly workers.

Like other posters, I'm glad the thief showed their true colors to the Uber Boss.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
What gets me with a lot of these food thief stories is that the thief is usually (not always, but a good majority) seem to be a management/boss type. The ones who make more than the hourly workers.

Like other posters, I'm glad the thief showed their true colors to the Uber Boss.

I encountered this a lot at my old job. Not with food, but several corporate bosses with that attitude of "I deserve it because I'm a Top Dog. If you want some you should become a Top Dog, too. If you don't, well I guess you didn't want it or you couldn't hack it so you don't deserve (whatever)." It never occurs to them that some of us don't want to be the Top Dog, we genuinely enjoy our position and do it very well, thanks. Or we would if we didn't have crap bosses.  ::)

Bales

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 11:29:50 PM »
I noticed the OP said the manager considered it "payment" for working that Saturday - perhaps because he doesn't get overtime pay?  Not saying that makes it right, but I'm wondering if he felt that since he wasn't getting any extra compensation, he was entitled to the pizza.  I disagree with that thought pattern, but I can see how someone may get there.  Of course, that assumes others WERE getting overtime pay.

Now if it was cake, I say any reason is a good reason to hog all the cake!   >:D

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 02:38:01 AM »
I noticed the OP said the manager considered it "payment" for working that Saturday - perhaps because he doesn't get overtime pay?  Not saying that makes it right, but I'm wondering if he felt that since he wasn't getting any extra compensation, he was entitled to the pizza.  I disagree with that thought pattern, but I can see how someone may get there.  Of course, that assumes others WERE getting overtime pay.

Now if it was cake, I say any reason is a good reason to hog all the cake!   >:D
isn't working non traditional hours part of being a manager? Many jobs don't offer overtime (in my job nobody gets overtime - not us lowly admins and not managers), and that's not a reason to steal. besides, he wasn't stealing from the company, he was taking his coworker's food.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:50:36 AM »
Unbelievable. I hope Uber boss explained to him that the pizza had been ordered for "the whole gang" and not just one person to cover their family dinner that evening. Who does this?

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 06:36:14 AM »

Those of us on salary don't get overtime pay, but we do get comp time. If you work 1-4 hours on a Saturday, you get 4 hours that you can take off later, with pay. If you work 4-8 hours on a Saturday, you get a day off that you can take later, with pay. Hourly employees and temps get 1.5 times their usual pay. It's a very employee-friendly, generous company. (We also had free doughnuts that morning.)

And the guy who stashed all the pizza is a couple of steps above me. I don't know how much he makes, but based on the salary for my position, it's at or above $100,000 a year. While the temps who were doing the actual work (we were just doing spot-checking and quality control and answering questions) make $10-$11 an hour base pay.

The temps' job isn't hard, but it does require a great deal of thought, attention to detail, speed and accuracy. I've done it while being trained and if we are short-handed. It isn't physically demanding, but it is mentally exhausting. If anyone "deserved" that pizza, it was the temps.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 07:08:04 AM »
This reminded me so much of my old job! I worked at an affluent kindergarten in Asia and the parents would periodically bring food gifts for the teachers, which was very sweet but our penny pinching boss would regularly intercept these gifts and usually take some/most or all of it for herself.
One day one of the moms bought about six pizzas for the six teachers and some expensive salads and 2L of cokes. Well, our boss took 5 of the pizzas, all the salads to feed her family and left us with one pizza to split! People are so ridiculous sometimes.
Another time one mom gave us costco size amounts of these drinks we liked and boss decided that instead of just giving it to us as the mom had intended, it would be a perfect opportunity for her to open our presents are give them as gifts to all of her other employees. She was "very generous" when she didn't have to pay for the gifts herself.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »
I'm also salaried, so even though I'm a low level manager, I don't get OT. Or comp time. But my job very rarely requires OT or weekends. And they are so flexible, that if i do end up staying a little late it evens out when I have to leave early or come in late sometimes.

I'm laughing at the thief and his getting caught. That is one of my pet peeves; people who take huge amounts home for their family. Really? I know here, if we've had a lot of leftovers, and put them out for others, and at the end of the day there is still some, people will be encouraged to take some home for their spouse, kids, etc. but that's only after everyone here has had a chance to get some.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »
Wow. Great that he outed himself in front of the Uber Boss, who was not amused.

People can be so weird about free stuff, especially food. I know at work conferences I have witnessed highly-educated, established people behaving so rudely about free stuff. Once I was talking to a vendor about her products, and this guy walked up to the booth, swept all the free candy and pens into his bag, and walked off without a word. The vendor and I were just kind of like,  :o.

I think the only time people have taken home leftovers at my office is when they have really been urged to by others, because it was just going to sit around over the weekend or something. Of course sometimes there are kerfuffles--Anne tells Betty she can take the leftover cake home, so Betty does so when she leaves at 2pm. But at 2:30pm Carla comes in and Donna's like, "Have some cake, Carla!" and then they find out there isn't any, because Betty took it all home, because Anne (who's above her) told her to. So that's really more of a mix-up than anything greedy.
~Lynn2000

laughtermed

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 11:27:03 AM »
This reminded me so much of my old job! I worked at an affluent kindergarten in Asia and the parents would periodically bring food gifts for the teachers, which was very sweet but our penny pinching boss would regularly intercept these gifts and usually take some/most or all of it for herself.
One day one of the moms bought about six pizzas for the six teachers and some expensive salads and 2L of cokes. Well, our boss took 5 of the pizzas, all the salads to feed her family and left us with one pizza to split! People are so ridiculous sometimes.
Another time one mom gave us costco size amounts of these drinks we liked and boss decided that instead of just giving it to us as the mom had intended, it would be a perfect opportunity for her to open our presents are give them as gifts to all of her other employees. She was "very generous" when she didn't have to pay for the gifts herself.

On another note, years ago, the PTA asked parents at my child's school to please bring dishes for lunch for the teachers at an in-service day for the teachers. We were on a budget, but Dh made gourmet chicken salad sandwiches as a contribution. I brought them in the morning. While passing thru the room at the end of the day, I saw them out on a table with a lot of other food. I asked an assistant how long they had been there and was told they had been there the entire day. I informed here that I did not appreciate that they left them out there all day, that we were on a budget, and could have used the money ourselves if we had known they would just sit out all day.  I then picked them up and took them home. The look of shock  on her face as I did this was priceless.