Author Topic: Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza  (Read 28166 times)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: Oh, dear, someone stole the thief's pizza
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
This reminded me so much of my old job! I worked at an affluent kindergarten in Asia and the parents would periodically bring food gifts for the teachers, which was very sweet but our penny pinching boss would regularly intercept these gifts and usually take some/most or all of it for herself.
One day one of the moms bought about six pizzas for the six teachers and some expensive salads and 2L of cokes. Well, our boss took 5 of the pizzas, all the salads to feed her family and left us with one pizza to split! People are so ridiculous sometimes.
Another time one mom gave us costco size amounts of these drinks we liked and boss decided that instead of just giving it to us as the mom had intended, it would be a perfect opportunity for her to open our presents are give them as gifts to all of her other employees. She was "very generous" when she didn't have to pay for the gifts herself.

On another note, years ago, the PTA asked parents at my child's school to please bring dishes for lunch for the teachers at an in-service day for the teachers. We were on a budget, but Dh made gourmet chicken salad sandwiches as a contribution. I brought them in the morning. While passing thru the room at the end of the day, I saw them out on a table with a lot of other food. I asked an assistant how long they had been there and was told they had been there the entire day. I informed here that I did not appreciate that they left them out there all day, that we were on a budget, and could have used the money ourselves if we had known they would just sit out all day.  I then picked them up and took them home. The look of shock  on her face as I did this was priceless.

I guess I am not following.  Did you think the sandwiches had gone bad so you took them to dispose of them so no one got sick?  Or did you take the sandwiches home to eat yourselves because they were still good?  Were you just angry that they had not yet been eaten?  I don't understand the rationale here.

laughtermed

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

[/quote]

I guess I am not following.  Did you think the sandwiches had gone bad so you took them to dispose of them so no one got sick?  Or did you take the sandwiches home to eat yourselves because they were still good?  Were you just angry that they had not yet been eaten?  I don't understand the rationale here.
[/quote]

All 3 - nobody bothered to put them in the refrigerator the whole day so they were probably bad by then. I threw them out at home rather than doing it at the school. I was angry nobody put them away or acknowledged them nicely in anyway. I was angry because they were wasted despite our efforts making them and paying for the ingredients. if they did not appreciate the donation enough to serve it properly, then they did not deserve it.

Xandraea

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »

On another note, years ago, the PTA asked parents at my child's school to please bring dishes for lunch for the teachers at an in-service day for the teachers. We were on a budget, but Dh made gourmet chicken salad sandwiches as a contribution. I brought them in the morning. While passing thru the room at the end of the day, I saw them out on a table with a lot of other food. I asked an assistant how long they had been there and was told they had been there the entire day. I informed here that I did not appreciate that they left them out there all day, that we were on a budget, and could have used the money ourselves if we had known they would just sit out all day.  I then picked them up and took them home. The look of shock  on her face as I did this was priceless.

Chicken Salad sandwiches left to sit out all day _would_ have gone bad. That nobody thought to put them on ice at the least, or in the refrigerator for a longer period to preserve them so they'd remain edible shows no appreciation for OP's DH's generous contribution to the lunch. In OP's shoes, I too would have been upset that our limited resources were donated for naught, DH's efforts were wasted and the food they could have fed their own family with had been left to waste. I would not feel inspired to donate to the school like that again.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »
To me it is still strange to take the sandwiches home. I can see being upset, but apparently people chose other food - it's not a personal insult. I would have been confused had I seen the OP take food from a table intended for others. I am not sure the message she intended to send is the one that was received.

laughtermed

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »
The assistant had stammered in reply to my comment "Well the teachers will eat them tomorrow for lunch with the rest of the leftovers." I thought throwing them out in public at the school would have been even more rude. I was so upset by her response that I quietly picked up the plate and left the area with no further comments.

These sandwiches have been eaten rather quickly and enjoyed at other events. if there had been too much food for the teachers that day, they should have been stored.

Dh was pretty upset too and would have probably reacted more strongly if he had been there.

Coley

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »
In response to the OP ... Wow, it was way out of line for him to take that much pizza to compensate himself for his time. And then to complain that "his" pizza was taken? Just wow.

DH has ordered pizza for weekend trainings held at his office. He expenses pizza for one of the meals and sandwiches for another. None of the staff who attend are being compensated for their weekend time. They're expected to be there as part of their jobs. I can't imagine anyone he works with picking up a bunch of pizza like that and feeling entitled to take it home as compensation. They will divide leftovers among anyone who wants them. But commandeering a bunch of pizza before everyone gets some? No way.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 12:54:12 PM »
I was laughing when I saw this thread, as I just had my pizza stolen from the office fridge. See, the cafeteria makes these humongous flatbread pizzas and I saved 1/2 to have for lunch today. I put the box in there this morning and I just went to go nuke my lunch.

Gone.

What is it with people and pizza that makes them crazed lunatics that steal from others?

I just don't get it. I hope the idiot that felt entitled to mine likes the vegetable confetti on whole wheat flatbread with roasted chicken. >:(
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
I worked in a place that had a division between clerical & support staff and those known as "Administrative & Professional" staff.  I was an AP.

Well there used to be a "holiday" called Secretary's day when bosses would gift their secretaries with flowers, lunch or time off.  After some time this was changed to "Administrative Professionals" day.  Our workplace would hold a reception to honor Administrative Professionals on this day with ice cream and appetizers.

So my boss, who was also AP somehow got the idea this reception was to honor HER and always encouraged me to attend with her.  I refused and would only attend if any of the support staff asked me to accompany them.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »
I worked in a place that had a division between clerical & support staff and those known as "Administrative & Professional" staff.  I was an AP.

Well there used to be a "holiday" called Secretary's day when bosses would gift their secretaries with flowers, lunch or time off.  After some time this was changed to "Administrative Professionals" day.  Our workplace would hold a reception to honor Administrative Professionals on this day with ice cream and appetizers.

So my boss, who was also AP somehow got the idea this reception was to honor HER and always encouraged me to attend with her.  I refused and would only attend if any of the support staff asked me to accompany them.
I am so confused.  If you were both AP, wasn't the reception to honor both of you?  Why would it be weird to attend with your boss?

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 01:42:54 PM »
To clarify - Administrative & Professional staff were VP's, Department Heads, Managers, Directors etc.

Administrative Professionals is a term applied to clerical staff like secretaries, clerks, assistants and other support staff.

Huge difference but meant to illustrate what other posters had said about the top dogs thinking they were entitled to everything.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 01:46:54 PM »
People seem to get very weird about free food, especially pizza.

We would have issues at events with people loading up plates with 5-6 slices of pizza just for the purpose of taking it home later. The faculty were especially bad about doing that, and often times, those of us who worked so hard to set up the event wouldn't get any of the food ourselves. So they started ordering a pizza or two for us assistants to keep back and have for ourselves, while the designated "event pizza" was set out as usual.

One day, someone saw us with our box of pizza that had been ordered especially for us, and went and told the Dean that we had "stolen" pizza from the event. Which resulted in a big fuss and the Dean telling us assistants that we had to eat last of all. After all of the students, and faculty, and guests. Even if we'd been working to set up the event and hadn't been able to actually take our lunch break. It didn't matter that the pizza we had had been ordered specifically for us..the faculty had seen us with a pizza and they got upset about it.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 01:47:38 PM »
Well, I guess it's better than the boss I used to work for that just picked off the pepperoni on pizzas meant for everyone. He didn't get it, even when I explained that no one wanted to eat his picked over leftovers. So, every piece he did that to, I put on a plate and gave to him. He kept saying he didn't want them, so I threw them away...then he tried to get mad at me for not leaving them out for others to eat.

I did break him of doing that, but I don't think he ever really got what was wrong with it.  ::)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 01:58:32 PM »
The assistant had stammered in reply to my comment "Well the teachers will eat them tomorrow for lunch with the rest of the leftovers." I thought throwing them out in public at the school would have been even more rude. I was so upset by her response that I quietly picked up the plate and left the area with no further comments.

These sandwiches have been eaten rather quickly and enjoyed at other events. if there had been too much food for the teachers that day, they should have been stored.

Dh was pretty upset too and would have probably reacted more strongly if he had been there.

Did they know the sandwiches needed to be kept cool?  If they were with a whole bunch of other items, maybe they didn't realize it.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »
To clarify - Administrative & Professional staff were VP's, Department Heads, Managers, Directors etc.

Administrative Professionals is a term applied to clerical staff like secretaries, clerks, assistants and other support staff.

Huge difference but meant to illustrate what other posters had said about the top dogs thinking they were entitled to everything.

Ah - I have never heard of "Professionals" (this makes me think lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants, etc.) also being referred to as "Administrative."  That's a bizarre title to me! Administrative *is* support staff in my experience!  Out of curiousity, what line of work are you in? 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 02:17:43 PM »

So the reception was for people in Group A, but somehow Boss got it in her head that it was for people in her group, Group B? The names are quite similar, yes, but you would think those in the industry would know the difference, and that the flyer would additionally say something like, "A reception to honor our hard-working clerical and support staff." I don't know, it might have been interesting going with her, just to see if she made a fool of herself. On the other hand, if it was a large enough event, she might have been able to fill a plate with free food (that wasn't for her) without anyone really noticing, and thus wouldn't suffer any consequences. Don't you think she wondered why none of her colleagues were there, though? And why the place was filled with secretaries? So strange!

Re: the chicken salad sandwiches. I get being angry about the money and effort going to waste--to me it seems a bit odd that the school would ask parents to bring in food for the teachers in the first place. IME with public US schools, teachers do get a fair amount of food/treats at the holidays, but as a totally voluntary thing from the students/their parents--I've not heard of a school specifically putting out a request to feed the teachers. Anyway, if this request had resulted in so much food that the teachers couldn't eat it all that day, yeah, someone should have been in charge of dividing stuff and packing it up safely for later--I'm sure there were a number of other things that went bad, if they sat out all day, and that's just a waste all around.

Honestly I would have been tempted to just leave it there--let someone else realize the problem and throw it out, but at least now I know what's really going on--but I probably would have been concerned that some unsuspecting person would get sick. I think throwing it out at the school would have been fine, if you could have played it like, "What?! These sat out all day?! Oh no, they're ruined now, no one should eat them! We need to dispose of them right away before anyone tries to eat one!" Then dump the plate in their trash, let them deal with the disposal. Doubt I would have given them anymore food in the future, or at least not spent much time/money on it--to me it's not about, I'm insulted that people didn't like my food, it's more like, Wow, they totally and completely wasted that resource I donated to them, that shows a real lack of appreciation and organizational ability. Not sure I want to invest much more in that again.
~Lynn2000