General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Mike Rowe is a class act

(1/3) > >>

Black Delphinium:
http://mikerowe.com/2014/08/not-throwing-cold-water-on-a-cause/

I don't want to discuss the pros or cons of the challenge itself, but this is the most eloquent call for reasonable thought and discussion I have seen on it so far.

ladyknight1:
I read it yesterday and completely agree.

JoieGirl7:
Sorry, but I don't agree.

If he doesn't want to do it, then he shouldnt do it.  And why would it matter when the people who aer calling for him to do it are people he doesn't even know.

He also seems to separate the money that people spend on the things that he advertises from the money they would spend on charitable giving.  It's all money.  Maybe someone is dying because they were influenced by him to buy a new truck instead of buying a cheaper used truck and donating some money to cancer research.

Not that's it is a "zero sum game" or even a good example.  No one is going to die because someone bought new instead of used.

But the overwroughtness of the thinking is coarse.

In medical research, sometimes in the course of looking for one kind of treatment, they find something else that is of benefit to others with a different disease.  Sometimes the "side effects" of a drug that is developed end up being a worthwhile therapy for something else.

Also, i truly doubt that all of these people participating in the ALS challenge are all steady donors to other charities.  I would be willing to bet that most are giving to this and only to this because they got drawn into it and that a lot of these dollars would have gone to other expenses and not cancer or heart disease research.

As far as the charity that is benefitting being small, that is in no way comparable to some joe winning the lottery. The ALS  association has been in existence for almost 30 years and has a board of directors to oversee its allocation of funding.  (Also, the "marketing genius" who came up with the idea died this month from accidental drowning.  He conceived it after watching a friend of his suffer from the disease.)

Unlike  cancer and heart disease on the whole*, there is nothing one can do to prevent ALS if one is prone to it.  They have  drugs to slow it down but not prevent or stop it.

Who is to say that in researching it further that breakthroughs will not be found that benefit other neurological disorders and diseases.  It is a genetic disease and there are many cancers that are also not preventable that are also genetically based.

While I get what he is saying, I don't think he was particularly classy or even polite in saying it.

He could simply have said that he already supports a number of charities, end of story.  And, in my eyes, that would have been a whole lot classier.

*In no way am I asserting that every case of cancer or heart disease is preventable but many are and a lot of research dollars are aimed at prevention strategies and not a cure, per se.

Mergatroyd:
My aunt had ALS and I appreciate the thought behind the challenge, but I have to say the one video that has impressed me the most so far out of the celeb vids is Charlie Sheen's. I'm not normally a fan of his.
The fact is, this is a one time shtick. The people doing these challenges are not going to do them again, not this week, next month, or next year. This year, it is working and raising funds and getting the charity name out there, but Next year they will have to come up with something else. 

Library Dragon:

--- Quote from: Black Delphinium on August 28, 2014, 07:48:25 PM ---http://mikerowe.com/2014/08/not-throwing-cold-water-on-a-cause/

I don't want to discuss the pros or cons of the challenge itself, but this is the most eloquent call for reasonable thought and discussion I have seen on it so far.

--- End quote ---

POD

Celebrities, and others, run the risk of looking cheap and uncaring by refusing to participate. Nobody should be subjected to that pressure.  This affects others who are not celebrities, but their livelihoods will most likely not be impacted.   The worthiness of the charity doesn’t matter if it becomes social blackmail.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version