News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 09:02:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: etiquette during two national anthems  (Read 8876 times)

MrTango

Re: etiquette during two national anthems
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 01:15:47 PM »
I think you're fine, etiquette wise, to stand or sit (whichever you choose) respectfully during your own national anthem or that of any other nation.  Beyond that, as long as you aren't doing, saying, or singing anything that is distracting toward the people around you, you're fine.

Margo

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »
... although i know in the uk that once GSTQ gets to verse2, not many of us know it O_o

Well, isn't verse 2 the one that goes:
O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

and singing that opens a whole new can of etiquette worms!

That's the third verse!

The second verse is a bit nicer:

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour
Long may she reign.
May she defend our laws
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen.

That's the third verse. The second one, which is normally omitted (to the extent that the Royal family's own website doesn't mention it) is the one about frustrating knavish tricks which FreeRangeHippyChick quoted. Originally there was an even worse one about crushing the Scots, and there was, briefly, a verse about frustrating Popish plots, too..

I think from an etiquette perspective, you are polite while another country's anthem is played - mostly by remaining standing but silent, although I don't think joining in would be in any way impolite.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
As the other National Anthem we hear most often is Advance Australia Fair, I second Curly Wurly's suggestion.  I would love to sing it like this. Then perhqps we might get to change ours too.  Good words but dirgey tune

Mergatroyd

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 03:18:18 PM »
I'm fairly sure it's best to stand quietly through any anthem, unless you are singing of course.

I'm northern Canadian, we sung GTSQ in school on Remembrance Day, Oh Canada once a week, and I've never actually heard The Star Spangled Banner in its entirety. (CBC usually cuts to commercial halfway through.) I'd still stand quietly for it though, not knowing the words or being a citizen of a country is no excuse to be rude, fidget, or be otherwise distracting during the song.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 03:56:15 PM »
I have a related question.

I am a hockey fan, so it's common to hear both anthems... but that's beside the point of my question.  If watching a Dallas Stars game, they will often, at "who broad stripes and bright stars" will virtually scream the final word (because Dallas Stars).  Am I wrong for feeling that they're a bit rude for basically trying to make the anthem all about them?

Mergatroyd

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 04:08:58 PM »
[quote author=Diane AKA Traska link=topic=134923.msg3200849#msg3200849 date=1409604975]

I am a hockey fan, so it's common to hear both anthems... but that's beside the point of my question.  If watching a Dallas Stars game, they will often, at "who broad stripes and bright stars" will virtually scream the final word (because Dallas Stars).  Am I wrong for feeling that they're a bit rude for basically trying to make the anthem all about them?
[/quote]

Not rude. If they changed the word to fit their team that would be rude. Not terribly polite, but not actually rude.

sparksals

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 04:11:56 PM »
I am Canadian and live in the US.   I stand for all anthems.  I sing O Canada.  I stand for the Pledge but do not put hand to heart of recite it.   

I was once called out at a town council meeting for not pledging.    I was a resident.  I had every right to be there.  I think I posted about it here.  I was respectful.  I stood.  Just didn't recite. 

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 04:52:19 PM »
I am Canadian and live in the US.   I stand for all anthems.  I sing O Canada.  I stand for the Pledge but do not put hand to heart of recite it.   

I was once called out at a town council meeting for not pledging.    I was a resident.  I had every right to be there.  I think I posted about it here.  I was respectful.  I stood.  Just didn't recite.

I don't remember it. can you explain more? Called you OUT ?

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

blarg314

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 07:50:25 PM »

In all cases, I think the minimum to do is to stand respectively, hat off if appropriately, and not do other things (read, talk, play with phone).

Whether to sing/recite, or make other gestures of respect (hand over heart, for example) is up to the individual, whether it is a foreign anthem/pledge, or even their own.

I'm Canadian - I will sing the national anthem, but I won't sing God Save the Queen, although I will remain standing for it. I don't do pledges of allegiance to any country or individual.

Raintree

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
I would sing to the national anthem of my own country, and stand quietly and respectfully for the other one. If you want to sing during the other one (ie not your country) fine with me. I just don't know the words to the Star Spangled Banner beyond the first line, so perhaps I'd hum or be quiet. No big deal. I just think it would be disrespectful to make a ruckus or do anything other than either sing or be quiet, while the country that isn't yours is sung.

magician5

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »
I think it's less about what you don't do than what you do. Don't play on your phone, talk, move around and interrupt others. Either participate respectfully, or don't participate respectfully, and that's fine.

FTR, I do not sing our national anthem or pledge allegiance, for a variety of personal reasons. But that doesn't mean I need to act like a jerk during a ceremonial moment that means something to others.
A very reasonable and respectful answer, I think.

Sidebar: I've never understood what about a ball game requires ANY national anthem ... it's not a patriotic meeting, it's a sport.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

kglory

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »

I grew up in Maryland, and everyone screams out "O!" at the final line "Oh say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave..." -- as in the O's, the Orioles.

People do this not just at Orioles games but really any other game for any sport I went to in the DC Metro area: professional games, high school games, etc.  Of course I grew up before the Washington Nationals came to town!   So we would always hear and scream the "Oh!" at Bullets/Wizards games, Caps games, etc.

The embarrassing thing is:
1) I was an adult in college before I realized this was just a DC area thing and not how people generally sing the anthem at sporting events.
2) I was also an adult before I realized that some people thought it was disrespectful.  And now, it totally makes sense why they would think that.  But as a kid, it was just the norm to me.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 09:49:19 PM »
Stand or sit respectfully and quietly. Hats that are supposed to be removed should be (religious head covering and Part of the dress hats for ladies should not be removed)

Do not sing anthems if you are not a citizen.

Do not hit the little girls in front of you with a rolled up program for singing the other country's anthem or you might find out that they are dual citizens and their parents will let you have it at the end of the anthems. (Happened at an Astros Vs Expos game in the 70's Mom especially was ticked off - she wanted to get security to make the woman leave.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kareng57

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 10:00:26 PM »
Stand or sit respectfully and quietly. Hats that are supposed to be removed should be (religious head covering and Part of the dress hats for ladies should not be removed)

Do not sing anthems if you are not a citizen.

Do not hit the little girls in front of you with a rolled up program for singing the other country's anthem or you might find out that they are dual citizens and their parents will let you have it at the end of the anthems. (Happened at an Astros Vs Expos game in the 70's Mom especially was ticked off - she wanted to get security to make the woman leave.)

I don't quite agree with your second recommendation.  I'm Canadian but generally sing (well, try to) The Star Spangled Banner whenever it's played, although I agree that simply standing (if able) quietly is also fine.

I think it's baffling that anyone would expect a non-US citizen to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, as a PP mentioned.  Myself, I'll remain standing during the recitation but that's it.

StarFaerie

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 10:02:10 PM »
If anyone wants to join in with The Australian National Anthem.

By all means, join in................. we need all the help we can get ;) (ps, people here mumble along to the second verse too)

And just to add to controversy. I vote this change to our ANA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocfiPS1CZ-s

The Epitome[?] of Aussie's sense of humour and our love for our land :D

I also believe it is a rule that if you sing along correctly or at least enthusiastically to the entire second verse of our Aussie Anthem that you get to skull your beer at the end.

And I disagree very strongly that you shouldn't sing the anthem if you aren't a citizen. There are plenty of Aussies who never became citizens, still Aussies though, through and through. And people from other countries are welcome to be honorary Aussies for the duration of our anthem if they want.