News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:25:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: etiquette during two national anthems  (Read 8905 times)

kareng57

Re: etiquette during two national anthems
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »
I like the Canadian anthem.  I think it's a pretty melody and easier to sing than the American one.  I was unsure if it was ok to sing it.

Of course!  I truly can't imagine that any Canadian would criticize a non-citizen for singing O Canada.

I had thought that the same was true re the American anthem until I read this thread.

blarg314

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2014, 11:13:32 PM »

Of course!  I truly can't imagine that any Canadian would criticize a non-citizen for singing O Canada.

I had thought that the same was true re the American anthem until I read this thread.

Canada historically does have a rather laid back approach to national symbols.

Founding of Canada - 1867
Unofficial Adoption of the National Anthem - 1939
Adoption of Canadian Flag - 1965
Official Adoption of National Anthem - 1980
Establishment of National Constitution - 1982

KenveeB

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2014, 11:16:03 PM »
I like the Canadian anthem.  I think it's a pretty melody and easier to sing than the American one.  I was unsure if it was ok to sing it.

American here, and I would've said the same. I would only criticize someone for singing it in a disrespectful manner -- mockingly, or like Roseanne Barr's infamous attempt. I can't imagine criticizing someone for singing it just because they're not a citizen.

StarFaerie

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2014, 02:52:11 AM »

American here, and I would've said the same. I would only criticize someone for singing it in a disrespectful manner -- mockingly, or like Roseanne Barr's infamous attempt. I can't imagine criticizing someone for singing it just because they're not a citizen.

Oh good, because I think the US has an awesome anthem. Such a cracker of a song. Much better than our dirge (which still wells up tears of pride in my eyes). I love to sing along when I hear it on TV, so I would love to if I ever went to a US ball park too.

menley

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2014, 03:16:38 AM »
Oh good, because I think the US has an awesome anthem. Such a cracker of a song. Much better than our dirge (which still wells up tears of pride in my eyes). I love to sing along when I hear it on TV, so I would love to if I ever went to a US ball park too.

I love the Hungarian national anthem but it too is quite a dirge. You can listen to it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N3gfzk-5bw. The words are so depressing too - one excerpt says (translated, from Wikipedia):

O God, bless the nation of Hungary
With your grace and bounty
Extend over it your guarding arm
During strife with its enemies
Long torn by ill fate
Bring upon it a time of relief
This nation has suffered for all sins
Of the past and of the future!

A happy and uplifting anthem it is not.