Author Topic: Polite way of saying "Please don't delegate that job to her"?  (Read 5220 times)

mime

Re: Polite way of saying "Please don't delegate that job to her"?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2014, 10:37:45 AM »
GreenEyedHawk's latest post really helped clarify some things for me. Knowing that this isn't expected to become a part of Mary's job, and that Jamie just saw it as an "all hands on deck" moment, I think I'd just approach him with something like:

"I really appreciate that you want to help out when we got so busy, but I have become very efficient at my own system, and throwing Mary into the mix when she doesn't know my preferences just didn't work out well. Let's let Mary focus on her own job and let me do mine, and things will actually run more smoothly."

Zizi-K

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »
*snip

Mostly I just didn't really want to be too blunt and say something like, "Jamie, please don't get Mary to pull parts for me anymore...she sucks at it." 

I don't think there's anything wrong with a slightly softened version of this. "Jamie, thanks for trying to help me out the other day with Mary, but honestly for efficiency's sake I'm so particular about how it's done, it ended up being more headache than if I just did it myself. In the future, I would just prefer to get the parts myself. (or) In the future, it would be a real help if you could ..."

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
I think you should propose an update tothe "bible".

Bosstypeperson, i noticed that when Mary was pullingthe items for the widgets she used the "bible" as a guide.  Many of us have found, for example, that waiting to pick the flanges to the end has reduced breakage by 55%.  Also stacking the cart in a certain way improves efficiency by 10%. Would you mind if I wrote an update to the widget chapter of the "bible" to reflect that?

"Ye shall gettest thine screw, and puttest it in the leftest most corner.
Yea, then thee shall puttest thy block next to it.
Finally, after all is gathered up unto us, then ye shall pick the flanges. But only then. And not before."

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
Agree with HappilyInsane and mime, among others. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying, "Jamie, thanks for thinking of me the other day, but actually I prefer to pick the parts myself. I've got my system down and having someone else do it just slows me down." No need to mention Mary's name at all, if it's not really something to do with her personally--you don't want anyone to help with this.

Perhaps you could also think of something else Jamie could do to help you, that you could tack on. "...But you know what you could do, is have someone fill out Form X for me, which would save me a good 20 minutes each day." That might make him feel better, and also get a benefit for you.
~Lynn2000

daen

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 07:08:15 PM »
Agree with HappilyInsane and mime, among others. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying, "Jamie, thanks for thinking of me the other day, but actually I prefer to pick the parts myself. I've got my system down and having someone else do it just slows me down." No need to mention Mary's name at all, if it's not really something to do with her personally--you don't want anyone to help with this.

Perhaps you could also think of something else Jamie could do to help you, that you could tack on. "...But you know what you could do, is have someone fill out Form X for me, which would save me a good 20 minutes each day." That might make him feel better, and also get a benefit for you.

I agree. This is (presumably) a temporary state of affairs, until you get staffing levels back up, so there's not the same need to make changes to processes or do any training - you just need someone to take a little of the load for you. Having someone pull parts didn't work. Acknowledge that, acknowledge Jamie's good intent, and redirect it into something that actually would work.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »

Bosstypeperson, i noticed that when Mary was pullingthe items for the widgets she used the "bible" as a guide.  Many of us have found, for example, that waiting to pick the flanges to the end has reduced breakage by 55%.  Also stacking the cart in a certain way improves efficiency by 10%. Would you mind if I wrote an update to the widget chapter of the "bible" to reflect that?

Finally, after all is gathered up unto us, then ye shall pick the flanges. But only then. And not before."

If it were up to me i wouldn't mind something like this but the pages in the "bible" are technical drawings.  Everything included in the widget has to be on the drawing.  It's an industry standard and we could get slapped with a violation for altering it that way.

Lynn, this is pretty much exactly the way things went down.  I told Jamie that while I appreciated him loaning Mary to me, picking parts really goes faster if I just do it myself.  I did ask for a different crew member of his, Jade, to do the cleaning and final processes for me that prepare the widget for shipping.  Now that the cleaning and taping are Jade's job, that frees me up to get several more widgets a day out, which will get us caught up much faster.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 10:21:18 PM »

If it were up to me i wouldn't mind something like this but the pages in the "bible" are technical drawings.  Everything included in the widget has to be on the drawing.  It's an industry standard and we could get slapped with a violation for altering it that way.

Lynn, this is pretty much exactly the way things went down.  I told Jamie that while I appreciated him loaning Mary to me, picking parts really goes faster if I just do it myself.  I did ask for a different crew member of his, Jade, to do the cleaning and final processes for me that prepare the widget for shipping.  Now that the cleaning and taping are Jade's job, that frees me up to get several more widgets a day out, which will get us caught up much faster.

I think maybe she was wondering if the bible could have an extra page added for the picking of parts.  Or does that not make sense because a) you don't pick all the parts at once or b) each person making widgets arranges their cart differently

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »
Today, between picking my own parts and Jade doing the cleaning and taping for me, I surpassed my own building record.

I'm going to bed now.  *rubs eyes*
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2014, 11:01:27 AM »
Well done! :)
~Lynn2000