News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2017, 11:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O - Keep Your Dog Away from my child...  (Read 13102 times)

wildkitty

Re: S/O - Keep Your Dog Away from my child...
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2014, 09:16:14 AM »
Xandrea, excellent post and very well put!

I get it Hollanda, I really do. I am insanely, irrationally afraid of snakes. I think there were some excellent suggestions on how to get your intentions clear to well meaning pet owners who reply that it's OK with them for your child to pet the dog, but it's not ok with you and that's all that matters in the end

m2kbug

« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »
(Says I who used to be that terrified of dogs I used to cross to the other side of the street to avoid one).

Now there's some progress!  :)  It's interesting.  If a dog came barreling at me, my reaction would be to go into pet-the-puppy mode and entertain him and grab his collar until the owner could get to him rather than planning my escape route and imminent doom of becoming lunch.  :)  (I have an irrational fear of drains and big holes.  Changing the air filters always makes me nervous)

My pet peeves are people who leave their aggressive dogs in the back of pickup trucks unattended or the mean little purse dogs, in addition, people letting their known-to-be aggressive or unpredictable dogs out loose or taking them to public areas, like the party.  I don't think it's a problem to bring the dog to the party (assuming this was cleared with the host first), but just like with little kids, if it doesn't work out, it's time to go home.  It sucks, but them's the breaks.  The second the dog started showing distress and bit someone is the second you leash him and plan your exit.  That was pretty irresponsible.  The dog should have been on a leash and supervised until his temperament was known from the beginning.  It sounds like he was fine up to a point, but he hit his limit and some breeds can be very defensive and snappish.  One false move, you can find yourself on the receiving end of some teeth.  What may not cause much damage to an adult can be pretty bad news to a small child or elderly individual.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »
The worst thing, mkbug, isn't even that the dog went on to bite a child. It's that after the dog had been put down, friend's mum immediately goes out and begins the same cycle again!!

I have heard nothing from said friend since last Xmas, incidentally. That's a whole nother thread
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Xandraea

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
*snipped quote tree*
My pet peeves are people who leave their aggressive dogs in the back of pickup trucks unattended or the mean little purse dogs, in addition, people letting their known-to-be aggressive or unpredictable dogs out loose or taking them to public areas, like the party.  I don't think it's a problem to bring the dog to the party (assuming this was cleared with the host first), but just like with little kids, if it doesn't work out, it's time to go home.  It sucks, but them's the breaks.  The second the dog started showing distress and bit someone is the second you leash him and plan your exit.  That was pretty irresponsible.  The dog should have been on a leash and supervised until his temperament was known from the beginning.  It sounds like he was fine up to a point, but he hit his limit and some breeds can be very defensive and snappish.  One false move, you can find yourself on the receiving end of some teeth. What may not cause much damage to an adult can be pretty bad news to a small child or elderly individual.

Little dogs can be vicious, and sadly, because they're little and cute, people don't take their warning signs seriously, and/or don't train them out of behaviours one would not tolerate in a large dog. (Jumping, for example.. dog comes up to my knee, he's not going to knock me over if he jumps on me, while a 90lb bundle of excitement surely could. Yet, small dogs are bigger compared to small children, and my 20lb Cocker could knock one over, easily.)

Very much in agreement about the rescue dog at the party. Clearly that was not a good place for that dog, and he should have been watched closely by his owner (and leashed!) and removed when necessary. Sad thing is many people would (and did) blame the dog here, when it really was irresponsible owner at fault (and then she went and got another of the same, and took as little care with that one!).  I know my dogs. One doesn't handle strangers, crowds, children well at all. One is tiny and cute and very excited to meet new people, and has a loud bark in her excitement. She's been known to scare some small children with her enthusiasm, though she'd really just like to lick them to pieces, so I stand on her leash when she meets new people. The third is excited to meet people, but calmer about it, and listens better, and also overall calms down faster in new situations. She's the only one I'd bring to a busy crowded party, and I'd keep her close to me at least until she's familiar with everything, and have a place set up where she could go be alone when she needs it.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
The worst thing, mkbug, isn't even that the dog went on to bite a child. It's that after the dog had been put down, friend's mum immediately goes out and begins the same cycle again!!

I have heard nothing from said friend since last Xmas, incidentally. That's a whole nother thread

Not all rescue dogs were abused, not all dogs of certain breeds are aggressive - so just because she got a rescue dog of the same breed doesn't mean she began the cycle again. The next dog could have had a much different temperament and not be aggressive at all. Since you haven't seen the woman since you really have no way of knowing.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.