Author Topic: Weddings from Hell: Goth wedding and Guests from Hell: Follow-up  (Read 47748 times)

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
Re: Weddings from Hell: Goth wedding and Guests from Hell: Follow-up
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2007, 10:07:15 AM »
What killed me is that she actually thought her actions would be condoned on an etiquette website.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

hollasa

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2007, 12:47:36 PM »
Does anyone else have the feeling that her note to the bride and groom will probably be one of their treasured memories from the wedding?

You know, our wedding was so non-traditional, that we even had one guest (who we didn't know) run away, using the bathroom window, after leaving us a rude and panicked note?

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2007, 03:48:52 PM »
Does anyone else have the feeling that her note to the bride and groom will probably be one of their treasured memories from the wedding?

You know, our wedding was so non-traditional, that we even had one guest (who we didn't know) run away, using the bathroom window, after leaving us a rude and panicked note?

Actually, the bride from this story *did* come on the old forum, and post her side of the story.

RuneGuardian

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2007, 04:06:33 PM »
I think my eyes lit up when I read the original Goth-wedding story. Since I've got the stupid, I have always been under the impression that weddings could ONLY be the traditional white gown, flowers, rings, church, party-that-costs-a-small-fortune ordeal. I only learned a couple years ago that this doesn't always need to be the case. And I was even more thrilled to hear that people could have a Goth-themed ceremony - although I would not consider myself gothic, the style is far more befitting to my tastes than the 'traditional' style. I don't care what anyone says - BF would look good in black make-up, a 'poet' shirt and a black corset (getting him to wear it would be another story entirely  ;D)

All I can say is big kudos to the people who aren't afraid to think outside the box in all aspects.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »
I think my eyes lit up when I read the original Goth-wedding story. Since I've got the stupid, I have always been under the impression that weddings could ONLY be the traditional white gown, flowers, rings, church, party-that-costs-a-small-fortune ordeal. I only learned a couple years ago that this doesn't always need to be the case. And I was even more thrilled to hear that people could have a Goth-themed ceremony - although I would not consider myself gothic, the style is far more befitting to my tastes than the 'traditional' style. I don't care what anyone says - BF would look good in black make-up, a 'poet' shirt and a black corset (getting him to wear it would be another story entirely  ;D)

All I can say is big kudos to the people who aren't afraid to think outside the box in all aspects.

Hmm, I'm not goth, but I'd have to agree with you. A non-tradidtional wedding with the groom in a nice 'billowy' shirt and black leather pants sounds kind of nice. I wouldn't go for having the wedding IN the cemetary, but this one was apparently just outside, which is fine with me.

A bit of a hijack, but I wanted to share a lovely, lovely conversation I had last night with DBF about this post.
<snip>
I told him I wouldn't want a wedding like that myself, though he probably would. 

And he said, "Well, if we ever get handfasted or anything like that, we'd probably do it in the woods, right?"

***melt***   ;D

Lots of happy conversation and cuddles ensued.  Neither one of us wants to get remarried, but we both kind of get giddy at the idea of talking about spending the rest of our lives together.  And I really wanted to share with all of you how your thoughtful and sensitive discussion of this post helped contribute to a lovely romantic moment for me.  :)

Aww!! <sniff> That's so sweet!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

MiladyOak

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2007, 10:43:56 PM »
"The pastor was old, he looked about five minutes away from disintegration." Ok, so being old is a paux pas now? That line really made me laugh!
Personally, a cemetery wedding sounds wonderful to me. I am also a cemetery person. I love them, especially the older ones with lots of presence. I know all the people I have lost would get a kick out of having a wedding over thier resting places, as would I. A cemetery wedding makes sort of a sweet contrast to me. But, I do understand where some people would find it offensive to find a wedding where they have gone to grieve.

The op in this case was a real piece of work. This wedding and reception sounded incredible! I would have loved to have been there. My husband and I originally wanted something similar, but we really wanted our families there as well, so... *shrugs*

Asharah

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2007, 01:30:41 AM »
If one of my sister's kids wanted a wedding like that, I would dig out something tasteful in black and remind them to bring a chair for their 88 year old grandmother so she doesn't have to stand. The good news is, we're in Baltimore, so we can use Druid Ridge Cemetery. But Black Aggie isn't there any more! DRAT!
http://www.prairieghosts.com/druidridge.html
Asharah

MyFamily

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2007, 03:33:14 PM »
The line that always got me about this story is that she is now screening her calls...I'm just dying to know - how many times did Tay call her after this wedding?  Is he like stalking her?  Or maybe the guests are stalking her?  Seriously, I'm really want to know!  I can just imagine it, every caller that doesn't leave a message "oh, that was the one who pierced their tongue and wore the dog collar, I just know it"; "there's Tay calling me again - what makes him think I'd ever talk to him again"

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

vlfriscia

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2007, 05:16:21 PM »
[Apologies, folks:  I mistook KeenReader for the poster when in fact he/she was only reposting.  My comments are intended of course for the original poster!  Signed, Ima Newbie]

Sorry, KeenReader, but I think the most horrific thing about this wedding was YOU.  Where is your sense of humor?  Of theatrics?  Of personal taste and freedom to indulge that taste?  And why on earth didn't you ask former BF just exactly what he meant by "strange", if only so you would know what to wear?  Was a midnight wedding outside a cemetery not tipoff enough?

Although you may have found the wedding "horrific", it appears you were the only one who felt that way.  You were in the minority, in other words, and in no position to inflict your personal opinion on people who were celebrating their union in a way that was meaningful to them.  They didn't ask that you share their views or their tastes, or that you bite the heads off bats or chickens, or drink babies' blood at the reception.  If you felt that uncomfortable, you should have had Tay take you home.  But then HE would have missed the wedding, and how fair is that?  Use your cell phone and call a taxi; that's what I would have done.

I wish someone would invite me to a wedding like this!  It would be something to talk about for many years.  Sure, the bride and groom may rethink the tattoos and the studded dog collar when they are celebrating their 25th, but they are entitled to bless their union in any way they see fit (legally, of course) and who the hell are you to criticize?

I don't think you have to worry about Tay burning up the phone lines to call you, so you can relax.  LOL  I am sure the wedding party has had a few laughs at your incredibly juvenile behavior.  A nasty note in the bride's bouquet indeed.  You need to expand your horizons, educate yourself, learn some manners and grow up.  It's not all about you and your tastes and your upbringing.  No one cares!  You should be ashamed that these people invited you to witness their happiest moments and you acted like a spoiled brat.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:36:36 PM by catwoman48 »

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »
Sorry, KeenReader, but I think the most horrific thing about this wedding was YOU. 

Umm, you *do* realize that KeenReader was simply re-posting a story from the website, right?

It can be found about midway down the page, here:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/content/eh_wedding/weddingsfhell/weddingfromhell2003-1arc.shtml

bms2000

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »
It is also wrong for women to be tall as well. Apparently the bride should have cut off her legs so she wouldn't be taller than the groom.

Get out the chainsaw then. I'm 5'8", and DH is 5'2". At the end of the ceremony, I stepped down one step on the altar so he could kiss me.  :D

Asharah

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2007, 09:54:14 PM »
It is also wrong for women to be tall as well. Apparently the bride should have cut off her legs so she wouldn't be taller than the groom.

Get out the chainsaw then. I'm 5'8", and DH is 5'2". At the end of the ceremony, I stepped down one step on the altar so he could kiss me.  :D
I remember Little House On The Prairie on TV, when Nellie married Percival, who was shorter than she was.
Mrs. Olsen:You can't be in love with him! He's too short!
Nellie: I'm too tall!
Mrs. Olsen: That's your father's fault. His side of the family is tall.
Mr. Olsen: True, your side of the family is just fat.
 ;D
Asharah

dings

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »

I am 5'11", bf is 5'7." To heck with "convention"!  :)

spooon

Inconsistencies
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2007, 04:46:32 AM »
All italics added.  All upper-case emphasis in originals.

Original post:
In front of a CEMETERY.

Follow-up:
we were in a cemetery!

Original post:
Tay managed to get us seats at a table, but then I had to work to avoid making eye contact with anybody.

Follow-up:
So this stranger is accepting our hospitality whilst yipping to a LOT of our close friends about how "nasty" and "uncouth" we were. Even her Boyfriend was embarrassed by her behavior. She went off about our choice of a cold buffet (although we had a seafood bar (!) ), and refused to sit with any of our friends-- "T" actually went and set up a table for her, and her alone.

Original post:
No veil, no train, no flowers, nothing.  Her gown showed off her arms, back, and some of her legs above her boots.

Follow-up:
I had a long dress, and chose to wear comfy shoes as opposed to new ones...
As a final indignity, this girl left a note IN MY BOUQUET

Original:
So I wrote two notes, one saying they should be disgusted at what they're doing to the tradition of marriage, and another breaking up with Tay

Follow-up:
this girl left a note IN MY BOUQUET, written on tissue, accusing me of making a mockery of marriage, and telling ME, the bride, to tell "T" that she didn't want to see him anymore!

Original:
[The groom] was wearing a LEATHER COLLAR, five earrings, and an eyebrow ring
[The bride's] (black) hair was pulled back to show off the seven rings in each ear.

Follow-up:
I am quite pierced, and, in fact, have several tattoos. But what the heck? Do my browrings somehow nullify the wedding ring?

Nightibis

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
This sure looks like an exercise in creative writing, but I'll throw my two cents (OK, it's a long post, more like twenty-five cents) in as well.

I think the boyfriend meant to prank her.  He warned her that she'd "find them strange", but didn't bother quantifying in what manner.  I'm guessing she never saw the invitation, which would have stated the location and been in the goth style as well, giving her a head's up on what to expect.  She very well may have thought she was going to attend an ultra sheik affair (some of which start quite late) and ends up in front of a cemetery.   At midnight.  With all these strangely clothed and makeuped people, none of whom she knew.  Though she doesn't state it, dressed to the nines - looking (and feeling) completely out of place with the rest of the guests.

At the reception I bet she was extremely uncomfortable by the strangeness of the location and the very late hour didn't help.  Her not recognizing any of the dishes, emphasizing that they only had red wine to drink, and her fear of making eye contact makes me wonder if she didn't think (or the creative writer wanted us to think) she was in a room full of vampires.   So how does she bravely cope with her fear?  By focusing on what she finds "normal" hemlines and makeup. 

She didn't leave a note, let alone two.  What would she have written them on?  More to the point what would she have written them with, her lipstick?  Better yet, where?  In the bathroom before her "escape", or at the table where she was desperately trying to be inconspicuous?  She never states how she delivered them.  She's so afraid of them that she doesn't want them to see her leave, but she's bold enough to flounce around the room delivering notes?

She took the opportunity at Etiquette Hell to change her perception of the evening from one of fear to one where she was so in control that she could calmly critique the event.  If this event took place at all, which I doubt. 

Seriously, ask yourself, even if she could climb through a window wearing a formal evening gown, how did she get home?