News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 08:33:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "But I *insert faux pas here* and no one cared!" Well actually....  (Read 109993 times)

Maxie

Re: "But I *insert faux pas here* and no one cared!" Well actually....
« Reply #375 on: November 13, 2014, 07:54:17 AM »
What about this delicious, albeit not high-brow, tray? http://www.heb.com/e-comm/Fruit-and-Veggie-Trays/Texas-Cheese-and-Fruit-Tray/pmiPG58

Well, now, grapes are welcome to hang out on cheese or cheese / meat trays! That's totally fine, however, no other fruit would really be allowed that privilege. Veggies do not consort with fruits, and fruits are always segregated away from relish tray items. Yet, somehow, grapes cross that great divide and are just welcome to make friends anywhere - as long as they are SEEDLESS. Grapes with seeds are just not invited to the party.

I may have given this way too much thought.

Oh yeah...then explain tomatoes!!!  >:D ;)

Cucumbers too, if we're getting technical.  The biological definition of a fruit is the seed bearing organ of the plant, or the plant ovaries, if you want to get gross. Recently I've seen nutritionists get past this by specifying "dietary vegetable", when referring to things that are technically fruits but we consider vegetables when it comes to eating.

Cucumbers have been lying to me?

hjaye

« Reply #376 on: November 13, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
can we take all the food talk to a new thread please?

kategillian

« Reply #377 on: November 13, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »

My mom always called a tray of cut-up veggies and dip, a crudite. But she was known for "putting on airs."

Well... That is what it's called. (One of the things it's called)

catwhiskers

« Reply #378 on: November 13, 2014, 10:26:03 PM »
I had to start saying 'green salad' after someone brought a seven layer salad (en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-layer_salad) to one gathering.  There wasn't any lettuce in her version and I don't like peas.

In that link, it says: "It is served in a glass bowl or large pan so the layers can be observed." I can't help wondering what the writer thinks they might do...

kareng57

« Reply #379 on: November 14, 2014, 01:10:40 AM »
I'd be annoyed if I brought home made cookies and came home with Oreos.

That reminds me of when we were having a pot-luck at our house, and a friend asked what we'd like her to bring.  I said "A salad would be great."  She brought a store-bought pasta salad.  I had a few problems with this, namely:

• She was a stay-at-home mom of an 8-year-old, so time wasn't an issue.
  • She was a good cook, so ability wasn't an issue.
  • A pasta salad, to my mind, isn't a salad.  Especially this type of store-bought pasta salad, which was mostly soggy white pasta with tons of mayo and very little in the way of vegetables.

I think that might be taking it a bit far, as to some people that is a salad (I think you might want to say "green salad" in the future if that's the kind you want) and because I think the kind you can buy in, say, the deli section of a store is fine. It sounds like this one wasn't to your taste, but such salads are generally pretty fresh and of good quality.

I had to start saying 'green salad' after someone brought a seven layer salad (en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-layer_salad) to one gathering.  There wasn't any lettuce in her version and I don't like peas.

I too think that any kind of vegetable-salad would be okay.  I like to make a bean salad that consists of chick-peas, kidney beans, celery, green peppers and other ingredients.  If anyone would turn up her nose because "there was no lettuce" - well, I'd like to know that ahead of time.

Lynn2000

« Reply #380 on: November 14, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »
I'm wondering if the situation from the "choosing a restaurant to accommodate only one person" thread could go here, at least in part. Basically what happens is a group of people end up rejecting the fresh hot pizza the OP has brought them for dinner, to go out to a raw vegan restaurant with a limited menu, which is perfect for one of the group members (Alice) but unsatisfying to everyone else. Although I think there's plenty of rudeness to go around in that story, I'm wondering if Alice would say something like, "Well, I just made the suggestion to eat at the Grass Hut, and everyone went along with it, so how was I rude?"
~Lynn2000

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #381 on: November 14, 2014, 11:40:19 AM »
In that link, it says: "It is served in a glass bowl or large pan so the layers can be observed." I can't help wondering what the writer thinks they might do...

Heh.  "I've been watching this thing for an hour now, and it hasn't done sweet tweet.  I'm getting bored."

First time I ever asked Dh to watch an inanimate object for me (coat/purse/backpack, can't remember exactly) he asked "Why, is it going to do tricks?"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

magicdomino

« Reply #382 on: November 14, 2014, 01:21:09 PM »

Heh.  "I've been watching this thing for an hour now, and it hasn't done sweet tweet.  I'm getting bored."

First time I ever asked Dh to watch an inanimate object for me (coat/purse/backpack, can't remember exactly) he asked "Why, is it going to do tricks?"

"No, but it might smack you upside the head when you aren't looking."

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #383 on: November 14, 2014, 01:24:30 PM »
Locked because useful discussion has ceased.
Better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.