News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 08:18:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is the wedding supposed to start on the half hour?  (Read 11232 times)

kategillian

Re: Is the wedding supposed to start on the half hour?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 10:08:48 AM »
I worked at a hotel one time that did a lot of weddings, and on the day of a woman's wedding a bird flew in her mother's window, (ripped screen). Man, that lady flipped out! When I went up to the room to herd the bird out, and see what I could do, she was sitting there crying and yelling. Apparently, having a bird fly in the window on your wedding day is considered very bad luck. If I remember correctly, she was Italian? So perhaps this is an Italian superstition?

I'm going to agree with gellchom, letting superstitions run your life like this seems foolish! Sorry to threadjack, I just love telling that story, it ended up with the bird being a snack for the general managers cat, so it wasn't a very good day for the bird either!

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 10:37:02 AM »
I've never heard that superstition... And every wedding I've been to started on the hour (I think). Ours stared on the half-hour for logistical reasons - we happened to get the room from 4-10, so we had guests arriving during the first half hour for a 4:30 ceremony.

crella

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 10:30:13 PM »
There is (was?) an old superstition that if a bird gets into the house, it means that someone is going to die soon. I heard it in the US and Japan. I went to buy a bedspread once that had a bird on it as part of an embroidered scene and the sales lady said it would not have been sold 50 years or so previously, and that the superstition seemed to be largely forgotten.

Twik

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 09:31:11 AM »
Yes, I've heard that about the bird in the house meaning a death.

However, I've had a bird get into the house twice, and no one died immediately afterwards.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

kategillian

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »
Well, in the story the bird died immediately, so maybe that satisfied the superstition!

Luci

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »
There are a lot of traditional superstitions we didn't honor. Our wedding was at 3:00 pm. We are 48 years 7 months and counting; we both claim happiness.  ;D

I don't think I've ever been to an x:30 wedding, or one started later on purpose. No wedding  we have attended has failed so far, but one was pretty rocky for a bit.

I did the "Something old....." just for fun. Lucas saw my dress on the hanger. We had breakfast and picked up our wedding license the day of the wedding. We didn't know each other for a year before we got engaged.

I have always faithfully placed my rings on my finger with the wedding ring closer to my heart. That one is important to me. I didn't take my wedding ring off for 2 1/2 years until I had DD. The first thing Lucas did for me after all my surgeries was kiss me and put my wedding ring back on. About 2 years ago I finally had my rings soldered together, and I still wear them every day.

Superstitions are fun, and I pity the people who take them seriously.

gellchom

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 03:31:14 PM »
I just got back from helping my mother-in-law sort through her stuff to decide what to take with her to her new assisted living apartment.  On a few items she would say something like, "Well, but an elephant with the trunk up is supposed to be good luck, right?  So should I take it?"  I didn't want to insult her, but I didn't want her to use up the little space with something she didn't even really like just for "luck"; I mostly just said something like, "You're asking the wrong person -- I guess I just don't believe in objects being good or bad luck.  If you like it, bring it." 

The funny thing is, I don't think that she -- or for that matter a lot of people who actually do get excited about superstitions -- really do believe in them anyway.  But it seems like everyone engages in a few superstitious practices -- like wishing on a star or saying "knock wood" or whatever.  I think it's just that we all want to have a sense of control over destiny, or at least that events aren't entirely random.  Just too scary.

bopper

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »
But Hindu weddings are concerned with "auspicious dates" and "times" so you might have a 2am wedding.
http://www.hinduweddingaustralia.com/auspicious-dates.html