News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 04:24:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are mashed potatoes a big deal for you?  (Read 19581 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Are mashed potatoes a big deal for you?
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2014, 12:55:13 PM »
I experiment on Thanksgiving.  The turkey is different almost every year.  One year, Mom discovered adding extra sage to stuffing... then I discovered adding sausage to it.  Then I discovered sage sausage.  Win!

But the potatoes... one year I made mashed potatoes (with the skin on, thank you!) with minced garlic and ever since, potatoes are the one constant I simply don't experiment with.  I plan on making them even though I have to watch my carbs more carefully.  It just means they'll stretch out better with leftovers.   ;D

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »
Thanksgiving is one of the few days when you can load up on carby goodness without feeling even a little bit guilty. Mashed potatoes are the proper vehicle for scooping up your corn.  You scoop some mashed potatoes on your fork, dip it into the corn and enjoy a mouth full of carby, starchy goodness.

I spent a lot of Thanksgivings at other people's tables when I was single and living far from family. A couple of those didn't include mashed potatoes. They were missed.

lowspark

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »
I don't think mashed potatoes are hard to make or a lot of trouble, but I will qualify that by saying that I like the skin so I don't peel them. Just quarter, boil, mash & throw in a bunch of butter, milk and salt. And Yes, I like them lumpy.

And all that butter is why I don't make them often. The way I make them, they aren't exactly low fat. But hey, if you're gonna eat them, they might as well be good!!

My BIL who cooks TG dinner every year doesn't serve mashed potatoes, he serves whipped potatoes. No peel and he uses an electric hand mixer to whip them into a perfect smoothness.
Houston 
Texas 
USA 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »
We usually make them with skim milk, garlic powder, and a bit of butter. However, on holidays, we go overboard - whole milk, two kinds of cheese, garlic powder, cream cheese...it's absolutely decadent, but we only have it 1 - 2 times a year for a reason!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Vall

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »
Yes, home made mashed potatoes are a big deal for me at Christmas and especially at Thanksgiving.  I'm not picky about the seasonings or how they're made (lumps/smooth, skin/no skin, etc) but they are a comfort food so I really want them in some way.

We eat mashed potatoes throughout the year but on these special occasions I really want to make sure that I have my comfort food.  Plus, since there will be gravy with the holiday meal, I like to make a little volcano on my plate.

JadeAngel

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »
I just googled wedding mashed potato bars. They really are a thing.

Not what I'd imagined. It all looks quite nice, to be honest. I don't think I'd have one at my reception (too cutesy) but I can see why people do it.

Wow, that is a new one for me. Of course I could never have one of these at my own wedding because I would keep eating it until I burst out of my wedding dress.  ;D

I love mashed potato it's my absolute favourite comfort food but I have to go easy on it. Someone taught me to make twice baked potatoes - bake a potato, scoop out the filling leaving the skin intact to form a bowl, then mash the cooked potato together with bacon bits, cheese, spring onions and sour cream, scoop back into the potato bowl, sprinkle with grated cheese and back into the oven for just long enough for everything to turn melty. After a couple of weeks of this I didn't fit into my jeans anymore and had to stage an intervention for myself.

But it has to be proper mash, powdered potato is an abomination.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »
I love mashed potatoes.

Mashed potatoes are a pretty standard side item.  You can do them easily or take more time and go to more effort for the prep.  What kind of potato you use matters a lot, and it's a good idea to cut up potatoes and boil them in water instead of baking them to do mashed potatoes from scratch.  I'm not terribly fond of instant mashed potatoes, as they're usually too salty for me.

Mashed potato bars are a pretty silly thing - although it's a good way to serve a somewhat messy food neatly, and let guests top them as they please.

kckgirl

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
We absolutely must have mashed potatoes at our Thanksgiving meal. No instant mashed potatoes ever enter our house, and we like our mashed potatoes with lumps, so we don't mash too much.
Maryland

nayberry

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2014, 05:31:43 PM »
I love mash!! Cheesy or plain, with bacon or plain, etc  always make it with 1/4'd spuds and then mash together with a little milk and lashings of butter.  And always with a hand masher, I find a food processor turns them rather gluey.
any left overs get turned into a variety of second day dinners, tuna potato cakes anyone? (Tinned tuna, drained of the water, mixed through the potato and shaped into patties and chilled before frying and serving with baked beans, nomnomnom)

I tried instant mash once, was not a fan, but I will use it if I'm making quick gnocchi, makes it easy to control the liquid content.
baby berry arrived june 2016

PastryGoddess

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
I love mash!! Cheesy or plain, with bacon or plain, etc  always make it with 1/4'd spuds and then mash together with a little milk and lashings of butter.  And always with a hand masher, I find a food processor turns them rather gluey.
any left overs get turned into a variety of second day dinners, tuna potato cakes anyone? (Tinned tuna, drained of the water, mixed through the potato and shaped into patties and chilled before frying and serving with baked beans, nomnomnom)

I tried instant mash once, was not a fan, but I will use it if I'm making quick gnocchi, makes it easy to control the liquid content.

those tuna potato cakes sound amazing

nayberry

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »
They are scrummy! Half the time I make extra mash on purpose just so I can have them
baby berry arrived june 2016

Ginger G

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
I live in the southeast US, and we never have mashed potatoes for holiday meals in my family.  Probably because we serve sweet potatoes instead.  I do love them and probably serve them for dinner every 2 or 3 weeks.  It's just the two of us, so I usually just make a small batch with one large or 2 - 3 small/medium sized potatoes. 

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »
I love mashed potatoes. I rarely make them because they're not at all good for me, but they're a fun indulgence once in a while (yes, I could make them healthier, but then I wouldn't enjoy them, so I'll just eat them less frequently). I boil them in heavily salted broth, leave the skins on, then "mash" them in the food processor with whole milk, a stick of melted butter, garlic powder, pepper, and salt if the broth didn't add enough.

My husband's friend told him she puts nutmeg in hers, just a tiny bit. I thought that sounded horrible but tried it anyway, and wow does it change them for the better. You don't put quite enough in to be able to taste the nutmeg itself. The first few times I had to add a pinch at a time until they were right, but now I can just eyeball it. I never would have though to put nutmeg in, but I'm glad I did.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »
I don't know how others make mashed potatoes, but when I make them, it takes longer than just about any other side I make (most sides are raw or quickly prepped vegetables). So, when I was single I made them about once every 3 months, and generally had mashed potatoes and nothing else for dinner because I like them enough to do so, and the calorie count is so high.

Now that I'm married to an extremely unpicky dude, it's just about the only food he doesn't like. I get them on holidays if we're eating with others, but I don't like making dishes at home that won't get eaten by both of us, so I have made them maybe once since we married, and once or twice before that.

I make them with a ton of roasted garlic, a moderate amount of butter, some milk/milk alternative or broth or sour cream,  and lots of pepper, skin typically on; Parmesan cheese optional. I like them either on the thick side -- if so, I don't mind lumps -- or slightly thinner and completely smooth.

I've made blue or purple mashed potatoes, or mashed sweet potatoes (add a bit of cinnamon and red pepper). All good.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2014, 05:36:20 PM »
I love mashed potatoes. I make simple ones for weekday meals. I add bacon, chives or cheese if we want fancier ones.

For holidays, I adapted a Tyler Florence recipe. The potatoes get washed, peeled and cut into chunks. I add milk and cream to my 5 quart crock pot and add the potatoes. I peel and smash garlic cloves and a few sprigs of thyme. I tie those into a piece of cheese cloth. Then I set the timer on the crock pot for 4 hours and make the rest of the meal.

When the potaoes are cooked through, I use a ricer on them. I add butter, salt, pepper and some of the leftover milk and cream. Then I add a tablespoon or three of coarse ground mustard to the potatoes.

They take more work but my family love them.