Author Topic: Angel on the Highway  (Read 1852 times)

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
Angel on the Highway
« on: January 08, 2007, 04:28:48 PM »
This actually happened to me in 1999, but I think it warrents a post here.

I was driving my old cluncker of a car ('91 Ford Tempo) to see my mom who lived about 20 miles away from me. My car was on its last leg anyway, but I drove it anyway.

I had two of my kids in the back and the youngest was with my DH. I got half way to my destenation when the OIL light came on. SO I stopped, bought a quart of oil and put it in my car, hoping that that would get me to my mom's. Nope. A few more miles down the road and the car started sputtering and coughing. Then it died.

I put on my flashers and try to start it again. Meanwhile, I've got people backed up behind me and honking. I am trying to wave them around when I get a knock on my window. It was a man in his late 40's. I roll down my window (it was wintertime) and he asks if there's a problem. I say yeah, car died. So he helps me get it off to the side. THen he asked me what happened and I told him. I was on the brink of tears at this point. I told him we only had two vehicles, that car and my DH's truck which only fit two. No money to buy another car. He asks if I have a cell phone. No. So he and his wife offer to take me into town.

I get in the van (they had a mini-van. And FWIW, I would not have done this if he had been alone. All I could think of was getting my little kids warm. It was pretty cold out) and he took my to my mom's house. I had to give him directions. He also gave me $20 (not much) to help us out anyway he could. It was the thought that counted. He also said that he and his wife would be praying for me.

Well, lucky for us, my parents loaned us their extra car. Also it was January so we didn't have long for Tax time and refunds. We used our refund to get a 1989 Dodge Mini-Van (very nice and well taken care of) We had it for about 2 years before we sold it to my Dh's sister.

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Quesselin

Re: Angel on the Highway
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 04:24:39 AM »
What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing, it really brightened up my day (and it's a gray, gray morning here, let me tell you!).