News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 11:54:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: top layer of wedding cake  (Read 19577 times)

goldilocks

top layer of wedding cake
« on: November 24, 2014, 09:18:08 AM »
when I was younger and attending weddings, it was the custom to remove the top layer of the wedding cake (which was fairly small), and  freeze it.   The couple then ate this on their first anniversary.

The wedding's I've been to lately I haven't noticed if this was done.

Do people  still do this?  Did anyone ever actually eat it later?

Dindrane

Re: top layer of wedding cake
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 09:20:32 AM »
I ended up doing this, mostly because there was a ton of extra cake. We didn't eat it on our first anniversary, because the cake was in my parents' freezer, and we don't even live in the same timezone (much less the same state). I think my parents did take it out when we visited during probably our second year of marriage, but the cake itself was awful.

I'm a sentimental sort of person who loves traditions like this and also loves cake, but I'm not sure I'd bother with this one.

TootsNYC

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:23:20 AM »
The wedding's I've been to lately I haven't noticed if this was done.

I don't know if you would ever have noticed it, particularly. Many, many times the symbolic first cut is done in front of everyone, and then the rest of the cake is taken elsewhere to be cut up. So you'd never know unless you were close enough that the couple told you anything.

What I began seeing awhile ago is that cake makers would include in their packages an "anniversary" cake that they'd make for you fresh a year later, on the theory that freezing the top layer didn't yield the best of cakes, and took up too much room in the freezer.

So I don't think it's done nearly as much as it might have been. (I have some skepticism about it being done all that much in -reality- in the past.)

goldilocks

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:26:09 AM »
The people I know that did it quite often ended up not eating it.   

Luci

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
We did, in 1966 and 1967. It was fine! Considering how few traditional things we skipped, I'm amazed we did follow through on this. Also, our daughter used the cake knife at her wedding after we had it engraved for her, and we used it at our 40th anniversary party. One of twins has a serious boyfriend, so I'd better locate the knife and be ready.

I've seen the top set aside at weddings we've been to lately, but I've never found out if anyone really ate it later.

I wonder if the type of frosting makes a difference. Our cake was traditional dull wedding cake: white cake and boiled frosting. It was just wrapped in one layer of waxed paper and several layers of plastic; no box was used. We lived 5 hours away from where it was stored in Mom's freezer, but it traveled well. I don't know what happened to our children's cakes.

Alicia

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 09:36:26 AM »
Bakers often will make you a fresh cake a year later. Same flavor and decor.
But really the tradition seems wasteful to me. Eat fresh delicious cake instead of old freezer burn cake

cattlekid

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »
For my first wedding, I would have loved to do so but my ex-BIL ate the cake that was stored in the freezer sometime during the year of storage.   :-\

For my second wedding, we didn't bother. We had a very small cake and then sheet cakes made in the same design to save costs and we just had the staff cut up and serve the whole thing.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »
The top layer can be intended for this purpose, but needs to be a sturdier kind of cake to survive the freezing.

When we got married in 1997, we did not save the top layer. I don't have space or desire to hold on to cake for a year. I haven't seen any wedding I've attended where the top layer was saved.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

goldilocks

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »
My best friends son got married this past weekend and she said they did save  the top layer.

My DD says she has no interest in doing this so we won't.

camlan

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 09:53:10 AM »
I think traditionally wedding cake was fruit cake, and if it had been doused in some sort of alcohol, probably would have kept fairly well for a year. Modern cake? Not so much, even in a freezer.

Most people I know go back to the bakery that provided the wedding cake and get a free small cake on their first anniversary.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 09:57:35 AM »
We intended to do this, but hurricane Hugo had other ideas. 13 days with no electricity=no freezer=yuck!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Thipu1

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 10:01:27 AM »
Yes, the traditional fruit cake would probably be able to survive nuclear war. 

I remember that a similar tradition was for the MOH to root a sprig of ivy from her bouquet and present the plant to the HC as a first anniversary gift. I think that's a sweet tradition.   

goldilocks

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »
I read something interesting in the information my baker sent me.   I've always heard that you can save money by buy a "fake" cake and actually serving sheet cake from the kitchen.   My baker pointed out that decorating a "fake" cake (assuming you want one special) takes just as long as decorating a real one, so you may not save as much as you think.

menley

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
I did it in 2010. Tasted great to me in 2011!

lowspark

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
Saved it. Ate it. Well, took a bite of it maybe. It was stale. So I'd say, totally skippable.
Houston 
Texas 
USA