News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 09:15:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: top layer of wedding cake  (Read 19609 times)

Bottlecaps

• She boxed her shadow and she won.
Re: top layer of wedding cake
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2015, 07:57:54 PM »
Well, our first anniversary is here, and we ate some of the top layer this evening. I have to say, it still tasted pretty darn good! It was just a little dry, but not bad at all, and it still tasted pretty much exactly the same as I remember it tasting a year ago. It kept better than I thought it would, to be honest!
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

MummySweet

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
Well, our first anniversary is here, and we ate some of the top layer this evening. I have to say, it still tasted pretty darn good! It was just a little dry, but not bad at all, and it still tasted pretty much exactly the same as I remember it tasting a year ago. It kept better than I thought it would, to be honest!

Happy Anniversary Bottlecaps!     Glad your cake was enjoyable and I hope you enjoyed the memories too.   

We also ate our cake on our first anniversary and it was great.  Before I froze it I scrapped off the frosting.  After I thawed it out I refrosted and it seemed just as fresh as it had at our wedding.

HannahGrace

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »
Happy anniversary! Mine is in a couple of weeks. We used a local baker so we are going to have her make a fresh cake for us. Can't wait ...I love cake :)

Miss Understood

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »
The top layer of our cake is residing in our freezer currently, awaiting consumption on August 30, 2015. :) I'm hoping it still tastes good!

Did it?  :D

mmswm

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2015, 02:38:44 AM »
My ex-husband and I attempted to save ours, but we ran out of freezer space, even after being gifted a gigantic chest freezer.  You see, the companion gift to the chest freezer was a whole, butchered cow.  My ex's godparents were cattle ranchers.  After the cow was butchered, wrapped and stored, we didn't have room for anything else.  As an aside, I didn't eat beef for a very long time after our first year of marriage, since we ate so much of it, as we were broke newlyweds and couldn't justify buying any other meat since we had so much beef already in the freezer.  On the other hand, it was very nice, as very broke newlyweds, to not have to worry about the most expensive part of the food budget in a meat eating household.

BF stated that he and his late wife attempted to save their as well, but his psychotic brother-in-law (literally, he's currently confined to a mental hospital for the rest of his life after being adjudicated "not guilty by reason of mental illness" many years ago) stole the cake. 

On a funny note, the whole reason I mentioned this thread to him was because of the fruitcake comments, particularly the one about being able to survive a nuclear war.  He interrupted me to tell me what happened to the top tier of his cake before I got to it, so after he told me that part, I got back to the point, as he really, really, really loves fruitcake.  When I told him that traditionally wedding cake was fruitcake he got this certain look on his face that makes me certain that if I wind up marrying this man, my next wedding cake will be "traditional".  Oh, boy.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

CakeEater

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2015, 02:58:42 AM »
  When I told him that traditionally wedding cake was fruitcake he got this certain look on his face that makes me certain that if I wind up marrying this man, my next wedding cake will be "traditional".  Oh, boy.

You can have different flavours in different tiers. Perfectly fine for one to be fruitcake and the other tiers different flavours.

You're not condemned to fruitcake hell.  ;)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2015, 03:16:04 AM »
Here you don't keep the cake for your 1st anniversary, rather for the christening of your first child. My brother's cake was 8 years old. We ate it and it was delicious. It was a fruit cake though. Those suckers are hardy.

Victoria

Zerbinetta

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 08:19:43 PM »
My exH and I tried. Someone else packaged it, a couple of days later I wrapped that packaging in foil, and it went in the freezer. However, I didn't realize that the fresh flowers that had decorated it had been left on. We thawed it without unwrapping it. By that time, it was pretty much a disgusting, inedible mess.

Miss Understood

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2015, 12:10:21 AM »
I haven't the faintest idea what happened to our top tier - it wasn't a huge cake since we had a small wedding, so I assume it was cut with the bottom and middle tiers to be served to our guests.  I did save my bouquet though.

Margo

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2015, 04:01:04 AM »
Traditional Wedding cake has a lot in common with Christmas Pudding. This Christmas Pud was still god after 46 years...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-35159800

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
We didn't.  We had three tiers that were each a different flavor.  The bottom was red, the middle was chocolate and the top was white.  There is always someone that wants white.  We honeymooned at home and ate wedding leftovers including the cake.