News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 02:35:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Sweetie and a successful bean dip  (Read 3767 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
The Sweetie and a successful bean dip
« on: December 01, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »
MIL visited us over Thanksgiving. As usual, we got lots of arias from her. (We heard at least three times, in detail, about the low-flow water kits her city provides. Two shower heads, three aeraters, and plumber's tape! Isn't that clever of them to include the tape because [ad nauseum])

During T'day dinner (us, her, and a friend of ours who's a medical researcher), she said "This is going to sound racist, but..." and then started saying something very racist.

The Sweetie stood up and said "I'm going to get some more tea. Hey, Mom, didn't you mention (nephew) had started a new job sterilizing surgical instruments? Tell (friend) about that."

MIL switched right over to nephew's job. The Sweetie mouthed to me, "Bean dip!"
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
Re: The Sweetie and a successful bean dip
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:13:40 PM »
Well played ma'am, very well played!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
Very nicely done, and far more polite than I probably would have been.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »

During T'day dinner (us, her, and a friend of ours who's a medical researcher), she said "This is going to sound racist, but..." and then started saying something very racist.

When people do this, I swear only sheer willpower keeps my eyes from rolling out of my head and WORDS in my mouth

TaterTot

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 12:39:38 AM »
Yikes! Is this the MIL who has hinted that she wants to move in with you and told you that you should head to bed at 10:30 pm? She sounds like quite a handful. :P

BeagleMommy

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »
Very well done!