News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 03:53:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who provides the bonus?  (Read 9028 times)

wrenskibaby

Who provides the bonus?
« on: December 13, 2014, 10:26:17 AM »
I work as a housekeeper for a company.  The owner asked me to start cleaning the home of one of the vice presidents for a moderate amount of money.  I agreed and have been cleaning this family's huge home for a few years.  The owner then asked me if I would also clean her adult daughter's home.  It is cluttered, unsafe and unsanitary.  I'm talking about having to sweep up dustpans of dog poop, scrub dried urine off the floor and other horrors when I go to the home.  So I started doing that, too.  The business owner pays me for cleaning the two homes. I have come to care quite a bit about these two families because, to me, cleaning up after someone is pretty intimate.  I know when they've been sick (more splatters than usual in the toilets), when they buy new clothes (tags all over the floor), whether they're eating well (the trash can tells all), when they're intimate (I can't not see what's in the trash or on the floor!) etc.

I was very much hoping for a tip or bonus from the two families last Christmas.  In fact, I was as excited as heck because etiquette guides usually say to tip the housekeeper the amount of one cleaning. I got nothing, though.  Not even a cookie or a thank-you.  It was hard not to take it personally, since I perform what is, to me, a very personal service.  Someone suggested it was up to the owner of the company to tip, not the families whose houses I cleaned.  Just wondered what you all thought.  Should a tip, if any, come from the business owner or the homeowners? 

Bales

Re: Who provides the bonus?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 10:49:08 AM »
In my experience, the tip would come from the homeowners.  If the company offered a bonus, that would come from the company, but I think what you are referring to is a tip specific to the service you provided to these families, not a company bonus.  Just like tipping the newspaper delivery person if you are so inclined. 

I hope you are not being taken advantage of because this is a VP of the company.  Not sure if by "moderate" fee, you mean less than market rate or something else, and not sure if the company sets the rate and gave the VP a deal.  If that's the case, they certainly should be giving you a nice tip!

Mergatroyd

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 11:01:11 AM »
I would think the owners of the homes would provide a tip, but a bonus would come from the company who pays your fee.

wrenskibaby

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:01:29 PM »
Sorry for not differentiating between a tip and a bonus.  I can see that there is a difference.  Thank you for the replies.  They make sense. 

My pay is the low end of average for this area.  I am hopeful again this holiday season but I am ready to be disappointed again, too.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »
Perhaps you should think of raising your rates?

Promise

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 12:38:39 PM »
I think it's nice and builds bonds when you honor an employee with a Christmas gift or bonus. However, the homeowners and guy who pays you are not obligated to do so. Perhaps they still will since Christmas is still  a couple weeks away.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:40:31 PM by Promise »

Promise

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 12:44:28 PM »
Perhaps it might be time to raise your rate...

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 02:14:30 PM »
I agree that it's up to the homeowner to tip you, and also that it sounds like you aren't being paid enough. Cleaning up animal waste and used birth control products for the low end of your pay rate? That's not right. You should definitely be getting a much higher wage for all that extra (nasty!) work.  :-\

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »
I think you should politely write to the company and inform them that in 2015 your rates will be going up and state a new rate.  Don't be at the low end!  It sounds like you do a very good job and deserve to be paid at the higher end of regular, not the lower end.

I have a housecleaner come occasionally to clean our house, and I tip her one session's worth at Christmas time and put the money in a Christmas card.  I used to buy her a gift for her son, when he was small, always including a gift receipt (I'd get stuff like an outfit from Baby Gap and a book).  I switched to cash when he got older and I didn't know what to buy.  Cash is more businesslike, so I probably should have been doing that all along, but it felt friendlier to give her something to spoil her kid with before (she's a single mom).
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

TootsNYC

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 04:25:03 PM »
Perhaps you should think of raising your rates?

Uh, yeah, for sure. Don't be at the low end!!

And in fact, use this as an indicator that you need to have a greater variety in your clients--find some that -will- give you a Christmas gift. (Or, if they won't, at least they'll pay more!)

Start casting around, sending out feelers. Don't let that very human reaction of feeling connected to these people make you sacrifice yourself for them.

You can earn more.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:57:51 PM by TootsNYC »

FauxFoodist

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
Also, I suspect other housekeepers would charge more for the adult daughter's home because it involves more work when cleaning (I once had a coworker who hired someone from a maid service to do a one-time cleaning of the house he shared with two other single guys; she quoted them one price then, upon cleaning their house, told them they had to pay a higher price since the house was a lot messier and more difficult to clean than expected).

browzer11

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 12:07:35 AM »
wren, I'm confused.  You say, you work as a housekeeper for a company.

Who sets your rates? You, as a private contractor or the company itself?

In other words, did you bid on this job or were you hired as a housekeeper?

If you are a direct employee of the company, short of getting a raise, you cannot just raise your rates.

As far as any tips, it's up to the owners of the homes to tip you. Not the company.

One other thing, and please don't interpret this the wrong way, but I think you may be getting too "close" to these families.

Deetee

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 05:41:16 AM »
If there was a tip, I would expect it to come from the person who is paying you the rest of the year. I think you can expect no bonus/tip this year as that is what happened in previous years.

Like other, if you feel that you are not being paid enough for your work, negotiate a raise-don't hope for a bonus. And, I don't know what you are being paid, but it's not enough.

(You may also be able to suggest that the terrible place needs more than 2 hours a visit-maybe more visits or longer visits or 4 hours every 4 visits for a deeper clean)

YummyMummy66

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 05:43:09 AM »
We need a little more clarification.

How are you paid for cleaning these two homes?  Is it in your normal paycheck with the company for you work for?   Or do you receive payment separate from the company you work for?

Do you work during your normal business hours cleaning these homes or do you clean these homes separately from your normal weekly schedule?

Who decided the rate scale?  Your boss? or the owner' of the homes?

After I receive these answers, I can better provide a possible solution,

As for a tip, it is never a sure thing.  No one has to tip anyone, although it would be nice in some cases, one of them being yours. 

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 05:49:43 AM by YummyMummy66 »

miranova

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »
I don't think it's very wise to get your hopes up for a bonus.  It may be advised by some etiquette sources but it's certainly not required to give one's housekeeper a bonus.  Many of us work hard all year and don't receive any kind of end of year bonus, whether we deserve one or not.  The answer is not to keep blindly hoping for one but to accept the things you can't change and change the things you can.  I think it's time to stop expecting it from these two families.  I see no reason to hope for one this year when you didn't get one last year.  Just raise your rates so you won't be so resentful about being on the low end of the pay scale.