Author Topic: What type of crackers go with brie?  (Read 22993 times)

LB

What type of crackers go with brie?
« on: September 04, 2007, 05:49:37 PM »
Hopefully this is the right place to ask, because I'd like some opinions.
I'm asking because my choice got a funny look and comment from the cashier when I bought brie and crackers the other day.
What kind do you use? Is there a "traditional" kind of crackers that are supposed to go with brie?

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: What type of crackers go with brie?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 05:50:38 PM »
i like those carr's water crackers or wasa crackers.  but it's your choice.  don't let a cashier tell you what to eat :)

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 05:52:19 PM »
i like those carr's water crackers or wasa crackers.  but it's your choice.  don't let a cashier tell you what to eat :)

ITA. These are the kinds of crackers I have been served with Brie, and sometimes apple or pear slices.  Yummy!

dings

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 05:55:50 PM »
mmmm...brie...

sorry.

I like the Wasa crackers too. There is no "correct" cracker to eat with brie, as far as I know.  Spreading it on pieces of a crusty baguette are good too...

I don't like it when people comment on what I am buying.  I once had a cashier exclaim, "wow! that's so expensive" about a hairbrush I was buying ($6).  I was SO close to telling her, "oh well I guess i don't want it, then"  but I really needed it.  It irked me though.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 05:59:36 PM »
I once had a cashier exclaim, "wow! that's so expensive" about a hairbrush I was buying ($6).  I was SO close to telling her, "oh well I guess i don't want it, then"  but I really needed it.  It irked me though.

We always do beef jerky on road trips, don't know why, it's tradition I guess.  We went to one gas station & the attendant said "You do know that's $8"  I just nodded and paid...  Do they not want us spending money at their establishments?

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

LB

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 06:56:17 PM »

Thats funny, I usually get carr's water crackers to go with it, but I thought I'd try something different. So I bought toasted wheat crackers. The cashier got a confused look on her face and said, "Hmmm, that should be interesting." I just kind of looked at her for a minute and said "I guess so."
By the way, I thought they tasted great with it!

I've never had it with fruit. I'll have to try it.

Sefie

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 07:10:42 PM »
We normally get either water crackers, or plain rice crackers.  Toasted wheat ones, I assume, have a rougher texture and grainy-er flavour, and so would be a bigger contrast with the smooth, mild cheese.  It would definitely be an interesting taste!  Maybe the cashier is just fond of cheese, and might be inspired to try that combination herself.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 10:54:15 PM »
I like brie and camembert on french bread toasted with garlic and butter.

chigger

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 09:00:11 AM »
I like brie and camembert on french bread toasted with garlic and butter.

Oh, me too. Or water crackers. Or wrapped in puff pastry. Yum!

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2007, 01:04:18 PM »
Get a peasant loaf of some nice bread (sourdough works well.)  Hollow it out and fill it with chunks of brie and some garlic (pre-roasted, I think -- have to check with my SO.)  Bake until the cheese melts.  Cut the bread that you removed into cubes -- you can toast it if you like.  Use the bread to dip out the brie.  Then eat the bowl.  Then lick the plate.  Then explode.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LissaR1

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 01:37:34 PM »
I actually like it on the toasted wheat crackers, myself :)  Like the Sociables ones.  I like the contrast between the cheese and the crackers, and I think they complement each other quite well.  (Especially since we usually get the cheaper Brie, not the really good gourmet stuff because our grocery store doesn't sell it :P)

Also, very good wrapped in pastry (puff, or Pillsbury crescent rolls) with some raspberry jam.  Or phyllo.  Or in a calzone with caramelized onions and thyme and maybe apples.

Or without anything else :)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 01:39:19 PM »

oh, those cheeses (chedder, camembert, brie, goat's cheese...) are amazing with fruit! think grapes, figs, crisp apple slices...yum!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ch1pch0p

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 01:45:51 PM »

oh, those cheeses (chedder, camembert, brie, goat's cheese...) are amazing with fruit! think grapes, figs, crisp apple slices...yum!!

Or pears.

With some candied nuts on the side.

And a glass of wine...

LB

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 01:50:13 PM »
I like were this thread is going...keep those ideas coming if you have them, I'm writing them all down!

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 01:55:29 PM »
I'm asking because my choice got a funny look and comment from the cashier when I bought brie and crackers the other day.
What kind do you use? Is there a "traditional" kind of crackers that are supposed to go with brie?

Much as I'm very keen on the proper way to eat cheese, I wouldn't be snobby about crackers. Anything that tastes good goes. Etiquette does not dictate what you eat.

Water biscuits are my first stop, but they have to be the traditional thin ones like Carrs, not the puffy ones. I like brie on digestive biscuits (got to be McVities though) or a Hovis biscuit but think the Cornish wafer also lends itself well, as does the cracker with sesame and poppy seeds in, and so does the Choice Grain (Jacobs), and the oat cake (lots of varieties).

Hell, it's BRIE, how can it not taste good on anything? Even deep fried it tastes great.