News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 02:38:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Success!  (Read 4123 times)

EMuir

Success!
« on: December 26, 2014, 01:15:45 AM »
We had a great Christmas.  There was one relative, though, my SIL, who has a history of wanting to be the center of attention.  She also talks constantly and dominates conversations.  When she was younger she often would run crying to her room over the slightest perceived offense and wait expectantly for her mother to comfort her.  Now that she's an adult and married, and things are going well in general, she cries when she feels especially happy instead and stays present, having her spouse comfort her.  It really has the feeling of a show. She isn't depressed in general.

Over the last few days, every time she has dominated conversation and then directed it toward a subject where she started tearing up, I had successfully beandipped.  Finally, tonight, she made one last attempt and it was so obvious that I finally actually blurted out, literally, "How about that local sports team?", and my spouse (her sister) who hears etiquette Hell advice from me, chimed in with "Have you tried the bean dip?"  We had just finished dessert.

Everyone chuckled and we actually did discuss local sports.  A minute later SIL excused herself to the living room.  A few minutes after that she called her husband to join her. 

We continued to visit at the table for another hour.  It was actually a relief to have conversation with other relatives for a change.

When we all eventually migrated to the living room, SIL didn't talk much. She's done that before too, her idea of punishing us is withdrawing her constant chain of thought talking.  She wasn't outright pouting, so once again we ignored her and had a good conversation.

Thank you eHell for helping us combat her self-centeredness. :)

CakeEater

Re: Success!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 02:07:22 AM »
I can't "bean dip". I can never think of something to change the subject to that isn't completely obvious what I'm doing- I fear that my attempts would be as blatant as yours.  ;)

But I'm glad it worked in his case!

bopper

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 09:35:29 AM »
I have also literally said "How 'bout those Mets?" and sometimes people get it and sometimes they talk about the Mets.

JenAnn

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »
That is awesome!  You must be very quick-witted because it sounds like you had to do this SEVERAL times before she was finally neutralized.  I'm guessing you aren't her favorite person, but you are probably fine with that.  ;)