News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 09:16:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I used it! Finally!  (Read 7852 times)

LadyStormwing

I used it! Finally!
« on: December 29, 2014, 09:30:24 PM »
I am cold. This is a perpetual state of existence for me between mid-September and late May, no matter how many layers I wear, no matter how thick the jacket, scarf, mittens, and hat I don. I'm just cold*. Give me a steaming hot shower and an electric blanket and I might thaw out for a while, but that's about it. To that end,  I keep a small electric heater under my desk at work and a blanket over my lap, but that doesn't often stop me from having to put my coat back on.

I have a coworker, let's call her Polly, who has the opposite problem. Her desk is at the other end of the room - near the windows and the heaters. Other people working in our office have told me multiple times that the heat from my heater cannot be felt outside a 4 foot radius of my desk, but that has not stopped Polly from opening windows or making (loud) comments like "You can't possibly be cold. I'm sweating back here."

I've been hearing comments like this since October when I started wearing a sweater on a daily basis. Last week, right before Christmas, as I stood there in my wool tights, leggings, ankle-length skirt, tank-top, turtleneck, sweater, and shawl, I finally remembered my e-hell training and said, cool as a drink of water, "What and interesting assumption," and didn't say anything else to her the rest of the day.

*And yes, my thyroid is normal, thank you for asking.

gramma dishes

Re: I used it! Finally!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:37:41 PM »
Good for you for putting the phrase to good use.

But I can't help but wonder the obvious.  Why don't you and Polly exchange desk spots so that you're near the heaters and she's in the polar zone?

Alicia

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 09:39:54 PM »
Kuddos LadyStormwing well done. People have different internal thermostats and it is no business of anyone  else.

I feel similar and live in smartwool layers all winter.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
You sound like my mom. I always tell her she's cold-blooded. :) She does actually have a lower than average body temperature - if she's at 98.6 she's running a slight fever, so I do think that might be connected.

A lot of people respond to the same temperature differently. And a lot of offices are not at the same temperature everywhere (one place I worked if I walked to speak to a colleague, I could feel it warming up as I walked) so it's strange she finds it odd.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 11:48:07 PM »
Why don't the two of you swop desks.  You'd be more comfy next to the heaters and she'd be comfy away from them.

Wintergreen

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 06:11:52 AM »
Also, if there is draft at your desk (caused for example by air conditioning), it can make it feel much colder, even if the temperatures won't differ.

Personally, I'm one of those who has quite low regular body temperature and ice cold hands and legs, but I don't usually feel like I'm freezing, quite the opposite usually. However what I've noticed is that especially wintertime, if my eating is not spot on, I'll start to feel cold. For summer is perfectly okay (maybe not healthy, tho :D) for me to skip breakfast and lunch and just eat big dinner, but for winter it just won't work, and the lunch needs to be substantial also.

TurtleDove

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 06:38:45 AM »
While the PA comments are uncalled for, Polly's comfort matters too. As someone who is easily overheated, it is very uncomfortable. I don't get flushed; I sweat. I think there has to be some way to address this because it would be an "interesting assumption" that Polly isn't hot and sweating too.

Kiwipinball

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 07:40:27 AM »
While the PA comments are uncalled for, Polly's comfort matters too. As someone who is easily overheated, it is very uncomfortable. I don't get flushed; I sweat. I think there has to be some way to address this because it would be an "interesting assumption" that Polly isn't hot and sweating too.

I don't think OP thinks she's not hot, her discomfort just has nothing to do with OP's space heater. I agree, it would be preferable if they could both be comfortable, but using a space heater, blankets, dressing warmly, etc. is one of the ways to be warmer without insisting the thermostat is kept warmer, which would affect everyone.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
Why don't the two of you swop desks.  You'd be more comfy next to the heaters and she'd be comfy away from them.

Is this possible at your office? If yes, that might be a good idea. I'm like you OP I'm always running cold (I never leave the house without a sweater or jacket even when my friends are wearing t-shirts). So it's hard to find a happy medium for me when I'm around people that run hot. One of my best friends is always warm so she drives with the windows open, something I would never do on my own.

If your office is flexible you could run the idea by the too-warm woman and see what she thinks.

LadyStormwing

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »
Switching desks would be ideal, except for the way the office is set up. A good part of my job is to be the "first line of defense" when it comes to communicating with students, parents, and visitors, and our desks are 1. set up like dominoes and 2. built into the walls and floors. Ergo, moving positions is not an option, as I wouldn't be able to be up front when people come in.

Like others have mentioned, the normal 98.6*F also indicates a slight fever for me. I run an average 97.2*. No idea why. Just do. I thrive on being abnormal, I guess.  ::)

JoW

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
Get Polly a fan.  If she doesn't want it blowing on her set it to move the hot air away from her desk.

42istheanswer

• I will catch you if you fall. - The Floor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 06:21:38 PM »
I feel your pain. I have the opposite problem, I almost never get cold. Leave me out in the snow with no jacket, i'll be fine. But some people just don't understand that. They keep insisting that since *they* are cold, I must be too. I'm always told to put on a jacket.  ::)

Or for your case, since *they* are hot, you must be too.
Perfect usage of the term!
"But I neeeeed tacos! I need them or I will explode! That happens to me sometimes!" -GIR

Chipmunky

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 07:21:14 AM »
I am also perpetually cold in the office. I keep a small space heater under the desk, wear a cardigan or jacket regularly, and have a blanket over the back of my chair. (This office building does not kick on the heat unless the outside temperature dips below 49 degrees- otherwise it blasts cold air all the time). I've fingerless gloves in my desk drawer in the event of very cold Mondays (building maintenance seems to believe the way to save money on electric expenses in cold weather is to turn off the heat during the weekends, as no one is here, regardless of deep freeze warnings).  I feel your pain.

Might I also recommend, the Sunbeam XL back/neck/shoulder heating pad? We got one for my Dad, who has serious neck and back problems which heat therapy seems to help. He loves it, and it feels like your neck, shoulders, and back just sank into a hot bath. DH got one for me as well. It might help with the "keeping warm" while giving the coworker less to complain about.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 08:27:57 AM »
Hello Soul Sister!   That describes me and my workplace environment pretty exactly.  Except that my opposite is my cubicle wall neighbor.  And the landlord banned space heaters last spring.  The office is a normal indoor winter temp for this area, 72.  But my preferred indoor temp is 78 and hers is 65 or less.  Although, my opposite doesn't complain about my heater, but only because I can't have one. 

Have you tried an electric blanket?   I started that about a month ago after being miserable due to the lack of heater.  Something about having the warmth right on my legs has been very helpful.  For the top half I wear ear muffs and a wool throw. 

Fortunately for me the conference room is a tolerable temp, so I can go to meetings in normal clothes. 

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
Switching desks would be ideal, except for the way the office is set up. A good part of my job is to be the "first line of defense" when it comes to communicating with students, parents, and visitors, and our desks are 1. set up like dominoes and 2. built into the walls and floors. Ergo, moving positions is not an option, as I wouldn't be able to be up front when people come in.

Like others have mentioned, the normal 98.6*F also indicates a slight fever for me. I run an average 97.2*. No idea why. Just do. I thrive on being abnormal, I guess.  ::)

I ran around 96.8*F for years before I finally got the definitive thyroid antibody tests to diagnose that I was hypothyroid.  I run closer to 97.6* now - but if the thermometer reads 98.6*F, I probably feel slightly feverish and like I'm coming down with something.  It's standard practice to keep thyroid doses slightly low because high thyroid leads to a whole long list of other issues (bone density drops to the point of bones breaking easily, among other things - so doctors prefer to have you under medicated rather than even slightly over medicated).

That 98.6*F is an "average" not a "norm", not quite the same thing - no matter that most people just assume that if they aren't reading 98.6*F on a thermometer, then something is wrong.  Not that their circadian rhythm has their temperature up or down due to the time of day...or whatever.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?