News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 03:54:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Report bad driver to the boss?  (Read 11329 times)

shortstuff

Report bad driver to the boss?
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:59:14 PM »
A new employee started working at my job about 2 weeks ago, and, to put it bluntly, he does not seem to be a safe driver at all.  He is a driver for my company, so a clean driving record is essential to him keeping his job.  I witnessed 2 incidents that have me troubled.

1) Our parking lot has one of those little perimeter roads around it, that you're supposed to drive on at slow speeds to reach the exit onto the highway.  He was following behind me on the road, and though I was driving 'fast' at about 15-20 mph (the rule is to drive at 10mph), he zoomed past me and crossed the empty parking spaces to get to the exit before me.  The lot was not completely empty, but enough for him to pass through without any fancy maneuvering.  It was either his first or second day of work, and I figured that he didn't know the rules about speed limit and staying on the road.  I would never drive straight across a mostly empty lot, especially as people were leaving work for the day, but I realize that could be personal preference. 

2) Tonight's incident had me legitimately worried he'd rear-end me.  He was close behind me leaving the parking lot, and when I had room to turn onto the highway, he followed immediately behind me, so close I couldn't even see his headlights.  I always thought it was safe and a rule to stop and make sure you actually have the room to pull out.  Then he followed closely behind me until our road merged with another highway.  He stayed very close behind me, and didn't follow the pattern of every other car merging.  Then, he still stayed so close to me that in the rush hour, stop-and-go traffic, I thought he would hit me a couple times.  Nothing happened though, and he found room to change lanes and drive away. 

I'm not sure what, if anything, I should do.  I barely know him, we have little to no direct contact at work, and I'm not his boss.  I thought about saying, "I was in front of you on the drive home the other night, and I was uncomfortable with how close to me you were."  Is that my place to say anything, when he doesn't even know my name yet? 

Or should I go to his boss, summarize how I felt, and see what happens?  The guy is young, early 20s, has an older model sports car roadster, and his main job is to test drive client's luxury sports cars.  Even the most cautious drivers have accidents, and his 'style' could be bad for our company.  What should I do?

Outdoor Girl

Re: Report bad driver to the boss?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
Clients' luxury sports cars?  That your company would be responsible for repairing if there is damage?

Yeah I'd report the two incidents to his boss.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

MrTango

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:30:09 PM »
I'd absolutely report his behavior to the boss.  In reporting him, you'd be protecting your employer's bottom line.

mimi_cat

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »
I definitely agree it should be reported, but I would suggest reporting it to your boss, and letting he/she handle it from there.

gramma dishes

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:37:57 PM »
I definitely agree it should be reported, but I would suggest reporting it to your boss, and letting he/she handle it from there.
Ditto.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:22:59 PM »
I'd report it even if his job didn't involve driving. Since it does, he's a major risk for the company.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

ezbliss

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 09:40:15 PM »
Report it to your boss.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 09:44:26 PM »
Where's the smiley face waving little red flags when you need it?

This guy is going to cause an accident with his driving - I'm actually a bit surprised that he doesn't have a few on his record already, given the driving records of the people I know who drive like that.

I add my voice to "Tell your boss, and tell your boss now."

Deetee

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 10:27:21 PM »
There is this stigma against "tattling". That stigma should be limited to only matters that are unrelated to the job. So you wouldn't tell his boss if you saw the driver cheating on his wife or being rude to a waiter or wearing plaid and stripes. You do tell the boss when he is driving dangerously on company time and he is a driver.

Give us a tricky one like driving dangerously on the weekend in his own vehicle or drinking to blackout and fights every night and we can have a debate. This one is a no brainer.

cicero

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 01:27:45 AM »
I'd report it even if his job didn't involve driving. Since it does, he's a major risk for the company.
me too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Raintree

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 01:44:51 AM »
Tell the boss, or if you don't tell the boss, tell him. "Look, this is twice now. What's with the tailgating me out of the parking lot and onto the highway? It's dangerous and please stop it already."

Though he'll probably come out with some line about being an above-average driver with fast reflexes. People who drive like this usually do seem to think they are really good drivers.

Syfygeek

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 07:08:39 AM »
Tell the boss, or if you don't tell the boss, tell him. "Look, this is twice now. What's with the tailgating me out of the parking lot and onto the highway? It's dangerous and please stop it already."

Though he'll probably come out with some line about being an above-average driver with fast reflexes. People who drive like this usually do seem to think they are really good drivers.

This, so much this. My DS, at the ripe old age of 26 wound up in a defensive driving class in order to get some points off his license. He was really surprised to find out he was an offensive driver, not the defensive driver he thought he was. 

And yeah, I'd report him. Maybe his supervisor could arrange to be in the parking lot to see the parking lot race.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 07:44:37 AM »
I completely agree-report him. And I would say something to him about the tailgating directly. That directly affects your safety and you shouldn't be shy about telling him to never do that again to you (or anyone else, really). When he argues that he wasn't tailgating or that he was in perfect control of his vehicle (which he will!) I would be very firm and tell him that regardless, he is not to follow you as closely again.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

bopper

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 08:23:44 AM »
"I am not sure if newby was in a special hurry yesterday or what, but as someone who will be driving for our company I saw two incidents yesterday that made me want to alert you so you can take steps before something happens. ..."

Deetee

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 08:27:01 AM »
"I am not sure if newby was in a special hurry yesterday or what, but as someone who will be driving for our company I saw two incidents yesterday that made me want to alert you so you can take steps before something happens. ..."

I wouldn't start by making excuses for him. Just say what you saw.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't get fired on the basis of one person's feedback, but the bosses deserve to know how this guy drives.