News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 07:12:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How would you have responded?  (Read 14508 times)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Re: How would you have responded?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »
I can only think it HAS to be a really really stupid joke.

I assume Mum asked Mark if the vase was there when she realised she'd misplaced it.  He either lied, or at the time he was asked didn't realise he did indeed have it, and then chose not to tell her when he realised he did.

He knew Mum would recognise the vase. He gave the vase to her in front of the original giftees.  He knew they would recognise the vase.

At best, he forgot to buy mum a gift cause he's a flake, remembered that he'd never returned the vase (whether intentionally or due to flakiness) and figured 2 birds, 1 stone, and it'll be funny.

The only part that doesn't seem to fit is that he didn't seem to act like it was a joke.  If he's really a flake he's probably aware of it, and should have played up to his repuation.

Cause the only other explanation I can think of is that he's a jerk.

I do think he's probably a jerk, but I also have known flakes so severe that the bolded assumptions would be giving them way, way too much credit.
Don't underestimate the depth of true flakiness.

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2015, 06:38:55 PM »
Hah, here's an example:

When I was a teenager, I gave my friend a gorgeous framed horse photo for her birthday.  We'd originally become friends through the stable we both rode at, and the photos were on sale at a store so I was excited it was within my budget and I knew she would love it.  I was very proud of finding this awesome gift.

A few months later, I was at her house and saw the photo up on the wall, and said "Oh wow, you have one of those great horse photos!  Did you get it on sale at X store?"

She said no, she got it when I gave it to her for her birthday.

Whoops.

I'm actually normally a pretty reliable person -- I've never flaked on a project and I don't show up late for plans.  But there's a mental block about gifts.  I'm constantly worried I'm giving someone the same thing I did last year, or giving them something they've told me they hate...  :) 

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2015, 01:08:12 AM »
Alternately, the vase was "lost" when someone broke it (an occasion where I can see Mother getting a bit shifty in the answer, particularly if Mum didn't want to cause an arguement between the siblings "why did you break Mum's new vase, you nasty so-and-so?"), and Mum's gift was the gift of a brand new replacement.

jaxsue

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2015, 11:51:31 AM »
I'm sorry but I don't understand how someone is given a gift like that and doesn't make every effort to try to find it. And if you dont make that effort, why should I waste time, effort and money buying a gift like that again?

ITA

LifeOnPluto

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »
The most charitable explanation is that Mark geniunely forgot who left behind the vase, and thought it would make a great re-gift for his mum. If he really is a complete flake, I can see that happening.

A less charitable explanation is that Mark knew it was his Mum's vase, but was hoping that HER flakiness would result in her not recognising it as her own. Maybe he was hoping to pass it off as a very similar looking vase, to "replace" the one that she "lost"?

An even less charitable explanation (and I'm hoping this is not the case) is that Mark figured his mum would probably recognise her vase, but was hoping that she'd be so overjoyed to have it back that she wouldn't care that he didn't gift her anything else. Ie, Mark gets all the credit for being the one to "find" mum's vase, etc.

Surianne

• Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2015, 09:08:53 PM »
Or, he was just kidding around.