News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 03:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need Advice! Make up artist etiquette  (Read 6305 times)

LonniesMom

Need Advice! Make up artist etiquette
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:14:14 PM »
BG: I am having an out of state wedding in June and am traveling to the wedding state next month to finalize the preparations. This includes my hair and make up trial, which will be at the wedding venue's spa.

I am starting to get nervous, because IF I do not like how the make up turns out, it would be nearly impossible to coordinate with a different make up artist in that location, as I am only going to be there one day after the trial. I will not be back to the wedding state until the wedding. Therefore I would have to: A. bring someone with me (would include travel, hotel, compensation) or B. do it myself. Neither choice is ideal.

In order to ensure that this doesn't happen, I want to write to the spa coordinator and ask for an example of the make up artist's work so that I can try to determine if it would be a good fit or not. If it isn't, maybe I can schedule a trial with someone else.

Here is my draft:

Dear SpaCoordinator,

I hope this e-mail finds you well. I am looking forward to my bridal hair and makeup trial scheduled in February! In preparation for this I have a few questions:

Will the make up artist from my trial be the same individual who will be working with me on the day of my wedding? And, do you have any examples of the make up artist's recent work?

Thank you so much!

LonniesMom   

-----------------------------------------------
Note* I have only spoken about the make up because I am extremely particular about it. I don't care as much about the hair, and would like a very simple hairstyle, so I don't anticipate that being an issue.  My make up, on the other hand, is very important to me.

Any suggestions on the situation, and the e-mail?

Thanks!

PastryGoddess

Re: Need Advice! Make up artist etiquette
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 09:22:07 PM »
The whole point of the hair and makeup trial is to work the kinks out of any issues.  So if your makeup artist doesn't do the makeup the way you want it, you have to let them know so they can fix it then and there.  You may go through several different looks before you find the one you like the most. 

Also make sure that they are writing down the colors they used on you, and give you a copy.

Promise

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 09:24:34 PM »
You should ask if it will be the same artist. Also, with your trial, have her give you a map of her work. A map is a face on paper with the placement of the color on the face and the names of the colors. There is no way either of you would remember without it. Also, don't despair if you have to do it. Here is one of the best makeup artists who you can follow on youtube and practice. https://www.youtube.com/user/gossmakeupartist
You've got lots of time. Honestly, it's not that hard.

I was a makeup artist for years for Dior. The biggest thing is not to overdo the color. Keep the eyes neutral but with more mascara and liner. Too many people put on too much color and end up looking really unnatural. If you don't wear much normally, you need foundation, powder, blush, neutral eyes with liner on top and mascara and lipstick and gloss. Don't fuss with contouring. I recommend that you take photos of the makeup in different light both indoor and outdoor to see if it's too shiny or white. Some foundations illuminate and make your face whiter than what it truly is because it has illuminators/highlighters in it. Flash bounces off of it. So take flash photos in your trial.

I am sure you will be beautiful.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:47:09 PM by Promise »

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 10:24:19 PM »
You should ask if it will be the same artist. Also, with your trial, have her give you a map of her work. A map is a face on paper with the placement of the color on the face and the names of the colors. There is no way either of you would remember without it. Also, don't despair if you have to do it. Here is one of the best makeup artists who you can follow on youtube and practice. https://www.youtube.com/user/gossmakeupartist
You've got lots of time. Honestly, it's not that hard.

I was a makeup artist for years for Dior. The biggest thing is not to overdo the color. Keep the eyes neutral but with more mascara and liner. Too many people put on too much color and end up looking really unnatural. If you don't wear much normally, you need foundation, powder, blush, neutral eyes with liner on top and mascara and lipstick and gloss. Don't fuss with contouring. I recommend that you take photos of the makeup in different light both indoor and outdoor to see if it's too shiny or white. Some foundations illuminate and make your face whiter than what it truly is because it has illuminators/highlighters in it. Flash bounces off of it. So take flash photos in your trial.

I am sure you will be beautiful.

lol I was about to post the same. I love The Goss Man :D

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 11:37:18 PM »
I have worked with a few makeup artists and most have a pretty diverse portfolio.I don't see anything wrong with asking to see it ahead of time. I have had clients ask to see my portfolio before a big event and its never bothered me. That being said I also love Goss, since watching his stuff I've been able to do lots of cool stuff when applying my own makeup.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 02:19:32 AM »
Definitely ask to see the portfolio of the makeup artist.  If they're a professional, they will have one, and will not be ashamed to show you.  I don't see why they would have you do a trial with a different makeup artist than the one that will be making  you up on the big day - that kind of defeats the purpose!

purple

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »
I think it's reasonable to confirm that the artist who does the trial will also be the one who does your face on the day - but I cannot see how any professional spa would give you two different artists like that - I've never heard of that happening.

Just make sure you have a clear picture of the kind of look you want (natural, heavy eyes, red lips, etc) and the kinds of colours you like (pinks, blues, nudes, etc) and let her do her stuff.  I'm sure it will be fine.  Relax!! I promise you, in the scheme of things, that if your eye-lids are two shades too dark it won't matter  :).

MurPl1

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 08:57:30 PM »
Also, keep in mind that your look needs to be appropriate both up close and from a bit of a distance.  You're actually "on stage" to some degree and you want a look that is balanced - so you're not just a set of red lips on a blank face for the folks in the middle of the room.  But you also don't want to be so overdone up close that hubby goes "hmm" ;)

I'd check your look from a few distances from the mirror and maybe have some photos taken at different distances just to get an idea if you're comfortable with the look overall.

Arila

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »
Coming from someone who doesn't wear make up ever (except that one time...at my wedding...)

Have you considered going to some local makeup counters and trying out a few looks locally, and then getting some pictures/notes from that? Then you have a specific example of what you want that you and the artist can practice creating during your mockup.

Also, is it a "done" thing to bring your own cosmetics? I had my cousin do my makeup, and we used a mix of things that she brought and things that she helped me to purchase new.

If you're not bringing your own cosmetics, maybe see if you can go to a local counter that uses the same products as the spa, so at least the color names etc will make sense.

LonniesMom

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 10:09:19 AM »
Thank you everyone for the replies!

The whole point of the hair and makeup trial is to work the kinks out of any issues.  So if your makeup artist doesn't do the makeup the way you want it, you have to let them know so they can fix it then and there.  You may go through several different looks before you find the one you like the most. 

I am hoping that this is the way it works out! I will see soon!

I can do make- up pretty well, and am really particular about my highlight/contour. I am thinking that maybe if they aren't well trained in that area I can ask them to just do my eyes, and I can do the rest.

I sent my email to the spa coordinator on Monday and she hasn't gotten back yet :-\