News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 05:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I think I'm bean dipping correctly  (Read 3221 times)

Idlewildstudios

I think I'm bean dipping correctly
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
Long history with my IL's and nieces.  We saw them all on Christmas Day and MIL left right after to spend 10 days in Warmer State with her daughter.  She had a really great time and de-stressed quite a bit.  We had her and FIL over for dinner the other weekend and had a nice time visiting.

Before they left I mention that my DD had a swim meet the following Sat.  I gave the time and place, as always.  MIL made a point of saying they hadn't seen DD swim in quite a while (true) and they would like to try and make it.  Cool.

Swim meet comes and.... No IL's.  Which is par for the course.  We have given up expecting them to actually show. MIL calls later that evening.  Wanting to know all about how the meet went.  Would have loved to have seen DD swim *but* they took nieces for the weekend instead.

I will admit my blood pressure spiked for a moment, then I calmly just ignored her last statement and asked her instead about did she have a good day. (Bean dip 1).

Yes, they had a good day.  Went sledding.  But the hill was really icy and rough.  And there was some sort of bump at the end of the hill that made it a bit unsafe.  So MIL and youngest niece didn't sled.  But 5 year old niece did.  And MIL told her that hitting the bump wasn't safe.  But...being 5, she did it any way.  And crashed and scraped her face.  And MIL was exasperated about it.  About how she took them to an icy and mildly treacherous hill and then was amazed the defiant 5 y.o. ignored  her and got hurt.

I just ignored the indignation and asked about her plans for spring break.  (Bean dip 2).

Bean dipping is new for me, but MIL seemed to go with it and I didn't have to listen her usual lengthy rant about the nieces and their mother and BIL and yadda, yadda, yawn.

I think I did okay.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:57:29 AM by Idlewildstudios »

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
Re: I think I'm bean dipping correctly
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:57:06 PM »
It sounds to me like you did a great job of bean dipping!  You did not feed the drama.....  Win!
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

NFPwife

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 09:54:41 PM »
Three cheers for you! Well done!

Little Jo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 02:17:17 PM »
Well done. I am still in E school myself but sounds like that went brilliantly.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 04:15:15 PM »
Sounds like it worked, so that means that you did it correctly.  End bean dip, "Oh, I'm sorry! I've got to run; my head just exploded!  Talk soon!  Byeee!"