Author Topic: Need a snack recipe for school sales...  (Read 783 times)

crazyone

Need a snack recipe for school sales...
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »
Hi to Everyone!

My DD's class is doing a 'mini-economy' segment where they all make some small snack to 'sell' to the younger classes.  The younger classes are given play money and the opportunity to 'shop' the 4th grade classes for their daily snack on this day.  The 4th graders need to come up with a snack to sell the 1 through 3rd grade classes that is somewhat healthy, not expensive to make (the supplies come out of the families $$) and appeals to kids.  Any ideas?  It has to be reasonably portable to lug to school. I would appreciate any ideas!

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Need a snack recipe for school sales...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 12:08:57 PM »
I love this granola bar recipe. it tastes very much like the nature valley ones and also they are very versatile - you can add or substract stuff as you want. i also put in much less sugar than it calls for, but don't skimp on the honey cause that's what holds it together.

Granola bars from allrecipe.com http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Granola-Bars-III/Detail.aspx
    INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups quick cooking oats
    * 1 cup all-purpose flour
    * 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    * 3/4 cup raisins
    * 1/2 cup wheat germ
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1/2 cup chopped English walnuts
    * 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    * 1/2 cup honey
    * 1 egg
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper, and spray with vegetable oil spray.
   2. In a large bowl, stir together oats, flour, brown sugar, raisins, wheat germ, salt, cinnamon, and walnuts. In a smaller bowl, thoroughly blend oil, honey, egg, and vanilla; pour into the flour mixture, and mix by hand until the liquid is evenly distributed. Press evenly into the prepared baking pan.
   3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are golden. Cool completely in pan before turning out onto a cutting board and cutting into bars

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »
How much "cooking" is required?

I am guessing fresh fruit might be out, but it's a great snack :-)

For portable snacks I pack my own trail mix - with almonds, cashews, slivers of dried coconut and chocolate chips, or almonds, granola, and dried cranberries.  Any mix of nuts and dried fruit will do.

What about cut up veggies with some homemade hummus (buzz together garlic, salt, tahini paste - can sub a nut butter, chick peas and lemon juice) - I pack this in two gladware containers - a small dip one and a larger one for the veggies.

Ants on a log - celery, nut butter, and raisins - is good.

crazyone

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 01:54:12 PM »
Thanks for the ideas!  I will run these past DD as it will be her decision, with the teacher's okay.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 04:39:25 AM »

If you can get the ingredients at a bakery supply store (i.e. cheaper) you can get nuts and dried fruit (I use walnuts, peanuts, almonds, cashews, raisins and dried cranberries).  Then melt some baking chocolate with a bit of butter, and toss that with the nuts and fruit.  Spread it on baking trays, chill and slice into irregularly shaped chunks.