Author Topic: I've been dying to tell people...  (Read 4943 times)

vTenebrae

• I stand in the timeless void, my heart burning with the immortal fire.
  • There is no part of me that is not of the Divine.
I've been dying to tell people...
« on: January 09, 2007, 02:03:10 AM »
I'm in the military and at the time of the following tale, I was stationed in California.  This occurred shortly after we went into Iraq and anti-military sentiment was rather high, where I was stationed.  This makes what happened doubly poignant for those of us who were involved.

A group of us had been in training all morning and decided to stop off for lunch before we went home for the day.  There were about 9 of us present, in our BDUs, enjoying a decent lunch.  The check is delivered to our table and we're all starting to break out our wallets to pay off the tab.  Next thing you know, a woman walks by grabs our check, looks at all of us, and says "Thank you all, so much for what you do.  This is the least I can do in return."  We were flabbergasted and insisted that wasn't necessary, we do it because it's an honor to serve, we want to do this, etc.  She just smiled and went to pay our bill.  9 sailors after a day of training consume a lot of food.

Considering all we'd been exposed to lately, middle fingers, yelling, etc.. this was a gesture that blew us all away. So we figured out what we could do for her.  She'd gone into the ladies room or to collect her belongings, we're not sure what.  So we all stood outside, in a line, and waited for her to exit.  As soon as she did, we all popped tall with our best salutes.  Her smile made our week.

It's been about 3 years and I can still remember her face.  She really didn't have to do that.  I will say this though, people like her remind me that people do care. :)

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
Re: I've been dying to tell people...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 02:07:57 AM »
That story just brought a tear to my eye. I am a huge supporter of the military (but not this particular war, people who can't tell the difference are idiots), but I think what the troops do and even the officers do, need to be respected in a way that you should never have to pay for your own lunch.

Quesselin

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 04:27:27 AM »
I'm also in the "support the troops, but not the war"-camp, and that's a great story. How nice of her to do that for you guys during a tough time.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 05:06:12 AM »
This occurred shortly after we went into Iraq and anti-military sentiment was rather high, where I was stationed.

Considering all we'd been exposed to lately, middle fingers, yelling, etc.. this was a gesture that blew us all away.

I'm truly sorry that you all were treated this way--I thought one of the lessons we learned from Vietnam was how wrong it was to blame the troops for unpopular administrative decisions.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:22:01 AM »
What an awesome story to start the day with.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:36:29 AM »
This occurred shortly after we went into Iraq and anti-military sentiment was rather high, where I was stationed.

Considering all we'd been exposed to lately, middle fingers, yelling, etc.. this was a gesture that blew us all away.

I'm truly sorry that you all were treated this way--I thought one of the lessons we learned from Vietnam was how wrong it was to blame the troops for unpopular administrative decisions.

I completely agree.

I'm also in the "support the troops, but not the war"-camp

Me too. And vTenebrae, that was a lovely gesture you all made for her; she'll never forget that.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 07:14:27 AM by WolfieSara »

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 09:39:35 AM »
What a great response!  I'm sure you made her day just as much as she made yours.

Really, what a great response.

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 06:44:54 PM »
I'm in the military and at the time of the following tale, I was stationed in California.  This occurred shortly after we went into Iraq and anti-military sentiment was rather high, where I was stationed.  This makes what happened doubly poignant for those of us who were involved.

A group of us had been in training all morning and decided to stop off for lunch before we went home for the day.  There were about 9 of us present, in our BDUs, enjoying a decent lunch.  The check is delivered to our table and we're all starting to break out our wallets to pay off the tab.  Next thing you know, a woman walks by grabs our check, looks at all of us, and says "Thank you all, so much for what you do.  This is the least I can do in return."  We were flabbergasted and insisted that wasn't necessary, we do it because it's an honor to serve, we want to do this, etc.  She just smiled and went to pay our bill.  9 sailors after a day of training consume a lot of food.

Considering all we'd been exposed to lately, middle fingers, yelling, etc.. this was a gesture that blew us all away. So we figured out what we could do for her.  She'd gone into the ladies room or to collect her belongings, we're not sure what.  So we all stood outside, in a line, and waited for her to exit.  As soon as she did, we all popped tall with our best salutes.  Her smile made our week.

It's been about 3 years and I can still remember her face.  She really didn't have to do that.  I will say this though, people like her remind me that people do care. :)

Okay, there isn't much here that can make me cry...but you just did.  What a wonderful story!  It was lovely of the woman to pick up your tab...but the way you guys "repaid" her?  Absolutely priceless! 

Thank you for not only your service, but for also making my day!

vTenebrae

• I stand in the timeless void, my heart burning with the immortal fire.
  • There is no part of me that is not of the Divine.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 11:32:25 AM »
We figured "thank you" wasn't enough, so we rendered honours.  She deserved it, that was a really, amazingly kind thing of her to do.

Really, it is an honour to serve. /salute

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 12:11:57 PM »
We figured "thank you" wasn't enough, so we rendered honours.  She deserved it, that was a really, amazingly kind thing of her to do.

Really, it is an honour to serve. /salute

Just the picture I have of that in my mind's eye, is absolutely beautiful!  What a special moment...all around!

pryncsskittyn

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 08:18:27 PM »
Fantastic, I love seeing people respect the military, especially with the way people have been treating them lately.
My sister's boyfriend is in Iraq (has been for a year now).  is own family disrespects him because they don't support the war, I can't understand how people can reason that one out.  I send the whole troop cookies regularly :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 08:42:01 PM »
I send the whole troop cookies regularly :)

The next time you do that, would you do me a favor?  Put a note with it that says that I'm thinking and praying for them as well.  Tell them that there are a whole lot of us out here who would do anything for them, as they are doing so much for us.  I admire and respect our military so much, and I wish there were a way to let them know that there are some idiots out there who treat them badly.  But, the majority of us love them and just want them to be safe.

pryncsskittyn

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 09:05:49 PM »
I'll make sure to put a note in there!  The troops love getting just about anything from the states, and just knowing that people support them makes their days a little easier!  Often they hear a lot about people who DON'T support them.  My sister had her whole 3rd grade class create cards, then she gathered all the addresses she could and sent the "thank you" cards all over the globe to different troops... she still recieves pictures and cards from the troops, thanking her and her kids for their continued support.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 11:42:40 PM »
That is one of the coolest stories I've ever heard. :)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 08:25:48 PM »
I am so going to do that next time I see some servicemen/women when I go out to eat.  I just hope I don't make a fool of myself.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.