News:

• April 19, 2018, 12:06:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thank you note received, but no gift given!  (Read 6022 times)

m2kbug

Re: Thank you note received, but no gift given!
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 08:42:27 AM »
You kind of wonder how you got mixed up in this, and being assumed you were part of a group gift is one of the ways it would make sense.   It could also be that the group gave you (and others) credit because it was a group thing by signing "the book club."  I doubt anyone will think you're taking credit because you got a card in the mail.  It would be different if you were openly talking about the deck furniture "you gave" to other people, including the recipients and the ones that did contribute.  That's where "taking credit" comes in.

I do agree with you that if it does come up, your plan of action is fine.  I wouldn't want them, or anyone, to continue to think wrongly, particularly if it keeps coming up in a gushing fashion.  I think at this point, who gave what was probably a little messy, and something got misdirected and nothing is being discussed.  Thank-you's went out and that's probably the end of it.  If the recipients catch on that you didn't contribute, they'll probably be really embarrassed and probably won't bring it up again.  They might also be really embarrassed to find out they thanked you for a gift you didn't give to a party you weren't invited to...and now you know you weren't invited to a party.  There is a lot of awkwardness that I think is worth sweeping under the rug, probably on both ends.  If they do realize their error and bring it up, you can tell them no hard feelings.  It was fun to get something in the mail that wasn't a bill, and you figured it was a mistake, and not to worry about it. :)  You can further explain that it just seemed to awkward to try to correct, and you honestly weren't sure if your "club" or "acquaintance" signed your name, and you didn't feel that it would be appropriate to correct this, if someone had decided to include you in this gift for whatever reason.