News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 08:22:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you run an orphanage?  (Read 31433 times)

whatsanenigma

Re: Do you run an orphanage?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 03:18:18 PM »
"Do you run an orphanage"? That is such a strange question.  Sure, people make rude assumptions all the time, which they should not, but why would the idea of an orphanage occur to someone, and even if you do run an orphanage (do those even exist any more?) how is this a bad thing?

ezbliss

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 03:32:52 PM »
even if you do run an orphanage (do those even exist any more?)

That's a good question.  I haven't heard the term "orphanage" or "children's home" in decades. 

Mergatroyd

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 04:08:13 PM »

That's a good question.  I haven't heard the term "orphanage" or "children's home" in decades.

That was my first thought too.. I know in Russia they do, but I don't think I have heard of one in my country for years...

sammycat

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 05:59:24 PM »
And someone had made a snarky comment along the lines of, "Do you *really* need all that junk food?"

:o  :o How rude!

I am always amazed at the amount of time people spend looking at and judging other people. When I shop, I want to get in, get my stuff and get out. Casting value judgements on the other shoppers doesn't enter my mind.

POD!

"Do you run an orphanage"? That is such a strange question.  Sure, people make rude assumptions all the time, which they should not, but why would the idea of an orphanage occur to someone, and even if you do run an orphanage (do those even exist any more?) how is this a bad thing?

That was the first thing that entered my head when I saw the thread title, and would probably be the last thing I'd think of if I bothered to check out the contents of someone else's shopping trolley.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 07:06:02 PM »
A woman looked at my cart and snarked "I just hope you plan to use all that food.  Otherwise you're wasteful.".   ::)

"It'll get used, no worry. I'm a prop master for a p_rn movie. Have you ever seen the Naughty Bake Shop Girls movies, by any chance ?"

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »
I can't begin to explain what was going on in that particular person's head at that time (such as why she felt compelled to comment at all!), but I would 100%, no question, hear that as a joke, no matter how it was intended.

I get asked all the time if I like a product or if I'm trying it for the first time, or what I'm using it for, or even what it is, usually by clerks. I'm happy to respond. My usual store goes through clerks like they're going out of style, and so they almost never know the produce codes for 'odd' vegetables.

However, if faced with the question in the OP, all I can think of doing is laughing. I'm not usually quick enough to respond to people's terrible jokes with one of my own.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »
I don't even need to be buying food, just existing in public with my kids, and people will stare at the crowd of them in shock, then ask me, "Are they *all* yours?" or "Do you run a daycare?"  I haven't gotten the orphanage one yet, although I might if the kids keep singing songs from "Annie," especially "It's a Hard-Knock Life."  Conversely, nobody's ever commented on my very full cart at the grocery store or warehouse club.  But then, I've only bought 3 gallons of milk at a time, not 14, and we have our own chickens and so don't need eggs.  :)
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

NFPwife

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 08:28:50 PM »

She didn't say it like it was a bad thing. She said it in a warm way, like I was the sweetest person on Earth. She had concocted some story about me in her head that I shattered when I said they were for my husband.

I cannot believe the thing that you all have had said to you! Wow. People can be so rude and presumptuous.

My FIL had an experience at the grocery store when eggs were on sale for $1 a dozen with a limit of 10 (I think.) He was buying eggs for us, their house, and two elderly relatives. A lady stopped him and just had to know why he was buying all the eggs. So he explains that they're for four households. Adds something about the aunties baking for the church bake sale and she walked off shaking her head. In the parking lot, he was loading the car and she drove behind him and yelled out her window, "That's an awful lot of cholesterol!" He couldn't believe it. He really did not like being called out in the parking lot like that.

Now he has started making funny off the cuff comments whenever someone says anything about the cart. They aren't exactly eHell approved, but they are funny. His theory is "ask a crazy question get an even crazier answer." Like someone wanted to know why he was buying a lot of bananas and he said, "Well, to tell you the truth, Ma'am, I have a bunch of monkeys and they like their bananas." She said, "Really?" And he said, "Yep. I've gotten 'em all named," and started rattling off names for his fictional monkeys. We live in a small town and DH and I were saying "You can't do that! People are going to think you're crazy!" His response? "People stay away from the crazy guy." The poor man just wants to buy groceries in peace.

NFPwife

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 08:32:25 PM »
I don't even need to be buying food, just existing in public with my kids, and people will stare at the crowd of them in shock, then ask me, "Are they *all* yours?" or "Do you run a daycare?"  I haven't gotten the orphanage one yet, although I might if the kids keep singing songs from "Annie," especially "It's a Hard-Knock Life."  Conversely, nobody's ever commented on my very full cart at the grocery store or warehouse club.  But then, I've only bought 3 gallons of milk at a time, not 14, and we have our own chickens and so don't need eggs.  :)

We have several friends with large families and when someone asks if they are all theirs one husband looks and the brood and says, "Crap! Where'd that one come from?!" Other friends have T-shirts with answers to all the "standard" questions and they wear them to amusement parks.

On the eggs - I said to my DH that we should get a couple chickens and he said, "How would that help? They'd only last a week." I was laughing and yelling "For eggs! You're not eating the chickens!"

MurPl1

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 10:38:32 PM »

She didn't say it like it was a bad thing. She said it in a warm way, like I was the sweetest person on Earth. She had concocted some story about me in her head that I shattered when I said they were for my husband.

I cannot believe the thing that you all have had said to you! Wow. People can be so rude and presumptuous.

My FIL had an experience at the grocery store when eggs were on sale for $1 a dozen with a limit of 10 (I think.) He was buying eggs for us, their house, and two elderly relatives. A lady stopped him and just had to know why he was buying all the eggs. So he explains that they're for four households. Adds something about the aunties baking for the church bake sale and she walked off shaking her head. In the parking lot, he was loading the car and she drove behind him and yelled out her window, "That's an awful lot of cholesterol!" He couldn't believe it. He really did not like being called out in the parking lot like that.

Now he has started making funny off the cuff comments whenever someone says anything about the cart. They aren't exactly eHell approved, but they are funny. His theory is "ask a crazy question get an even crazier answer." Like someone wanted to know why he was buying a lot of bananas and he said, "Well, to tell you the truth, Ma'am, I have a bunch of monkeys and they like their bananas." She said, "Really?" And he said, "Yep. I've gotten 'em all named," and started rattling off names for his fictional monkeys. We live in a small town and DH and I were saying "You can't do that! People are going to think you're crazy!" His response? "People stay away from the crazy guy." The poor man just wants to buy groceries in peace.

I'm cracking up that her concern was all about your FIL's cholesterol level.  :)

On a side note we do have an orphanage here in town.  It's the Buckner's Children's Home, but waaaay back when DH was a kiddo it was referred to as the Buckner Babies Home.  (although I suspect far more than just babies).  So I've referred to it that way for almost 20 years after picking it up from him.  But then I worked with a lady who'd adopted from there and she called it the Buckner Babies Home! :)

z_squared82

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »

There's an orphanage in my neck of the woods. It's actually called a children's home and it's run by the archdiocese. But people still call it the orphanage b/c it's on Orphanage Road.

Thipu1

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »
Orphanages still do exist in the USA.  I believe the St. Vincent De Paul Society operates a children's home in Brooklyn. Of course, these aren't anything like a Dickensian orphanage.   

I may be out of date but I believe that the Dr. Bernardo homes still exist in the UK. 

(back to your regularly scheduled thread).

If you're really running an orphanage, I'd imagine that you'd contract with a commercial supplier to provide staples in bulk instead of using a local grocery. 

ezbliss

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:40 AM »
In many of the stories here I donít think the people who made remarks about purchases deserved an answer.

Iím making out a grocery list right now.  If a stranger were to question my purchases or tell me X wasnít good for me, Iíd give them a blank stare and keep walking.  Thereís no reason whatsoever to give them an explanation or to even acknowledge rude, nosey comments and questions - even in a joking way.

Yvaine

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 10:37:28 AM »
I talked in another thread the other day about an ex-friend who became a huge food zealot after losing a bunch of weight. One day she went to the supermarket, and came home and blogged about all the horrible things everyone was buying. All anyone was buying was meat and chips and beer! Decline of Civilization(tm)! Horror!

And then someone pointed out to her that it was Memorial Day weekend, which she had completely forgotten.  ;D

I guess at least she didn't harangue the people actually in the store. At least I hope she didn't.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 12:17:32 PM »

I'm cracking up that her concern was all about your FIL's cholesterol level.  :)

On a side note we do have an orphanage here in town.  It's the Buckner's Children's Home, but waaaay back when DH was a kiddo it was referred to as the Buckner Babies Home.  (although I suspect far more than just babies).  So I've referred to it that way for almost 20 years after picking it up from him.  But then I worked with a lady who'd adopted from there and she called it the Buckner Babies Home! :)

My FIL had do do all the grocery shopping fora few weeks while MIL was on crutches, and apparently it is where middle aged women pick up men.. He had them offer to help bag veggies, follow him around the store, and bump into his cart while giggling. He was kind of shocked!