News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 11:52:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you run an orphanage?  (Read 31409 times)

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: Do you run an orphanage?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 01:31:15 PM »
8 dozen eggs in 3 days for just your husband? I mean, her question was intrusive and weird, but I would be pretty shocked to find out someone ate 32 eggs a day.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »
I agree that the idea of 32 eggs a day would strike me as absurd! But I suppose if you ask, you get the answer you deserve.

wheeitsme

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »
I remember going grocery shopping with my mom at the BX (base exchange - on an Air Force Base).  As soon as we entered the BX, my job was to take an empty cart and go put in 14 half gallons containters of milk (why yes, I had an older brother).  Nobody ever blinked an eye.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 03:50:41 PM »
When I was a cashier the only time I remember commenting on someone's purchases was when a lady came through with a bunch of cat food.  I mentioned that I was looking for a kitten and she told me there was a stray cat hanging around her house I could have.  Long story short, I had that cat for 17 years and she was the absolute love of my soul.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »
8 dozen eggs in 3 days for just your husband? I mean, her question was intrusive and weird, but I would be pretty shocked to find out someone ate 32 eggs a day.

I would *not* want to share a bathroom with that person! 

nuit93

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »
There was one year where the only things I needed from the store were three boxes of cat litter and a few frozen dinners.  The cashier gave me a kind of a sad look and I couldn't figure out why until I got back out to the car.

It was Valentine's Day.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 05:16:13 PM »

Eggs bought "for" a certain person aren't necessarily eaten by that person. I might pick up absurdly large quantities of certain foods, including eggs, "for my roommate." To be more specific, they would be for my roommate's baking endeavors which can consume staggering amounts of eggs, sugar, etc., within a couple of days. Those purchases would be "for my roommate," but almost none of it would be consumed by my roommate. Also, I would consider the eggs to be "gone" once they are baked/cooked/etc. into another food item, even if the product is not eaten yet. Alternatively, the eggs might not be going into food at all--they could be intended for some other purpose (especially in the lead up to Easter).

camlan

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
I remember going grocery shopping with my mom at the BX (base exchange - on an Air Force Base).  As soon as we entered the BX, my job was to take an empty cart and go put in 14 half gallons containters of milk (why yes, I had an older brother).  Nobody ever blinked an eye.

Hey, that sounds familiar. I was questioned about my 14 half-gallons mentioned upthread at the Fort Dix commissary. That place was huge--think it was a former airplane hanger or something.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

NFPwife

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 06:56:02 PM »
I agree that the idea of 32 eggs a day would strike me as absurd! But I suppose if you ask, you get the answer you deserve.

Actually, it's 36 a day. That's why what was in the cart was a bit shy.

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 07:17:23 PM »
8 dozen over three days is 32 a day.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

NFPwife

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »
8 dozen over three days is 32 a day.

What I'm saying is he consumes 36 a day for three days. That's why the cart was shy and I left her standing there surprised while I went back for another 7 dozen box.

AlansGirl

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 08:57:14 AM »
This thread reminds me of my experience with Radish Man.  I was shopping at one of the warehouse stores and got in line to check out.  In front of me was an older gentleman who was buying one thing and one thing only:  radishes.  But he was buying what must have been every single radish in the store - seriously, the belt was completely full of radishes.  Of course I didn't say anything to him but I wondered then, and still wonder, what on earth someone does with that many radishes.  If I saw someone buying copious amounts of fruit, I'd think jam or jelly making, or canning.  But even if you were making crudite platters for 1,000 people, you wouldn't need anywhere near the amount of radishes that he was buying.  (BTW, these were the tiny, round, red radish variety, so he wasn't making horseradish sauce; that's a different radish.)  I guess someone could have a particular fondness for radishes but it seems like so many would go bad before he could consume them, as much as he was buying.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 09:08:36 AM »
This thread reminds me of my experience with Radish Man.  I was shopping at one of the warehouse stores and got in line to check out.  In front of me was an older gentleman who was buying one thing and one thing only:  radishes.  But he was buying what must have been every single radish in the store - seriously, the belt was completely full of radishes.  Of course I didn't say anything to him but I wondered then, and still wonder, what on earth someone does with that many radishes.  If I saw someone buying copious amounts of fruit, I'd think jam or jelly making, or canning.  But even if you were making crudite platters for 1,000 people, you wouldn't need anywhere near the amount of radishes that he was buying.  (BTW, these were the tiny, round, red radish variety, so he wasn't making horseradish sauce; that's a different radish.)  I guess someone could have a particular fondness for radishes but it seems like so many would go bad before he could consume them, as much as he was buying.

Maybe he knew his ex-wife was coming shopping soon and she really needed some radishes?
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Danika

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »

Radishes are one of the most alkaline foods. A pervasive theory is that too much acidity in one's body facilitates cancerous cells. He might just have been diagnosed with something like that and hoped to slow the growth (in lieu of or I'm addition to) more common cancer treatments.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 09:36:47 AM »
I don't even need to be buying food, just existing in public with my kids, and people will stare at the crowd of them in shock, then ask me, "Are they *all* yours?" or "Do you run a daycare?"  I haven't gotten the orphanage one yet, although I might if the kids keep singing songs from "Annie," especially "It's a Hard-Knock Life."  Conversely, nobody's ever commented on my very full cart at the grocery store or warehouse club.  But then, I've only bought 3 gallons of milk at a time, not 14, and we have our own chickens and so don't need eggs.  :)

We have several friends with large families and when someone asks if they are all theirs one husband looks and the brood and says, "Crap! Where'd that one come from?!" Other friends have T-shirts with answers to all the "standard" questions and they wear them to amusement parks.

On the eggs - I said to my DH that we should get a couple chickens and he said, "How would that help? They'd only last a week." I was laughing and yelling "For eggs! You're not eating the chickens!"

There's an old joke about a young hen asking an old hen about her age & being a bit shocked that the "old" hen is three times the age of the younger one.

A comment along the lines of "how did you manage to live so long" is made by the young hen.

The old hen shrugs and says "an egg a day keeps the axe away"...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:38:56 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?