News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 11:53:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you run an orphanage?  (Read 31410 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
Re: Do you run an orphanage?
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2015, 04:13:12 AM »
My favorite yogurt is the 10% milk-fat Cabot plain Greek Yogurt. It is delicious.  ;D

At least once every few weeks I have someone point out to me that I picked up the "wrong one"  to put in my cart.  Because, obviously, I'm a woman and meant to get the low-fat or fat free (revolting stuff)...I couldn't possibly want the super high fat one  ::) They look super confused when I cheerily let them know that I really meant to get the full fat version.

Funny thing is, my DH is the one the prefers the 2% one.  :P

ETA: Popsicles.  Apparently adults cannot purchase popsicles unless they have children. Is this some kind of crazy rule I've never heard of?

I've never liked the low-fat or sugar-free versions of anything, and now that a bunch of my food sensitivities and IBS triggers have been identified it turns out that low-fat and sugar-free (and 'diet', and 'boosted with added fibre' and 'super mega uber healthy eat this or you'll get fat') versions of things are likely to contain stuff that will make me really, really ill... so the high-fat high-sugar versions of foods are usually the healthy ones for me to choose!

(*insert obligatory footnote about how that doesn't mean I can just chow down on chocolate, darn it, and I do try to eat 'healthy' in a more general sense, but anyone who pushes diet foods on me is going to get two polite redirections and then a firm lecture on why they are wrong. >:D)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2015, 05:40:17 AM »
I was in a restaurant once salting my pork chop when a woman at a nearby table said, "Salt is the worst thing for you." I didn't bother telling her that:
1. It was none of her business.
2. I actually had low to good blood pressure, so a little salt wasn't a health issue for me.

The salt chastisers annoy me as well, though not very often. I have very low blood pressure.  If I'm adding salt or eating something salty, I really need it.  Every time I go to the doctor I get told to eat more salt.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Kiwipinball

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2015, 08:07:30 AM »
My favorite yogurt is the 10% milk-fat Cabot plain Greek Yogurt. It is delicious.  ;D

At least once every few weeks I have someone point out to me that I picked up the "wrong one"  to put in my cart.  Because, obviously, I'm a woman and meant to get the low-fat or fat free (revolting stuff)...I couldn't possibly want the super high fat one  ::) They look super confused when I cheerily let them know that I really meant to get the full fat version.

Funny thing is, my DH is the one the prefers the 2% one.  :P

ETA: Popsicles.  Apparently adults cannot purchase popsicles unless they have children. Is this some kind of crazy rule I've never heard of?

I hear you. I hate diet pop (soda) and will only drink it if there's absolutely nothing else to drink (so almost never). But because I'm a woman, I've had people assume I misspoke when I ordered normal pop and give me a diet. Most don't thankfully, but the few times it's happened it's really annoyed me. They've always switched it back for me with no problem,but I am capable of ordering correctly!

Twik

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2015, 08:54:42 AM »
I was in a restaurant once salting my pork chop when a woman at a nearby table said, "Salt is the worst thing for you." I didn't bother telling her that:
2. I actually had low to good blood pressure, so a little salt wasn't a health issue for me.

SnarkyTwik would have answered "Actually, my doctor suggested that I switch to salt from the powdered arsenic I used to use."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

NFPwife

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »

The salt chastisers annoy me as well, though not very often. I have very low blood pressure.  If I'm adding salt or eating something salty, I really need it.  Every time I go to the doctor I get told to eat more salt.

Me too! I've been told, by more than one doc, to eat more salt. People get really vocal and quite judgy about it.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »
I hear you. I hate diet pop (soda) and will only drink it if there's absolutely nothing else to drink (so almost never). But because I'm a woman, I've had people assume I misspoke when I ordered normal pop and give me a diet.

For real?   I can't drink diet pop at all and can definitely tell the difference, both in the taste and the instant headache/nausea it gives me.  I'd be really upset if someone switched it on purpose.

I haven't had anybody comment on or openly judge my grocery-shopping choices.  Maybe I just live in a polite city or something.  I don't even know how I'd react.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2015, 09:19:40 AM »

Last time someone tried to chastise me about salt got told that my blood pressure is anywhere from 100/70 to 110/80.  It doesn't help that I'm overweight but the doc has told me that salt is really good for me.  The funny thing is that I don't like to salt things (supertaster) and this was one of the rare times I needed salt due to the food being bland.

Remembered something about last night - if I drink any milk that's not whole, I'm in for a long reading time in the commode.  I picked up a half gallon of whole milk and was given at least one side glance at my choice.  Really people?  You really should be judging me on the big bag of pizza rolls that's going towards movie night on Saturday.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:22:22 AM by AngelicGamer »

Team HoundMom

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2015, 09:26:34 AM »
I was in a restaurant once salting my pork chop when a woman at a nearby table said, "Salt is the worst thing for you."

"I run marathons.  I NEED salt."  *glare.*

The audacity of some people....

NFPwife

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »
I hear you. I hate diet pop (soda) and will only drink it if there's absolutely nothing else to drink (so almost never). But because I'm a woman, I've had people assume I misspoke when I ordered normal pop and give me a diet.

For real?   I can't drink diet pop at all and can definitely tell the difference, both in the taste and the instant headache/nausea it gives me.  I'd be really upset if someone switched it on purpose.

I haven't had anybody comment on or openly judge my grocery-shopping choices.  Maybe I just live in a polite city or something.  I don't even know how I'd react.

I'm allergic to aspartame, if someone switched me out, it'd be dangerous. When I order something I like to put my own sweetener in. For the longest time, McD's was insisting on adding the sweetener. (Cutting packet theft or waste? idk.) I'd say I preferred to put it in myself, they'd try to insist, and then I'd say, "I'm allergic to aspartame, I'd like yellow packets I can put in myself." With some personnel, I'd still have a little insistence that they would correctly put in splenda (some seemed insulted that I thought they'd make a mistake.) With one I said, "You know you're assuming liability if there's an error and I have a reaction, right?" And then they gave me packets.  ::)

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2015, 10:30:21 AM »

It's happened to me several times. 

Aspartame gives me a headache, and it and other artificial sweeteners just taste yucky to me. 

camlan

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2015, 11:25:39 AM »
I remember going grocery shopping with my mom at the BX (base exchange - on an Air Force Base).  As soon as we entered the BX, my job was to take an empty cart and go put in 14 half gallons containters of milk (why yes, I had an older brother).  Nobody ever blinked an eye.
Just out of curiosity, why 14 half-gallons instead of 7 gallon jugs?  (And I think you mean the commissary.  Commissary sells food, BX sells clothes and housewares and electronics, like Walmart.)

When I was a child and we would go to the PX (Post Exchange) they sold everything out of one warehouse.  That included clothing and food.  Back in the '60s we bought milk in the 1/2 gallon because they did not sell it in gallon jugs.  This was before the dinosaurs roamed the earth and plastic gallon jugs were not yet invented for milk.

LOL.  Yes.  14 half gallon cartons, not jugs.  And since I am old, too, now that I'm really trying to remember, at some bases it was called the BX and at some the commissary.  I think some bases had the one warehouse thing, and some didn't.  I think as a kid it was just easier to always call it the BX no matter which base.  ;)

In agreement here. In the 1960s, the commissaries where we shopped for food only had the half-gallon cartons, not the gallon jugs. When Dad was stationed in South Korea, the commissary didn't even have half-gallon cartons, only quarts. Buying milk once a week for a family of nine pretty much wiped out the milk section every time we shopped. I can remember our first trip to the commissary there--I went off and loaded up the milk and brought my cart back to my mom and she ordered me to go and get half-gallon cartons. When I told her there weren't any, she didn't believe me and had to go check for herself.

They also had limits on how much you could spend per month at the commissary and PX--I think to cut down on black marketeering. They based the amount on for a married couple on two adults and then added more money per child over the age of 12. My family showed up, with six kids under 12 and only one child who was exactly 12. Every single month, Mom would have to go to the office and get an extension of the limit so that we could get enough food to feed the family. (They weren't strict about it or anything--once Mom proved, by showing her passport with the picture of her with all us kids on it) that we really did need to buy more food, they pretty much just rubber-stamped her application every month.)

I only remember separate PX (Post Exchange/Army lingo) and commissaries, but the PXs would often carry some basic food supplies--bread, milk, peanut butter, snacks.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2015, 11:55:37 AM »

I'm allergic to aspartame, if someone switched me out, it'd be dangerous. When I order something I like to put my own sweetener in. For the longest time, McD's was insisting on adding the sweetener. (Cutting packet theft or waste? idk.) I'd say I preferred to put it in myself, they'd try to insist, and then I'd say, "I'm allergic to aspartame, I'd like yellow packets I can put in myself." With some personnel, I'd still have a little insistence that they would correctly put in splenda (some seemed insulted that I thought they'd make a mistake.) With one I said, "You know you're assuming liability if there's an error and I have a reaction, right?" And then they gave me packets.  ::)

Read the packet too.  There is a brand that futz-ed with the standard colors and they put aspartame in yellow packets.  I wouldn't say I;m allergic to aspartame, but it gives me headaches (probably due to extended over-dosing in the past)   So, I was quite peeved when I saw that. 

Back to the original orphanage statement, I don't think it had been an genuine question.  I think it was an insult thinly disguised as a question.  Orphanage is just such an out-there concept.  Plus, if someone were truly shopping for an orphanage they'd likely be in at Costco or Sam's buying the giant container of ketchup. 

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
Back to the original orphanage statement, I don't think it had been an genuine question.  I think it was an insult thinly disguised as a question.  Orphanage is just such an out-there concept.  Plus, if someone were truly shopping for an orphanage they'd likely be in at Costco or Sam's buying the giant container of ketchup.

Or they'd have contracts with wholesalers to get bulk discounts, and they wouldn't be out shopping for it at all. ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

NFPwife

« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »

Or they'd have contracts with wholesalers to get bulk discounts, and they wouldn't be out shopping for it at all. ;D

Interesting concept about it being thinly veiled snark. I didn't think it at the time, but I have a tendency not to look for the meta message and take people at their surface statement.

The group home down the street from me gets food deliveries, maybe I can get in on those for some eggs!

ezbliss

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2015, 04:46:24 PM »
I also think it was a veiled snark.  (It was another way of saying "Wow, you must have a lot of kids/big family" or something along those lines. It's a back-handed way of finding out why someone is buying so many eggs or whatever item(s).  People like NoseyShopper do what lots of people do – they play the percentages.  Most people want to be “nice” and they will respond, explain, answer their questions and otherwise JADE when in fact people like this don’t deserve an answer.  At most I might have smiled and said “Don’t worry about it”, but more than likely just given her a blank look and walked away.

This is different from idle, harmless, polite chitchat with strangers.  Nothing wrong with that; actually I do it frequently.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:27:49 PM by ezbliss »