News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do you run an orphanage?  (Read 31513 times)

Danika

Re: Do you run an orphanage?
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2015, 06:18:58 PM »
I usually don't notice what other people are buying  but today was the first time I've gone to the store since I read this thread. I found myself looking in other people's carts occasionally. And then having a small urge to comment on what they had. I refrained from doing it, of course, but I can't understand why after reading a thread about how rude it is to do that, it tempted me to do it!!! What the heck?

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2015, 10:40:37 PM »
It could have been either - veiled snark / curiosity disguised as an innocent question, or a genuinely innocent question from someone who has no concept of the logistics that would be involved in running an orphanage (or anything else where buying wholesale would make more sense than pushing a cart through your local supermarket). I tend to answer as though it's a genuine question unless the snark is obvious, because why not? :)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Danika

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2015, 11:57:55 PM »
I assumed it was a sarcastic comment. I didn't think the woman who asked about the orphanage actually thought you ran one. I thought she just saw all the eggs and was thinking aloud "wow, that's a ton of eggs" and then said that to you. And then wanted to be funny about it and just tease you or pontificate on why anyone would need that many eggs.

I think it's fantastic that you actually needed more and were not phased by her comment. It's great because your response was so poetic and didn't give her any satisfaction if she was ribbing you to get a response. 

Kiwipinball

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2015, 09:32:17 AM »
I hear you. I hate diet pop (soda) and will only drink it if there's absolutely nothing else to drink (so almost never). But because I'm a woman, I've had people assume I misspoke when I ordered normal pop and give me a diet.

For real?   I can't drink diet pop at all and can definitely tell the difference, both in the taste and the instant headache/nausea it gives me.  I'd be really upset if someone switched it on purpose.

It's happened to me several times. 

Aspartame gives me a headache, and it and other artificial sweeteners just taste yucky to me.

It thankfully hasn't happened very often to me. I'm not allergic, I just think it tastes gross, so that's not a problem for me. I think it might be more that the waiter (and I've never had a waitress do this to me) is expecting to hear diet and so hears it or thinks I forgot to say it or something.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2015, 10:18:28 AM »
I was in a restaurant once salting my pork chop when a woman at a nearby table said, "Salt is the worst thing for you." I didn't bother telling her that:
1. It was none of her business.
2. I actually had low to good blood pressure, so a little salt wasn't a health issue for me.

I get annoyed by people who assume things are either good or bad. I rarely eat salt or many salty foods. If I'm adding salt, it's probably good for me at that point.

I get annoyed when someone's trying to get you to try a new energy drink or vitamin water. They say "It has Vitamin B6 in it. B6 is good for you." It might be for people whose bodies can metabolize man-made vitamins. I have constant pain from permanent nerve damage. It's likely from Vitamin B6 toxicity nearly a decade ago (taking prenatal vitamins). Man-made Vitamin B6 is definitely not good for me. But I don't want to get on a soap box in the middle of the grocery store where they're handing out freebies. So I just say "No thanks" and keep walking.

Yes. Same here to both. I have people critique me for eating meat and eggs (high in cholesterol) and using salt. I have low blood pressure and low cholesterol. It's none of their business.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Kiwipinball

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »
I was in a restaurant once salting my pork chop when a woman at a nearby table said, "Salt is the worst thing for you." I didn't bother telling her that:
2. I actually had low to good blood pressure, so a little salt wasn't a health issue for me.

I get annoyed by people who assume things are either good or bad. I rarely eat salt or many salty foods. If I'm adding salt, it's probably good for me at that point.

I get annoyed when someone's trying to get you to try a new energy drink or vitamin water. They say "It has Vitamin B6 in it. B6 is good for you." It might be for people whose bodies can metabolize man-made vitamins. I have constant pain from permanent nerve damage. It's likely from Vitamin B6 toxicity nearly a decade ago (taking prenatal vitamins). Man-made Vitamin B6 is definitely not good for me. But I don't want to get on a soap box in the middle of the grocery store where they're handing out freebies. So I just say "No thanks" and keep walking.

Yes. Same here to both. I have people critique me for eating meat and eggs (high in cholesterol) and using salt. I have low blood pressure and low cholesterol. It's none of their business.

Well frankly, it's none of most people's business no matter what your blood pressure or cholesterol. Loved ones or doctors may have more of an interest in your (general) health, but they're also probably more likely to know if something is actually unhealthy for a particular person.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »

I was so glad when the vitamin C craze was over. If I take it it blisters the inside of my mouth and sends my skin condition into high drive. People kept telling me that it would fix my "cold" and "cough". The cold was airborn allergies and the cough either was productive so not one you want to stop because it was clearing the gunk from allergies out of my lungs or asthma cough - that one literally* knocked me off my feet. Taking something I'm allergic to wasn't going to help.

*Not misused I would cough so hard I would fall down if I didn't sit. Scared my classmates 1/2 to death one time when a coughing spasm sent me head over tail down concrete stairs in the science building.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2015, 02:11:31 PM »
I usually don't notice what other people are buying  but today was the first time I've gone to the store since I read this thread. I found myself looking in other people's carts occasionally. And then having a small urge to comment on what they had. I refrained from doing it, of course, but I can't understand why after reading a thread about how rude it is to do that, it tempted me to do it!!! What the heck?
Because the thread put the idea into your head. That's why classroom management classes tell teachers to tell the kids what to do not what not to do.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2015, 02:58:24 PM »
I was reminded of this thread today when I was behind a fancily dressed couple who asked all the clerks and cashiers in nearby aisles to guess what their total would be. Apparently, they do it every week.

It seemed like everyone was having fun, but I noticed that all the employees were careful to guess lower than the wife of the couple guessed. It seemed like bad form to guess higher than $350 (end total was $341 and change).  The clerks said it's "all about the meat" and guessing what type and weight their giant packages were this week.

Lynn2000

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »
It could have been either - veiled snark / curiosity disguised as an innocent question, or a genuinely innocent question from someone who has no concept of the logistics that would be involved in running an orphanage (or anything else where buying wholesale would make more sense than pushing a cart through your local supermarket). I tend to answer as though it's a genuine question unless the snark is obvious, because why not? :)

I just now wondered if it was one of those things where she was pretty sure it was not an orphanage, but she asked that in the hopes the OP would correct her with the true answer. Like how people seem very inclined to correct people's false assumptions, to not leave them thinking something inaccurate.

Which to me suggests that for the next time, my answer should be "Yes" then move on. :)
~Lynn2000

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2015, 11:12:40 PM »

I just now wondered if it was one of those things where she was pretty sure it was not an orphanage, but she asked that in the hopes the OP would correct her with the true answer. Like how people seem very inclined to correct people's false assumptions, to not leave them thinking something inaccurate.

Which to me suggests that for the next time, my answer should be "Yes" then move on. :)

That is one of those things I'd love to be able to tell teenage-me.  It really is quite fun.  Just agree with everyone, and watch their heads explode.  There is a corollary for when someone tells you something that is supposed to be disgusting about your food.  Respond with "Really?  So that is why it tastes so wonderful."

Ms Marple

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »
Just before Christmas I was in a store to buy cat food. The store had a special sale of one particular flavour of a quality cat food. A lady was piling up trays and trays of this particular flavour in a large shopping cart. I smiled at her and remarked that her cats must really like it. She then told me that she was a volunteer for a cat shelter and she was stocking up for the cats in the shelter so they would eat something extra nice on Christmas day.

At the check-out, I stood in line behind the lady. When the cashier had added everything up and named the total price, I said 'the cats' Christmas dinner is on me' and paid her bill. The poor lady was totally shocked and said 'this never happened to me before'.  :)

I hope I redeemed myself, but otherwise I will sit still grinning in etiquette hell

Kiwipinball

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2015, 11:07:20 AM »
I don't think it's always rude to comment on something in someone's cart. I can't think of a situation in which it would be okay to criticize something in someone's cart or make snarky or PA comments - but general or positive comments or questions can be okay. Of course, if the other person doesn't want to make conversation, you (general) should always respect that. And there are some items I would never comment on. The woman ahead of me in line once was buying a lot of adult diapers (there was a sale). I would never comment on a purchase like that or anything else that could be perceived as embarrassing or personal.

Adoptstrays

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:10 PM »
Just before Christmas I was in a store to buy cat food. The store had a special sale of one particular flavour of a quality cat food. A lady was piling up trays and trays of this particular flavour in a large shopping cart. I smiled at her and remarked that her cats must really like it. She then told me that she was a volunteer for a cat shelter and she was stocking up for the cats in the shelter so they would eat something extra nice on Christmas day.

At the check-out, I stood in line behind the lady. When the cashier had added everything up and named the total price, I said 'the cats' Christmas dinner is on me' and paid her bill. The poor lady was totally shocked and said 'this never happened to me before'.  :)

I hope I redeemed myself, but otherwise I will sit still grinning in etiquette hell

I loved this, thank you so much for doing that  :)

Moonie

« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
"Do you realize how bad that is for you?"

Snarky me would be tempted to say, "Not as bad for me as commenting on my purchases can be for you."  Or "Do you need help putting your nose back on your face, because it fell off into my business?"

But....that would be rude....so very tempting, but rude.