News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 02:54:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Take to other thread" requests  (Read 12447 times)

squeakers

Re: "Take to other thread" requests
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »
I just saw where a mod deemed "take it to another thread" as basically junior modding and not wanted.  So now I'm confused.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2015, 04:59:25 PM »
Meh, well.

The big thing, really, is don't be annoying. Someone with a track record of bossing other posters around and generally pushing the envelope will get a whole lot less slack from me.  I intervene when I have to, because the issue isn't so much that a rule has been broken but that someone needs their hand slapped.

Yes, moderation should be left to the moderators.  However, to me, there's a huge difference between a poster who's well-regarded and respected giving a polite reminder versus someone the mods get regular complaints about getting all authoritative when they have no right to.  Reputation matters. Track record matters.

squeakers

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2015, 08:32:06 PM »
While I appreciate you throwing yourself upon a sword, Wordgeek, it wasn't you.

The Mod not only castigated the person who had asked folks to move on but then .. asked people to move on.

On the one hand, you have people who post to describe the color of the sun on their flowers daily... and on the other you have people who post a few times but are trolls.

Amount of posts or quality of posts? Do either really count?

You could have people who just joined and speak words of wisdom (from their history) once or 4 times or have people who have posted over and over and over that don't add all that much.

In either case... either we can self-mod with a simple "Can X subject that is only tangentially related to the the thread be posted in a new thread" or everyone should click the "report to mod" link to ask that said getting off topic or has enough life to live as another thread... gets a new thread.

Whether from a new poster or an old poster... someone has to step forward especially when a thread gets hijacked by the 3 big NoNos (sex, religion or politics).

But both asking and reporting is _hard_ to do other than with obvious spam. Cos who wants to be a "Narc"? (Goes back to the old school days of not wanting to be a tattletale).  Older posters prolly feel more comfortable community modding due to have investing years of enjoying the forum than a newer poster... just saying. 
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

FauxFoodist

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2015, 09:46:53 PM »
I haven't gotten the impression that amount of posts matter so much as quality of posts -- meaning does the poster have a tendency to be obnoxious, lecturing, self-righteous, etc.?  I've noticed there are a few posters who've had their hands slapped pretty frequently and am amazed they haven't been banned already.  Those are the posters who, when I see requests to stop talking about this topic or move that topic elsewhere, I think "given even the mods aren't really happy with you, do you really think you should go there?"  And, sure enough, when I've thought that, I've seen a mod step in and reprimand the poster.  I don't usually mind when I see a post asking the thread-drift discussion be started on a new thread or get back to the original thread topic.  It's the reasoning behind the post that makes a difference.  Enough of those posts (plus a complete meltdown in one case), and I think the poster does him/herself in by making any request that seems self-serving.

Lynn2000

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2015, 04:48:24 PM »
Also, I think there are ways to express the redirection/new thread request that come off poorly, like someone shaking a finger at naughty children, and other ways to do it that sound very reasonable and good-natured. Given that people can ponder what they want to say before posting it, I think it's wise to consider how one's words might be interpreted, and alter them accordingly.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think it comes off well when you can say, "Hey, I made a spin-off thread for this discussion! Here it is!" Of course if you really aren't interested in that topic, probably you don't want to start a thread about it. Another method is to simply post something germane to the original thread, perhaps prefacing it with something like, "To get back to the thread topic..." Of course then you have to have something relevant to say.
~Lynn2000

FauxFoodist

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2015, 05:19:28 PM »
Also, I think there are ways to express the redirection/new thread request that come off poorly, like someone shaking a finger at naughty children, and other ways to do it that sound very reasonable and good-natured. Given that people can ponder what they want to say before posting it, I think it's wise to consider how one's words might be interpreted, and alter them accordingly.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think it comes off well when you can say, "Hey, I made a spin-off thread for this discussion! Here it is!" Of course if you really aren't interested in that topic, probably you don't want to start a thread about it. Another method is to simply post something germane to the original thread, perhaps prefacing it with something like, "To get back to the thread topic..." Of course then you have to have something relevant to say.

Pod.  I don't care for the "finger shaking" attitude, the *I*-really-don't-want-to-read-about-this-so-stop-talking-about-it-now request vs. just posting something that brings the thread back on topic or just starting a new thread for the off-topic discussion.  In those cases, given what I've read from those particular posters, I'm not surprised by the attitude (but I do think it's rather SS of them).  I'll admit I've asked that a thread get back on topic when the off-topic discussion gets a little long, but I think the most I've said is "Could we return to the thread topic, please?"

Funny, this reminds me of a few years ago when I first started reading this forum.  There was some thread that went way off-topic with post after post of virtual edible goodies being offered in anticipated fantasy-land of watching the expected drama to take place on the situation the thread was about.  I thought it was kinda crazy as it was a few pages of this tangent.  Then, one day, I went back to read that thread (shortly after this started), and I noticed all of the off-topic posts had vanished.  I've never seen that happen again but have always remembered it.  I think a mod commented on the thread getting way off topic and deleting all of the off-topic ones.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
I have gone back and deleted or heavily modified/edited a few posts that drifted very off-topic.

I have also had someone contact me by private message & chew me out for posting something that they apparently disagreed with.  Sometimes I go back in and re-read, agree that the comment could be phrased better & edit it, or sometimes I just delete it if I posted it less than five minutes earlier...and there were no quotes to confuse future readers.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?