News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 01:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Guests wearing red to a wedding  (Read 44478 times)

metallicafan

Re: Guests wearing red to a wedding
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 12:24:58 PM »
I don't know how to put a link on here, maybe because I'm on a tablet?

My red dress can be seen at Nordstom.com.  Tadashi Shoji  lace sheath dress. 

metallicafan

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »
Yes, that's the one!  Thank you for posting a link.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 12:37:19 PM »
I don't know how to put a link on here, maybe because I'm on a tablet?

My red dress can be seen at Nordstom.com.  Tadashi Shoji  lace sheath dress.

Very pretty and to my mind completely appropriate to a wedding of sufficient dressiness. I would probably wear a wrap or shrug for the ceremony if it were a church wedding, but that's more personal feeling and not at all an etiquette rule.

I just wish I had the figure to wear that dress!

metallicafan

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
Thank you EllenS. 
I don't look like the model does in it, but thanks to weight watchers, I'll pull it off pretty well I think  :D
And control top stockings don't hurt either!  ;D

Mergatroyd

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
It's a beautiful dress!

Thipu1

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »
The dress looks both lovely and comfortable.  Most main stream churches won't object to a sleeveless dress with a modest neckline. The only reason for a wrap would be aggressive air conditioning.   

As I understand it the prohibition against red was, as another poster said, to avoid the impression that the wearer is 'hotter' than the Bride.  These days, no one I know is going  to look twice if a relative or friend wore a dress like the one in the clip to a Wedding.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »
The dress looks both lovely and comfortable.  Most main stream churches won't object to a sleeveless dress with a modest neckline. The only reason for a wrap would be aggressive air conditioning.   

As I understand it the prohibition against red was, as another poster said, to avoid the impression that the wearer is 'hotter' than the Bride.  These days, no one I know is going  to look twice if a relative or friend wore a dress like the one in the clip to a Wedding.

Oh, indeed. I just feel "nakeder" than I used to in a sleeveless dress. Age and pulchritude.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
That dress is lovely and definitely doesn't say anything appropriate to me!

I would probably buy it in black for a wedding, but only because I look better in black than red. I'm envious of people who can pull it off!

Yvaine

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
And we all know from the last few days that dress color can be different from one eye to the next, but that's almost a coral to my eye anyway. I've heard really good things about Tadashi Shoji.

Cherry91

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 12:30:12 PM »
I think red is perfectly fine for a wedding. I certainly hope it is, I'm planning to wear a red dress to my cousin's wedding in the summer. It's admittedly mainly because I fell in love with the dress and bought it and now need places to wear it so it isn't a waste of money, but I would not even dream of wearing it if I didn't think it was appropriate.
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

NestHolder

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 09:24:29 AM »
I'm sure that in the UK it would have been seen as more inappropriate to wear black to a wedding, since black is the colour of mourning and hence not a very nice message to send.  However, I'm not sure that applies these days.  It's been a while since I attended a wedding, but for funerals I've quite often been asked to wear bright, celebratory colours, so the black=mourning connection is less powerful now.

What I think is saddest of all is the shocking lack of elegant hats topping those chic outfits!

LtPowers

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 12:56:18 PM »
I'm sure that in the UK it would have been seen as more inappropriate to wear black to a wedding, since black is the colour of mourning and hence not a very nice message to send.  However, I'm not sure that applies these days.  It's been a while since I attended a wedding, but for funerals I've quite often been asked to wear bright, celebratory colours, so the black=mourning connection is less powerful now.

What I think is saddest of all is the shocking lack of elegant hats topping those chic outfits!

One still must be careful when wearing black to a wedding. Best is to dress it up with something colorful, but at the very least the dress should not give the remotest impression of funerary garb.

Powers  &8^]

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 01:04:53 PM »
The thing about red was more about sex than brightness per se. It used to be associated with being a "scarlet woman" or was supposed to imply you'd slept with the groom!  ::) Yes, it's quite silly and old-fashioned.

Good grief... I had no idea that was ever a concept. I wore a reddish dress to my BIL's wedding. Hope no one thought that!  :o

IMHO the only color I won't wear to a wedding is white or a cream color. And I'm like the OP, tired of seeing everyone in black at weddings so am always going for color these days.

Like the scene in Gone With The Wind, where Rhett makes Scarlett wear her red dress to Melanie's party.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »
The thing about red was more about sex than brightness per se. It used to be associated with being a "scarlet woman" or was supposed to imply you'd slept with the groom!  ::) Yes, it's quite silly and old-fashioned.

Good grief... I had no idea that was ever a concept. I wore a reddish dress to my BIL's wedding. Hope no one thought that!  :o

IMHO the only color I won't wear to a wedding is white or a cream color. And I'm like the OP, tired of seeing everyone in black at weddings so am always going for color these days.

Like the scene in Gone With The Wind, where Rhett makes Scarlett wear her red dress to Melanie's party.

Well, in the book, it's green, but it has much the same implications: that she'd rolled in the grass with Ashley.

Vita brevis, ars longa