News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:46:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Corsages/Boutineers for family members--real vs fake  (Read 4695 times)

JoieGirl7

Corsages/Boutineers for family members--real vs fake
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:08:30 AM »
It's my job to arrange for corsages and boutineers.

I am planning on making all the boutineers out of silk flowers.  Is this also allowable for corsages?  Or should I go the fresh flower route?

As far as corsages are concerned...  the bride's color is blue and she is having blue hydrangeas in her bouquet.  I was thinking of making silk corsages that are just a small hydrangea bloom with ribbon would be nice and I could get them in white or blue, or the greenish one.

Was also thinking of making the ones for the mother of the bride and myself be a bit more individual because I could find out what she is going to be wearing.

Anyone have any advice on all of this?

Lynnv

Re: Corsages/Boutineers for family members--real vs fake
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 08:42:05 AM »
I see no reason why they couldn't be silk.

Personally, all of my flowers (including my bouquet) were silk.  I still (coming up on 20 years now) have my bouquet in one of my display cabinets and it looks as good as it did the day I got married.

My mom and my DH's mom still have theirs.  DH's boutonniere is pinned to the wedding photo we have hanging in one hallway.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »
I am biased toward fresh flowers in all situations.
But if they work for the boutonnieres, I see no reason why you should not use silk for the corsages as well. My concern would be that some flowers "translate" better than others. Depending on what looks the nicest, and what you have available, it could be better to use a secondary color from the color scheme, or a different bloom style to get the best final effect.

mime

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:27:25 PM »
I think it is just personal preference, unless the wedding was at a conservatory or gardens somewhere, then silk flowers could look out of place.

I was MOH in a wedding where all of us, including the bride had silk flowers and they were beautiful-- lots of lilies, IIRC. There were no weird comments at all about "fake flowers" from the peanut gallery.  ;)

For my wedding we had fresh flowers. I love fresh flowers, and liked having them in my late-winter wedding when absolutely nothing was in bloom. My boquet was just 3 calla lilies, and by the end of the evening one of them was "bruised", and a petal from MOH's corsage was yanked off by her toddler. Good thing I had no intention of trying to preserve any boquets-- they can take a lot of abuse by the end of the day!

baritone108

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:50:01 PM »
It's my job to arrange for corsages and boutineers.

I am planning on making all the boutineers out of silk flowers.  Is this also allowable for corsages?  Or should I go the fresh flower route?

I don't think there is a hard fast rule on this.  We've always gone with whatever the bride and attendants are carrying.  If they have real flowers then the corsages and boutineers do also.  Same if the bouquets are silk.

sparksals

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 11:21:37 PM »
What does the bride prefer?  I am particular to real flowers.  To me, silk looks cheap.  Jmho. 

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 06:15:38 PM »
All my wedding flowers were fakes, down from my bouquet to the ring bearers button hole that DH made at the last minute with our samples we were sent.

Got them from this website and everyone thought how lovely they were and were surprised they were fakes.

http://www.artificialweddingbouquets.com.au/

They came in a big box two months before the wedding. Everyone got to keep their flowers and they looked gorgeous, it was a summer wedding so we didn't have to worry about wilting. Also, fake flowers was the only way we could have red roses and Lilly of the valley, the flower for May when DH and I have our birthdays. They're very expensive fresh and only available in November, late spring.

bridalviolet

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
All my flowers were silk, too, right down to my bouquet. They were cheaper than the real thing, and sentimentally I wanted to keep my bouquet forever, so that's the route I went. I had a vintage/Victorian theme going, and we got some really quality silk flowers that we embellished with lace and pearls in the bouquets. Gorgeous.

gellchom

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »
I love fresh flowers, too, but I did love a wedding a couple of years ago where the bride -- who is both an artist and a conservationist -- made all the "flowers" in the bouquets, corsages, and centerpieces out of metal, with beads, etc.   They looked spectacular, and as the wedding was at a nature preserve, they were most fitting.  But not too many people have the skill and time to do that.

earthgirl

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
All of my wedding bouquets and boutonnieres were origami, I made them myself, as well as a place-card for all my guests with an origami flower attached to it.  The bouquets turned out beautifully, I'd had a couple of years of practice on those; the boutonnieres I was making for the first time (minus a few practice rounds) for the wedding, and they were not as great (they wouldn't sit flush against the tux and tilted forward).  Would real flowers and professionally made boutonnieres have looked more polished?  Absolutely.  But now everyone has something as a memento.  It makes me happy looking at them, at least, like when I see my FIL's boutonniere propped up on their mantle, four years after the wedding.  Presumably it makes him happy too, since it's still being displayed.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »
I personally favor silk, but there's not really a wrong answer. Either way you're good.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Luci

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 11:37:27 AM »
With silk, the timing is a lot easier if you  are making then, and they don't take as much care in the prewedding chaos at the venue! I think they look just as lovely, no one gets allergies triggered, and they can be kept if anyone wants to.

Fresh are lovely and I appreciate them, but am really neutral as a mother or other just an attendee at the wedding.

By the way, I've never seen a hydrangea small enough for a boutineer. Do you have a link for small ones? I'd love to see it.