News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 10:53:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What should the officiant wear? DECISION MADE Post #33  (Read 14580 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: What should the officiant wear? MORE INO Post 8 MORE Options Post 17
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 07:14:27 AM »
Happily, I'm of similar proportions to the OP, so I very much appreciate the dress shopping you guys are doing.  ;D

I love the fifth dress in Camlan's post. I need a new dress for my cruise in the fall and I think that one in teal would be amazing. Bonus: no shrug or wrap required!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:22:09 AM by ladyknight1 »
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

LadyL

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2015, 07:29:39 AM »
I like the updated options both the OP and camlan have linked. I think a solid color with minimal embellishments is the way to go - elegant, non-distracting. Wearing any sort of loud/busy print is likely to clash with *something* in the wedding (bridesmaid's dresses, decor, carpet at the venue) and since the officiant ends up in a lot of photos I don't think it's worth the risk.

Our officiant was a friend. She wore an all-black gown with beading and sequins to our black tie optional wedding. It was perfect because we were married on stage in a 20s theater, so the sparkle gave her outfit the glam factor while not distracting from myself or LordL. It photographed really well too. I attended another wedding where the officiant wore a dress with a flower print and it looked slightly "off" when she stood next to the floral arrangements on stage (which had a different type/color of flower than the dress - although if she'd matched that would have looked odd too).

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2015, 07:38:30 AM »
Happily, I'm of similar proportions to the OP, so I very much appreciate the dress shopping you guys are doing.  ;D

I love the fifth dress in Camlan's post. I need a new dress for my cruise in the fall and I think that one in teal would be amazing. Bonus: no shrug or wrap required!

Perfect! You buy it and I'll borrow it! LOL!!!

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

SamiHami

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 09:23:35 AM »
Well, the decision has been made! The bride messaged me on FB a little while ago, just about chatty things and the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. Since she was apparently not too busy, I went ahead and sent her links to several of the dresses under consideration and asked her if any of them looked good to her, and told her that it was no problem at all if she didn't like any of them. Well, lucky me! She picked the one I like best! So the winner is:

http://www.amazon.com/Avenue-Womens-Black-Crochet-Dress/dp/B00UMU3X6G/ref=sr_1_106?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1427677687&sr=1-106&keywords=plus+size+maxi+dress

Her comment was that she really liked the length and the crochet/lacey overlay.

Thanks for your help, everyone! It's been so much fun getting everyone's opinions...I certainly came a long way from the sunburst maxi dress I was first considering!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:26:24 AM by SamiHami »

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: What should the officiant wear? DECISION MADE Post #33
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »
Great!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Luci

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 09:49:12 AM »
Nice! I've stayed out of this but really enjoyed the posts.

I will grandmother of the bride soon, so was delighted to see what others thought about your options and offered opinions.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 10:06:25 AM »
Love the dress. Have fun at the wedding.  :)

gellchom

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
It's perfect!  You are going to be very happy with that one.  (I was hoping you would choose it.   :))

I know you will never regret keeping your look neutral for the ceremony.  I'm looking forward to hearing how you will accessorize it for the reception.

This is a good illustration of assumptions that sounded right initially -- in this case, that it should be something nontraditional and that "black would be too somber" -- not panning out.

You are going to be able to do so much with this versatile dress; it can go from casual events (as a maxi with sandals or boots and wooden or silver and turquoise jewelry, colorful beads, or a scarf and maybe a cardigan) to black tie events (with party shoes and dressy jewelry, bag, and wrap). I bet in a year you'll be wondering how you ever got along without it.

Have fun!

SamiHami

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2015, 10:19:56 AM »
I am pretty happy about it. Getting all the opinions and input from everyone here was invaluable. Sometimes I wonder what I would do without EHell to keep me straight! And I agree-this dress will be very versatile and I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it.

Alicia

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 10:46:05 AM »
wonderful.  lace is very trendy but classic.  Plus as you love prints a colorful pashmina will look great with it during the reception

pattycake

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2015, 02:29:06 PM »
Oh, I like the one you chose! didn't see it previously. I would like that for me too.

NFPwife

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 02:38:27 PM »
I love your final choice!

I also love your style, in general. I might buy the sunburst dress, in fact. :D

Luci

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 02:53:22 PM »
I am pretty happy about it. Getting all the opinions and input from everyone here was invaluable. Sometimes I wonder what I would do without EHell to keep me straight! And I agree-this dress will be very versatile and I'm sure I'll get a lot of use out of it.

Just for the record: your inputs on eHell have been pretty great, too.

SamiHami

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 05:48:21 PM »

Just for the record: your inputs on eHell have been pretty great, too.
:)

What a sweet thing to say! Thank you!

MMHou

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2015, 01:37:49 AM »
I've been following this thread, but I didn't post earlier because I really didn't feel like I had any valuable input. But seeing the dress you chose I have to say two things...(1) I do think that was a great choice, and (2) I want that dress!!