News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 07:03:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Corsages: Wrist vs. Pinned  (Read 5397 times)

gellchom

Re: Corsages: Wrist vs. Pinned
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 11:41:13 AM »
I agree with Toots, as usual.  A corsage is an ornament, like jewelry; no requirement that everyone's match, including that they be worn on the same side, or that they must be all wrist or all pinned, or anything else. 

Don't overthink or overcontrol this.  Ask each person whether she would prefer pin or wrist (or shoulder?) and then let her wear it however and wherever she likes.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 02:02:09 PM »
16 and 18 are old enough to have their own opinions (and possibly to resent having their mother asked on their behalf).

There's nothing wrong with asking everyone directly. Your headcount for corsages is low enough!

gellchom

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 02:17:59 PM »
16 and 18 are old enough to have their own opinions (and possibly to resent having their mother asked on their behalf).

There's nothing wrong with asking everyone directly. Your headcount for corsages is low enough!

Well, but, in the interest of efficiency, I could see asking Mom to ask them and get back to you.  Not every family has a dynamic where that would be resented.  I might even do that with an adult child -- like, I could see my niece asking me what my daughter, my daughter-in-law, and I would prefer, knowing I'd probably be talking to them soon.  And (maybe not so likely in this case, but in general) Mom might happen to know; I know that if someone asked me about my family, I'd need to check with DD and DIL, but I could answer for my mom, because I know she prefers wrist.

Pooky582

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 02:35:23 PM »
I couldn't care less about the side either, it's just what I read recently.  It didn't say why that is the rule, though, so I wonder. And I only wanted to keep it from my cousins so it was a fun surprise for them. I wouldn't be asking their mom because I didn't trust their judgment or anything of the sort.

And both our moms are absolutely clueless to anything etiquette, so I thought I'd ask the experts first.  ;)

Thank you all!