News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:36:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Offer of "help" I wish to ignore  (Read 9971 times)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
Re: Offer of "help" I wish to ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »
Hi Giraffe, speaking as somebody who has an occasionally-visible health problem and gets all sorts of intrusive questions when it is noticeable, I feel your pain. >:( I think it would be fine to message back with something short, like "Thank you for your concern, and I appreciate your thoughts and prayers, but I don't have time to get together."

To everybody else: Oh yes, this is intrusive and annoying and when you are on the receiving end of it it feels like you are just an object of pity and curiosity,  which gets very tiresome, but you aren't socially 'allowed' to object. It is treating somebody like they are a spectacle, not a person. Please don't do this. If you were close enough to somebody to actually be of help in a situation like this, you probably already know what is going on. If you just want to find out what's happening,  please restrain your curiosity in the interests of courtesy.
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Runningstar

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 07:27:26 PM »
. If you were close enough to somebody to actually be of help in a situation like this, you probably already know what is going on. If you just want to find out what's happening,  please restrain your curiosity in the interests of courtesy.

This is true, many times I have had to stop myself from being overly nosy when I wanted to be helpful.  With most people it is usually well intentioned, but really can be a nuisance.  I'd say something like what previous posters have suggested.  Many people have to tell little lies everyday, such as saying "I'm fine, thank you", or hello to someone that you don't like.  Be polite, brief and careful to word it so that she doesn't expect a get together with you.

bopper

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 08:13:01 AM »
"Although this (wheelchair) is new to you, it isn't to me. I have been living with this for a bit.  My home church has been praying for me, but thanks so much."