News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 05:24:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You should cook because you're a woman UPDATE p#49  (Read 27525 times)

Margo

Re: You should cook because you're a woman
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 03:37:35 AM »
MrKitty, do you have an update?

------

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 07:03:44 AM »
Yes and no.  I'm still waiting for a return call.  I've left two voicemails and sent an email yesterday. So far, I've not heard back.  But the Pastor is saying mass on Sunday, so I'll try to catch him then.

darkprincess

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2015, 02:30:37 PM »
Yes and no.  I'm still waiting for a return call.  I've left two voicemails and sent an email yesterday. So far, I've not heard back.  But the Pastor is saying mass on Sunday, so I'll try to catch him then.

If he hasn't made any attempt to respond to you, missed call, voice mail etc you have your answer.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2015, 03:06:30 PM »
Silence was a good way to go, though I agree that Nutrax's advice is the best I've seen.  Just straight-up professional.

Either way, you did better than I would have.  Just reading that made my hands shake.  I would have probably said something very regrettable.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

DanaJ

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 01:09:24 PM »
Any update?

The scenario reminds me a bid of a clod TV host on the red carpet asking Mayim Bialik from Big Bang Theory if people on the street expect her to actually know calculus. Poor man hadn't done his homework, as Bialik has a doctorate degree in neuroscience from UCLA. Her answer was a simple "Acutally, I'm well trained in calculus. I'm a neuroscientist."

Kaypeep

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2015, 02:25:59 PM »
I just saw a clever retort to the cooking question.  While speed dating a man asked this woman if she could cook, and her reply was  "Yes. Can you build a house?"

shhh its me

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2015, 12:03:08 AM »
Any update?

The scenario reminds me a bid of a clod TV host on the red carpet asking Mayim Bialik from Big Bang Theory if people on the street expect her to actually know calculus. Poor man hadn't done his homework, as Bialik has a doctorate degree in neuroscience from UCLA. Her answer was a simple "Acutally, I'm well trained in calculus. I'm a neuroscientist."

I don't think that's a women don't do science thing though , its more an actors , especially child actors who have been working steadily for 20+ years, don't happen to also have PHDs  in the fields they play on sitcoms.   But yeah thats basic research opps.

Danika

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2015, 12:33:04 AM »
Any update?

I don't think that's a women don't do science thing though , its more an actors , especially child actors who have been working steadily for 20+ years, don't happen to also have PHDs  in the fields they play on sitcoms.   But yeah thats basic research opps.

But don't most people learn calculus if they go to college? And a lot of Americans have college degrees so it's not a stretch to think she might have a bachelor's. I went to an engineering and science school so calculus and diff. eq. were required, but I thought all universities required calculus no matter what you majored in. Am I wrong?

shhh its me

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2015, 12:58:19 AM »
Any update?

But don't most people learn calculus if they go to college? And a lot of Americans have college degrees so it's not a stretch to think she might have a bachelor's. I went to an engineering and science school so calculus and diff. eq. were required, but I thought all universities required calculus no matter what you majored in. Am I wrong?

No , every degree doesn't require calculus.  To my knowledge they all require a math or logic course but there may be a few dozen to chose from.

I still wouldn't think assuming "She/he doesn't have a degree." is sexist in the case of any person working  successfully in the same profession since childhood.

I think we're getting off track though.

TootsNYC

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »
Any update?

Yes, you are wrong.

I never learned calculus. I studied mass communications, and I wasn't required to study calculus.

Also--a "child actor who has been working steadily for 20+years" may not have gone to college. Or, they may have studied one of the humanities, which may not require calculus.

I think it's more: most actors, no matter how long they've been working as an actor, don't actually do in real life the things their characters do onscreen.

And yes, the fact that she started in acting a long time ago probably fed into it. I would ask the same question of whoever plays Sheldon.

Firecat

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »
Any update?

Yes, you are wrong.

I never learned calculus. I studied mass communications, and I wasn't required to study calculus.

Also--a "child actor who has been working steadily for 20+years" may not have gone to college. Or, they may have studied one of the humanities, which may not require calculus.

I think it's more: most actors, no matter how long they've been working as an actor, don't actually do in real life the things their characters do onscreen.

And yes, the fact that she started in acting a long time ago probably fed into it. I would ask the same question of whoever plays Sheldon.

My undergrad degree didn't require calculus, either. I took a logic course and a linguistics course that fulfilled the math requirements.

Carotte

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 07:18:54 AM »

The actors of the main cast must have been asked multiple times about it, like do they actually understand what they are talking about, are they geeks in real life... (I think Jim Parson who plays Sheldon as been known to say that he doesn't know much about popular/geek culture at all.)

Some well know musicians and actors have pretty high degrees (never knew James Franco had a PhD for example) or have even teaching gigs in well known universities.
It's more in the delivery than in the question that you'll find sexism, and sometimes it won't be about gender but about a bias against "dumb" actors.
Plus statistically it's not often an actor will play the role of someone in a field they studied for so that's an easy fall back question  "so Actor, what do you know about X which you portray everyweek?".
Yesterday I saw a tv host ask Thomas Middleditch (Silicon valley - tv show about a tech start up) if he feels he need to be tech savy - it's just a way to relate the actor to his role.
He even asked the same question as a segway with Nick Offerman (Park and recs  - Ron Swanson ) whose character I think isn't tech savy at all.

So yeah, fail from the part of the person who made no research what so ever.

Cheapie

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 10:25:32 PM »

The actors of the main cast must have been asked multiple times about it, like do they actually understand what they are talking about, are they geeks in real life... (I think Jim Parson who plays Sheldon as been known to say that he doesn't know much about popular/geek culture at all.)

Some well know musicians and actors have pretty high degrees (never knew James Franco had a PhD for example) or have even teaching gigs in well known universities.
It's more in the delivery than in the question that you'll find sexism, and sometimes it won't be about gender but about a bias against "dumb" actors.
Plus statistically it's not often an actor will play the role of someone in a field they studied for so that's an easy fall back question  "so Actor, what do you know about X which you portray everyweek?".
Yesterday I saw a tv host ask Thomas Middleditch (Silicon valley - tv show about a tech start up) if he feels he need to be tech savy - it's just a way to relate the actor to his role.
He even asked the same question as a segway with Nick Offerman (Park and recs  - Ron Swanson ) whose character I think isn't tech savy at all.

So yeah, fail from the part of the person who made no research what so ever.

Brian May of Queen has a PhD in astrophysics and was appointed Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University.  He held the post until 2013.  I think that is the coolest way ever to follow up a successful rock n roll career!

TabathasGran

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2015, 07:53:05 AM »
I think I may have said, "Am I in the correct room? I understood this to be an unemployment support group for the Parrish. Instead it seems like a network marketing meeting for men who want to sell cooking products?"

Okay, maybe not the last sentence but I would definitely make it clear that it was not the meeting that was advertised and that attempting to run off parrishoners on the basis of gender is not cool.

Twik

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2015, 08:33:12 PM »
Any update?

There is limited benefit of calculus to, say, an English major, so no, it is not a requirement for any field of study where it would not be relevant at most NA universities.

Actually, I took two years of it for my science degree, and have never used it in any professional capacity, so if you're not in the hard sciences, it's in many ways a waste of your educational dollar.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.