News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 08:03:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Did you read my email?" "Did you read my reply?"  (Read 14393 times)

Margo

Re: "Did you read my email?" "Did you read my reply?"
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 08:44:53 AM »
I think the trick is to NOT give them what they need in the verbal conversation.  If you always give them what they need when they follow up verbally, they'll never change.  But if they know that you won't answer them verbally, then it could train them out of asking you. 

I think this is important.

I also think that the suggestion to deflect them early on is a good one - so when they start with "did you get my e-mail" but before they start describing it, you answer "I got the one about the blue widgets - I emailed you back. Let me know if you have any follow up questions once you've had a look at that"

The other thing which may help is if they start to repeat the question, put them off - "I'm in the middle of something at the moment. Could you take [another] look at my reply to see  if that answers your question, if not, let me know and I will expand on the bit you're having trouble with" - in other words, you are helping, you're making it clear you are helping, but you are also creating a situation where you don;t gove them instanct gratification.

I agree also with the poster who said that calling them out specifically may be the way to go if there is a specific person who repeatedly does this.

EllenS

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 09:00:21 AM »
When they ask "Did you see the email I sent you?"

Reply with: "Yes, I did, and I already replied with the anser."

When they proceed to ask the question in person, go ahead and respond with "Like I said, I already emailed you with that information."  Try to keep the tone light.

This is perfectly appropriate and polite. No need to go over the same ground twice.

Very often, when we feel put-upon and frustrated, it's because we are caught in an unreasonable situation.  Trust that feeling!

Jones

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 09:13:59 AM »
Smile and nod through the repeated question, then a cheerful "That's what I thought you needed, very good. I sent you the answer and it's pretty detailed, so take a look and let me know if you have any follow up questions, okay? "
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 11:41:56 AM »
Me: [Answers question, verbally repeating everything I've already sent them in the email]

As the man said, "well, there's your problem." You've taught them that they don't need to check for a reply e-mail from you. They don't need to read it. You will happily give them the information to them directly. Here's the new way.

Me: It's all in the e-mail. I've got to get back to the TPS Report now. Please read the e-mail. If anything is missing, send a reply and I'll deal with it.

Later, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
Co-worker e-mail:  Question, blah, blah, blah.
Your reply email:  Talk to me about it tomorrow (after lunch, this afternoon, etc.).

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 12:46:33 PM »
Would it be OK to reply to their initial email with something like "would you prefer the answer in an email, on paper or in a one on one conversation?"

rashea

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 12:53:13 PM »
"Yes, and I took the time to write it up for you, as it would be hard to give verbally. Why don't you call if you need any additional help with it."
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: "Did you ready my email?" "Did you read my reply?"
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2015, 02:31:29 PM »
It's one of the modern office annoyances I'm afraid. Something many people do.

If it's really irking you try the following:

Coworker: "So did you see that email I sent you?"
WW: "Did you see the reply I sent you?"
Coworker: "Oh no, not yet. [Cheerfully asks question again]"
WW: "It's all in the email I sent which is very detailed. But if you have any further queries feel free to stop by and talk to me about it."

Hopefully if you keep directing them to the email they'll get the hint

That's the approach I like.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

TabathasGran

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 10:06:03 PM »
I think the trick is to NOT give them what they need in the verbal conversation.  If you always give them what they need when they follow up verbally, they'll never change.  But if they know that you won't answer them verbally, then it could train them out of asking you. 

I think this is important.

I also think that the suggestion to deflect them early on is a good one - so when they start with "did you get my e-mail" but before they start describing it, you answer "I got the one about the blue widgets - I emailed you back. Let me know if you have any follow up questions once you've had a look at that"

The other thing which may help is if they start to repeat the question, put them off - "I'm in the middle of something at the moment. Could you take [another] look at my reply to see  if that answers your question, if not, let me know and I will expand on the bit you're having trouble with" - in other words, you are helping, you're making it clear you are helping, but you are also creating a situation where you don;t gove them instanct gratification.

I agree also with the poster who said that calling them out specifically may be the way to go if there is a specific person who repeatedly does this.

I like this approach also.

Honestly, I think some people just like chit chatting and are looking for ways to engage when they do this. It's okay to deflect them.

Sounds like you are in possibly in an open floor plan? I started getting up and walking away (to get coffee, take a bathroom break or locate someone I needed to see in person) whenever a "talking unnecessarily about issues I had already addressed" culprit came my way. So I'd say "I sure did, check your email for my reply and we can catch up later if you still have questions as I walked away. I might add "sorry, I'm in the middle of a few things just now but we can schedule time if needed."

Dialing my phone, or becoming engrossed in something on my computer works equally well. I realize this is passive aggressive now that I have typed it out, but it evolved rather unintentionally as a result of working in a in environment where not everyone picks up the signals of when it's time to end a conversation and let a person get back to their work.

Autumn Rose

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 10:17:08 PM »
yes - love Irishkitty's answer!!!   I would add:

Coworker: "So did you see that email I sent you?"
WW: "Did you see the reply I sent you?"

YOU/WW:    "What???  You haven't checked Your email yet?    (SMILE)   I replied "***" ago!    The email I sent is very detailed. But if you have any further queries feel free to stop by and talk to send me an email with any trouble you might have!    (SMILE)

Its always helpful to have documentation of your time, my friend.    Lazy people can take up a lot of your time!    Feel free to use these "time wasters" in your review....and then show how if you did *this* instead, it would (save time/generate revenue/etc)

tash112194

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
I usually go with:
"Did you see the email I sent you?" - cut them off here - "Yep, I sent you one back."
If it looks like they want to hang around hoping you'll answer in person so they don't actually have to read your email, then I'd go with "I think I answered your question, but email me back if you read mine and don't find everything you're looking for."

Honestly what's more frustrating to me, (and happens more often in my workplace) is that people skim my emails (when I've included every piece of information they need) to ask me "Can you also give me the x number" (which is already in the email I sent them!) and in that case I either say, Yes, as stated below, X number is 123" or I highlight it below and write "See Below"
I usually go with pretty blunt on that because I don't want to teach them that they don't need to read my emails. But I also send emails like:
I am looking for X piece of information.
Part Number = X
PO #  = X
Serial No = X
Shipping Date = X
So I don't really think there's an excuse lol.

Then if I get an "Ooops didnt see that" email back, I reply with "No problem, I always put as much info as I can since I'm not sure how you look up stuff vs. how I look up stuff.

KenveeB

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2015, 12:29:20 PM »
Me: [Answers question, verbally repeating everything I've already sent them in the email]

As the man said, "well, there's your problem." You've taught them that they don't need to check for a reply e-mail from you. They don't need to read it. You will happily give them the information to them directly. Here's the new way.

Me: It's all in the e-mail. I've got to get back to the TPS Report now. Please read the e-mail. If anything is missing, send a reply and I'll deal with it.

Later, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I agree with this. You've shown people that it's okay to just come up to you for the answer if they don't feel like checking their email. You can politely and professionally start letting them know otherwise.

TootsNYC

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 12:33:55 PM »
I have some alternate approaches for you.

Typical same day situation:

9am: Coworker sends me an email asking question
9.05am: I reply in full with complete answers and illustrated examples.

10 am: Coworker comes past my desk and we have this conversation:

Coworker: "So did you see that email I sent you? [blah blah repeating everything in email I've already answered an hour ago]"
Me: "Did you see the reply I sent you?"
Coworker: "Oh no, not yet. [Cheerfully asks question again expecting me to respond verbally and tell them everything I've already put into writing in the email they haven't bothered to read]"
Me: [Interrupts and says, "I already answered this inmy email; I'm going to let you read it there, I need to get back to work here."] [Answers question, verbally repeating everything I've already sent them in the email]

Typical over night situation:

5 pm (just before leaving work): Coworker sends me an email asking question

Next day 8 am: I reply in full with complete answers and illustrated examples.

9 am As coworker walks in door (and hasn't yet started up their laptop or checked their email) we have this conversation:

Coworker: "So did you see that email I sent you? [blah blah repeating everything in email I've already answered an hour ago]"
Me: "Did you see the reply I sent you?"
Coworker: "Oh no, not yet. [Cheerfully asks question again expecting me to respond verbally and tell them everything I've already put into writing in the email they haven't bothered to read]"
Me: [Interrupts and says, "I already answered this inmy email; I'm going to let you read it there, I need to get back to work here."] Answers question, verbally repeating everything I've already sent them in the email]

I'm getting very frustrated with this as I feel like I'm doing the same work twice. Either wait for my written reply (and read it when I send it) or forgo the email and come ask me verbally. It makes me feel like there's no point answering the email if they're going to just ignore what I've written. But at the same time, I have to answer the email because I don't know if they're urgently waiting on the answers.

Is there any polite way to get the point across that "I've answered that question in full in the email I sent you several hours ago, why haven't you read it yet but instead are making me do the same work twice and that frustrates me intensely and wastes both our time", but you know, without actually saying that.

Or am I being unreasonable about how people normally behave and this is something perfectly normal that I should expect to happen in my job and I just need to take a deep breath and get over myself?

[Edited for spelling.]

You are in control of what -you- do and say, and you don't have to participate in this by repeating everything. Just refuse to do so. Say, "I sent it in the email, you can read it there."

You can even say, "I don't want to repeat to you verbally everything I just put in the email. Read the email."

You can even say, as your first response, "Yes, please read your email--all the details are there. Let's not rehash this verbally."

bopper

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 12:34:50 PM »
I think if you say "No" like this you should be okay:

"Yes! I have already replied.  I am sorry, I have to finish the TPS report right now but if you have any questions please let me know."

EMuir

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
What you say is good, but you have to include appropriate body language. Do not turn around or toward them. Keep working, turn your head to respond, and then keep on.  If they ask a followup question, tell them to email you if they have questions, and keep working. Do not appear to be open to further conversation.