News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 11:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Did you read my email?" "Did you read my reply?"  (Read 11540 times)

TootsNYC

Re: "Did you read my email?" "Did you read my reply?"
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »
Also, maybe instead of "did you see my reply?" say, "Yes, I sent you all the details in the email--everything's there."

So give them a positive, and a direction.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
I wonder if he's using the question about the email just as a conversation opener? Maybe he just wants to talk to you about something (anything) and the email is a good enough topic.  He might be flirting or he might just want a friend at work.

Not that this would excuse his behavior even if it were the case.  Making both of you waste time at work is not the way to go about making a new friend!  And everyone else has had good suggestions so far for how to  make it stop.

tash112194

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2015, 03:03:20 PM »
I wonder if he's using the question about the email just as a conversation opener? Maybe he just wants to talk to you about something (anything) and the email is a good enough topic.  He might be flirting or he might just want a friend at work.

Not that this would excuse his behavior even if it were the case.  Making both of you waste time at work is not the way to go about making a new friend!  And everyone else has had good suggestions so far for how to  make it stop.

I got the impression from the OP that this was multiple people who all do the same thing. But I could definitely be wrong. Maybe the OP will check back in and let us know if it's just some lazy or flirtatious guy and not her whole work team  :)
I'm rooting for the -just one annoying guy- scenario ;D

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »
"I sent you a reply email.  Excuse me, I need to get back to what I was doing.  Let me know if you have questions after you've looked at what I sent you already."

Don't let them ask the question again.

Yvaine

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »

I got the impression from the OP that this was multiple people who all do the same thing. But I could definitely be wrong. Maybe the OP will check back in and let us know if it's just some lazy or flirtatious guy and not her whole work team  :)

Yeah, if it's flirting, then everybody at all my jobs ever has been flirting, regardless of gender or sexual orientation.  ;D This is an endemic annoyance. I'm not the OP but I've also experienced this all.the.time.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 11:23:52 PM »

OP here.

It's definitely not one guy. It's several different male and female colleagues, and I sincerely know I'm not that universally attractive!  ;D

It's sort of one instance of behaviour from Coworker 1 at 9 am, then another instance from Coworker 2 at lunch time, then Coworker 3 the next morning. I just got hit with about 5 instances in one week, so it got more annoying than usual for being clumped together.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just need to work on being positive with my redirection.
<3

Bees

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 07:55:10 PM »
Turn to your computer and open up the email he sent and read it back to him. Ask if that is the item in question.  Then open your answer and read the first point then offer to print it for him.
 It will slow you down once but might cut down on future requests.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2015, 12:17:07 PM »
Turn to your computer and open up the email he sent and read it back to him. Ask if that is the item in question.  Then open your answer and read the first point then offer to print it for him.
 It will slow you down once but might cut down on future requests.

I strongly disagree with this advice. All that this will do is reinforce the belief that these people's time and effort are more valuable than WolfWay's. That she will do the heavy lifting because they are too lazy to do it themselves. The only way to get this to stop is to stop rewarding them for their laziness. Offering to print the e-mail out is a reward -- they don't have to do it themselves.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 07:26:58 PM »
Would your boss be okay with an answer like "I've answered all the email that was here when I arrived this morning. If you don't see an answer when you open your email, check the address and resend it, and I'll deal with it as soon as possible"?

That more or less answers what they asked, but puts any burden of time spent checking back on them, not on you. In practice, it doesn't burden them--they open their email and find the information they were looking for--and it saves you time and frustration.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 03:20:13 PM »
You could also just say, "If you had checked your email before asking me, you'd see that I replied already."