News:

• February 22, 2018, 03:29:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Did you make a lot of money?"  (Read 5752 times)

Kimberami

Re: "Did you make a lot of money?"
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
I would smile and say "I had a lot of fun."  Rinse, lather, repeat.  Treat the odious question as you would an odious body function...it didn't happen. 
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

magicdomino

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »
To borrow from another thread, say "I made my nut."  See if they can figure out what it means.  :-)

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
If it's a customer, answer the question they should be asking. "Enough for me to want to come back next year!"

For the record, I think it's pretty rude to be asking you financial specifics.

Possum

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2015, 01:25:53 PM »
I also travel to a lot of conferences and totally get how this is annoying. When my husband or parents ask, "Did you sell a lot?" What they're asking is, "Was it worth your time to go and do you think you'll go again next year?" Not in an invasive way, they just get concerned if I go to an event and don't feel it's worth my time. But with other people, being asked about sales feels like an invasive question. Like, "Shouldn't you be getting a day job soon?"

I think your deflections and the ones suggested above are good. Something else to consider: Personal safety. Strangers may be asking about your sales because they're sizing you up for a potential theft. At the end of events, vendors/artists often end up walking across dark parking lots, weighed down with equipment and bags and their cash count. It's not unheard of for them to be targeted by thieves who have watched the vendors collecting cash all day. So please be careful about how publicly you handle your cash and who is around you while you're walking to your room/car.
My cash box is carefully handled, and when the con is over, the money is rarely all in it, for I am sneaky and have many boxes packed into the van.  If someone mugs me for it, I'm willing to give it up.

I'm still floored that anyone other than my non-existent partner would feel they could ask me not just if I did well, or if I sold a lot, but how much I made.  I mean, really!

bopper

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2015, 03:32:59 PM »
"Why do you ask?"