News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 02:38:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Another Reason why Women Should Stay in the Kitchen"  (Read 7451 times)

delphinium

"Another Reason why Women Should Stay in the Kitchen"
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »
My daughter is a sportswriter for the local newspaper and also blogs about sports.

Some troglodyte took exception to one of her blogs.  This is what he said:  "If you're going to WAX INTELLECTUAL at least try to know what you're talking about, _itch......Geesh!  Another reason why women should stay in the kitchen.

It was actually a minor point.  She mentioned an athlete had "foot problems."  Dude said the foot problems were much worse,  blah blah blah.

The posters on here are so eloquent when it comes to a good comeback.  Any suggestions or should she just ignore it? >:(

Zizi-K

Re: "Another Reason why Women Should Stay in the Kitchen"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »
What was the situation in which this lovely sentiment was communicated? If it was face to face, that's different than if he is an anonymous commenter on a blog. Trolls on blogs do not really deserve responses, imo, and the sentiment is so retrograde, it hardly requires a reply. In a face to face conversation, there are lots of options, from "Did you really just say that?" to "Wow...nice." to "Oh, the 1950s just called and they want their ideology back." to lots of other better responses that I'm not thinking of just now.

twoferrets

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:55:39 AM »
I'd ignore it. People like that are just trying to push buttons, and anything your daughter posts in response is just going to make him feel noticed.

Goosey

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:57:12 AM »
If she's going to be a blogger, she needs thicker skin or a way to manage the comments on her blog. This is sexist and rude, but mild by internet standards.

Ignore it or delete it.

Mantra of internet living: Don't feed the trolls.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:58:47 AM »
From Gaudy Night, by Dorothly L. Sayers,
"I mean, [he] may be a perverse old idiot, but it's more dignified not to say so in so many words. A bland and deadly courtesy is more devastating, don't you think?"

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

TurtleDove

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 09:08:58 AM »
I would ignore it. Anyone who reads what he wrote will be able to form their own opinions. Your DD doesn't need to respond to something so ridiculous.

kudeebee

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 09:34:20 AM »
Ignore it.  I agree with others that if she is going to blog or have articles published on which others can comment, she will get replies like this as well as ones that disagree/want to argue with her.

FoxPaws

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 09:40:29 AM »
He's not making her look like an ignorant neanderthal. Ignore.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 09:45:08 AM »
Ignore it. 

I've found that internet comment sections tend to be filled with terrible, terrible things.

MrTango

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:29 AM »
I vote for ignoring it.

Any come-back or attempt to chastise the guy runs the risk of coming off as insecure.

z_squared82

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
Good reporters don't engage the crazy in the comment section.

Seriously, as a former newspaper copy editor, it never turns out well.

She should avoid reading the comments section b/c it will just make her want to tear her hair out, and let the tech/website people (oh, let's be serious, that one guy who covers a group of five papers) deal with the trolls as necessary.

TootsNYC

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »
If she's going to be a blogger, she needs thicker skin or a way to manage the comments on her blog. This is sexist and rude, but mild by internet standards.

Ignore it or delete it.

Mantra of internet living: Don't feed the trolls.

Yep! And don't feed them even mentally in your own head.

lakey

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 11:31:18 AM »
People who make nasty, anonymous posts are trying to get a rise out of you. I would ignore it.

If I did respond, it would be a sarcastic, "Ooh, that really hurt." But honestly, I wouldn't give him any attention at all.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »
Maybe it is because I'm in my fifties but comments like that, I just mentally shrug my shoulders.  I don't care what his opinion is of me or women in general.  He is not significant enough for my attention.  I imagine if some guy said/did something like that in real life I'd just say "that's nice" and move on.  In way, it is a compliment - he cared enough about your daughter's opinion to comment.  She has more sway over his day then he should ever have over hers.

Addy

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 11:47:38 AM »
Was this on her own blog? I'm not a techie, but isn't there a way to approve comments before they are published, or delete them?